PDA

View Full Version : Arindelia - The Northern Continent

Immolate
02-12-2011, 11:15 PM
My submission for the last challenge was Praamador, a world created for my friend Dan, based on his instruction. Praamador was quite small, and had been the subject of one previous campaign. My concept of Praamador filled in some blanks, but remained faithful to the world as it was known to the players.

Dan requested that I create a second landmass, one that was bigger and to the north. He gave me a very rough sketch without so much as a single name. It was basically rectangular with a place in the middle of the southern coast shielded by mountains, and a city in the middle of the east coast with a "natural barrier creating a channel", which I took to mean a choke point, which you can find at South Harbor.

The northeast is "hilly, higher" and there's a sketch of the northwest mountain mass. I took some license. I haven't showed it to Dan yet but I will as I need him to make some edits at this stage. This uses the same faux-Ramah style that I used for Praamador. Your commentary and suggestions are welcome.

Gidde
02-13-2011, 01:21 AM
Looks great. Did you use the treething for the trees? Their placement looks great.

jtougas
02-13-2011, 01:25 AM
These are beautiful. My only tick (and it's a tiny mostly personal one) is that the forest text is a bit hard to read :)

Immolate
02-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks and yes, tree thing was used. It's a little quirky but it's hard to beat the effect.

I agree on the forest text, but now that you mention it I know it isn't just me.

Steel General
02-13-2011, 09:30 AM
I like it so far, but for me the green of the forest clashes with the 'olive' land color.

LonewandererD
02-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Nice work, one critique though, against the somewhat muted background colours the green forests seem to "pop" out a bit too noticeably.

EDT: Okay, ignore this. Steel said pretty much the same thing just before I posted this.

-D-

Immolate
02-13-2011, 06:13 PM
I worked with my wife to try to tone down the forests (she's not colorblind). I created town markers that are less colorful and smaller than the ones on Praamador.

waldronate
02-13-2011, 07:15 PM
I would recommend a half-pixel blur on the forests (and possibly some of the border elements). Everything else is nice and smooth, but the forests are a bit jaggedy and it jars me a bit.

Immolate
02-13-2011, 11:36 PM
I tried to eliminate the jaggies with marginal success.

waldronate
02-14-2011, 01:53 AM
33479I think it looks much better with the edges of the trees smoothed slightly. The forests are still distracting for me, though. I think it might be that the trees go much, much darker at their darkest than the mountains do. The mountains are always roughly a mid-gray to light gray; the trees go from near-black to white (paper color). Bringing up the darks on the trees might also reduce the need for the glow on the labels over the forests.

The map as a whole is exceptionally well done (far better than I have done). But, I thought I'd try to see what a little more blur would do to the forests. The attachment shows the original one that I whined about, the updated version, and a little more blur on the forests. The Redwater Woods area is the original without the antialiasing you did; the Darkenwood area is the new revision, and the Thunderwood area. The blur did smooth out the levels in the forests a little, but I'm not sure it was worth the other effects.

Diamond
02-15-2011, 12:41 AM
I agree that the vibrant green of the forests on the first version was a bit much, but I think you took TOO much color out. To me, the forest just kind of blend in too much now with the rest of the landscape, color-wise. What about adding a slight darker olive wash to them?

I love those town icons - awesome.

wally-d-feed
02-15-2011, 08:48 AM
srsly ... what is the treething?

This is a very nice map. Considering the coastlines though ... I think they should be a little rougher in the north where the coastlines are actually covered with mountains ... just a thought though

Immolate
02-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Tree Thing (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?11361-TreeThing&highlight=ramah+tree+thing)

Immolate
02-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Okay made a few changes in response to specific recommendations. For those of you who are having fun with suggestions on the forest, here's your chance to tinker as well. The forest is composed of five layers... outlines, shading, colors, shadows, and a layer I have added called "murk".

Piscivorous
02-17-2011, 08:17 PM
I liked the original forests. Although a bit more colorful than the rest of the map, I thought the green was well subdued, yet completely recognizable from a distance. That being said, the text was a bit hard to read. I also like how the rivers cut through the tree line, leaving the viewer no doubt to their course.

My only remark outside the forests is that I think the city of Channip to the west of the Ehlminduran Forest has it's name snipped by the flow of the river, so you might want to move that text a bit to the left.

Other than that, all I can say is Dan should be really happy!

tilt
02-18-2011, 05:43 AM
looks fantastic Imm - great work as usual :)

Immolate
02-19-2011, 12:52 AM
One piece of advice I usually follow is advise on color since I can't sense it properly, but it looks as though as far as the forest issue is concerned on this map, opinions are quite varied and subjective. I'll probably give it another look with my wife looking over my shoulder and I'll go with whatever she decides looks the best. If I'm going to please one person, it is probably wise if it be her.

Thank you for the tip on the label and thanks for the kind words tilt!

tilt
02-19-2011, 05:20 AM
you're very welcome - and I second you on the wife remark :)

moutarde
02-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Just took a minute to check out your forests, and I think Redrobes mentioned this earlier in the thread too, they look great to me, just a little bit pixellated. I put a 0.2 gaussian blur (3 times) onto the tree shading layer and the tree mask layer. I think it softens it up pretty nicely, and looking kinda... smokey I guess you could say. It's fairly subtle, but I do think it makes a difference.

Ascension
02-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Good work, Mou. I've been trying to think about what it is that has me off on the forests the whole time...they don't seem to match the mtns quite right. They're crisper and darker (the lines not the color) and your blur is very subtle. I might go more or maybe lower the opacity a tad.

Immolate
02-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Okay Mou, took your advise but pumped it up to .3 and kicked the shade opacity down by 10% and I think I see what you mean by a smoky quality. It is rather appealing and has the added benefit of making the woods play better with the mountains and hills. Thanks for the points guys.

Ascension
02-21-2011, 01:59 AM
That looks better - the darkest parts of the trees match the darkest parts of the mtns.

moutarde
02-21-2011, 02:08 AM
That looks great Immolate :) One little thing that's nagging at me though, and this is by no means a criticism, is that it looks as though the forests are lighter in colour than the ground is. There's nothing wrong with that per say, it's just something that I'm not sure I've seen before.

Immolate
02-21-2011, 10:43 PM
One last tweak to darken the forests a bit and I think I'm done with the map proper. I may spend some time dolling the whole thing up a bit but pending Dan's mark-ups, I think the piece if functionally complete. Thanks muchly those of you who've taken the time to help make this project better than I could have made it alone.

landorl
02-23-2011, 10:06 AM
I think it looks great... good job!

Immolate
06-15-2011, 09:27 PM
I have an updated based on changes from the DM of the campaign.