PDA

View Full Version : PS CS2 to CS5 - Are there compatibility issues?

e_i_pi
02-18-2011, 02:27 AM
Hi all,

I've been using Photoshop CS2 for quite a while, and am just about to get the key to install my copy of CS5. This installation is going to be on my new laptop (ie - a completely fresh installtion rather than an upgrade). I was wondering if anyone has had any compatibility issues with PSD files going from much earlier versions of Photoshop to newer versions?

tilt
02-18-2011, 03:30 AM
I don't have PS5, but PS3 - but started with photoshop 2 or 3.... and everytime they have upgraded the new photoshop has always been fully compatible with old files - in addition I remember also using new files in an old photoshop which actually also worked - only stuff that was native to the new photoshop was removed (such as layer effects when they first came out ) ... so I believe you're safe :)

Ascension
02-18-2011, 08:29 AM
As Tilt said, compatibility should be just fine. The only issue I ever remember was trying to open something like a CS file in an older version like 7 but opening a 7 file in CS was fine.

guyanonymous
02-20-2011, 10:13 AM
My only compatibility issue on my new system was having forgotten which fonts I'd previously installed. I keep opening old files to discover I have to track down the font I'd originally used. I really wish adobe had an option to embed font-files in their saved documents (in PS, Illustrator, and Indesign...I get hit in all of them).

lostatsea
02-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Old to new is no problem. New to old you have to check the maximize compatability option when you save or set it to do automatically it in preferences. I am not sure how much you will still lose.??? Probably depends on how far remove the opening version is . The font issue is that PS uses whatever is installed in the system font folder. I back up all my favorite tools ( fonts , pattern, brushes,Etc) to a specific folder on a secondary drive makes it easier to reload or reinstall . In case of drive crash or OS needing reinstalled.