PDA

View Full Version : February 2011 Challenge - Return of the Frogs

Sapiento
02-15-2011, 01:09 PM
My entry is a tribute to the German sci-fi series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raumpatrouille (Space Patrol The Fantastic Adventures of the Spaceship Orion).

Depicted is a report about a military operation that was a trap for the alien invasion forces. Everything done in Illustrator so far. I used Google sketchup to create 3D models of the ships and traced and drew them in Illustrator.

### Latest WIP ###

Gidde
02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Great start! Looking forward to seeing the rest :)

LonewandererD
02-16-2011, 02:54 AM
Looks very interesting but when I hear frogs, traps and see space I think Admiral Ackbar.

"IT'S A TRAP"

-D-

Jaxilon
02-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I just read through the entire attack sequence and what went down. Extremely well thought out and nicely drawn Sap. I'm wondering if inverting the entire thing might look better though. So it would be white letters on black negative or something. Anyway, as usual, a top notch entry.

Sapiento
02-17-2011, 02:48 PM
I just read through the entire attack sequence and what went down. Extremely well thought out and nicely drawn Sap. I'm wondering if inverting the entire thing might look better though. So it would be white letters on black negative or something. Anyway, as usual, a top notch entry.

Jax, thanks. And the inverting is a very good idea. Here we go.

### Latest WIP ###

Katto
02-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Weird idea S!

pindercarl
02-17-2011, 04:03 PM
I like the inversion, but I think I would like it more if the ships were "un-inverted."

Sapiento
02-18-2011, 09:59 AM
I like the inversion, but I think I would like it more if the ships were "un-inverted."

I tried it, but this mixture of b/w and w/b looks somewhat odd.

Jaxilon
02-20-2011, 01:14 AM
It does look more space-y this way.

If you were thinking about any coloring I'm thinking some green text like the old Monochrome IBM monitors (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/IBM_PC_5150.jpg) from back in the day might look cool in some of the outer boxes.

I like it but it does seem a little 'blaring' due to the strong contrast...Sort of overwhelms my eyes but maybe it's just me. My thought with the green is it might allow you to focus on the center first and then roll your eyes around to the other parts of the image? I'm not an expert at all that how to control the viewers eye but for me I did have to kind of force myself to focus on the text and read through it before I really appreciated the piece. If everyone thinks I'm nutty feel free to just ignore my insanity :)

Sapiento
02-22-2011, 03:18 AM
I was trying to catch the feeling of the old series, so green labels wouldn't feel right in my eyes. That's probably because I only know the b/w version of the series, although the special effects had been filmed in colour. But maybe I find another way to make the text more prominent.

Jaxilon
02-22-2011, 03:31 AM
Ah, lol, I missed that somehow but it's plain as day there. As always, feel free to ignore my meanderings :)

Steel General
02-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Something funky going on in this thread...just ignore this.

...ahh that seemed to have fixed it.

ennob
02-23-2011, 08:47 PM
It looks very cool but there is something funny about the planetary system. Shouldn't the bright side of the planets be facing the sun?

Sapiento
02-24-2011, 10:11 AM
It looks very cool but there is something funny about the planetary system. Shouldn't the bright side of the planets be facing the sun?

Would be true if the sun was white instead of black. But I try it and if I like it I make a new post.

ravells
02-25-2011, 10:16 AM
This map is all kinds of uber cool! I love it!!! Great 70's feel to it!!

Sapiento
02-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Thank you, ravs.

I followed ennobs suggestion and turned the sun white.

### Latest WIP ###