PDA

View Full Version : Signature crtieria

lostatsea
02-15-2011, 07:37 PM
To anyone who might know? I have noticed Quotes at the bottom of some posts and upon some research found they are part of the signature. i also found I was not eligible to have one.:(( Is there a criteria to be met to be qualified to have one . Say mininum Rep or rank etc ? Is that reserved for Moderators or such? Thanks for the info in advance.

Jaxilon
02-15-2011, 07:46 PM
well I think you are limited on what you can do here until you have 5 posts. As of now you have 4. Make one more and then see if you can set things up. I know at that point you will be able to send/receive private messages. It's a spam limiter to keep random junk from happening as much as possible. I hope that helps.

lostatsea
02-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the quick turn around . I'll see how that works out.

someguy
02-16-2011, 12:11 AM
So can you post a signature yet?

Ascension
02-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Yep, it's 5 posts for sigs and PMs. The sig ability is a new thing we put in within the past few days. Most of the spam here is just someone quoting a previous post and then putting in a spammy sig so we put a halt to that but I'm sure they'll try something else.

lostatsea
02-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Yes Guys I Have My Famous Last QUOTE Thanks

tilt
02-19-2011, 02:29 AM
congrats on getting your signature, as Ascension said holding it off for 5 posts is to get rid of x percent of the spammers. They usually just log on and make a signature without ever posting - with our new rules they can't do that.

Midgardsormr
02-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Um… so now you're forcing them to make nonsense posts in five threads instead of just one?

icedsnake
02-19-2011, 12:47 PM
hehe i dont post much that must be why i cant use the sig yet

oh wait , i can i just dont know how to html thingy and quotes work !

Searching and working ;0)

Redrobes
02-19-2011, 12:49 PM
@Mid, Sure, but its so much easier to spot nonsense posts and get the ban hammer out before google et al start linking us with pills. A lot of these posts are from bots with no sense of grammar or use of maps.

To any genuine mapper out there who likes posting nonsense for the sake of it - beware ! ;)

tilt
02-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Um… so now you're forcing them to make nonsense posts in five threads instead of just one?

and a lot of the spammers now know that posts might be moderated so they don't even post - just make a signature which then shows on their profile page

deleted 5 spammers who did post today however :)

Gidde
02-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Nonsense posts get caught pretty darn quickly, if they make it out of moderation at all ... I usually delete & ban 5-10 a day, as well.

someguy
02-20-2011, 02:15 AM
Dear Sir,

Confidential Business Proposal

Having consulted with my colleagues and based on the information gathered from the Nigerian Chambers Of Commerce And Industry, I have the privilege to request your assistance to transfer the sum of $47,500,000.00 (forty seven million, five hundred thousand United States dollars) into your accounts. The above sum resulted from an over-invoiced contract, executed, commissioned and paid for about five years (5) ago by a foreign contractor. This action was however intentional and since then the fund has been in a suspense account at The Central Bank Of Nigeria Apex Bank.

We are now ready to transfer the fund overseas and that is where you come in. It is important to inform you that as civil servants, we are forbidden to operate a foreign account; that is why we require your assistance. The total sum will be shared as follows: 70% for us, 25% for you and 5% for local and international expenses incidental to the transfer.

The transfer is risk free on both sides. I am an accountant with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC). If you find this proposal acceptable, we shall require the following documents:

(a) your banker's name, telephone, account and fax numbers.

(b) your private telephone and fax numbers —for confidentiality and easy communication.

(c) your letter-headed paper stamped and signed.

Alternatively we will furnish you with the text of what to type into your letter-headed paper, along with a breakdown explaining, comprehensively what we require of you. The business will take us thirty (30) working days to accomplish.

Please reply urgently.

Best regards

Captain Sarcasm

------

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Midgardsormr
02-20-2011, 02:44 AM
Heh. I've never seen a Nigerian scam letter so well written. If they could spell that well, they might even fool a few more people. Kinda sad how many fall for it as it is, though.