PDA

View Full Version : *** February/March Lite Challenge - Open to Art ***

Gidde
02-18-2011, 08:22 PM
This month's lite challenge is to find an interesting part of the Earth in Open Streetmap (http://www.openstreetmap.org/), take a screenshot of it, and then use that as the base for an artistic map of your choice. There are no restrictions on style or scale, but it needs to have that base.

Some example ideas: Take a screenshot of your home town/region/country and map an alternate history (or future). Take a screenshot of a place that you've never been and map a tourist brochure for it (tourist attractions may be real or made up from whole cloth). Take a screenshot of an interesting area and map it as if it were on a parallel fantasy world with completely different culture, towns, nations, etc.

Each entry should be a new thread in this forum, titled "February/March Lite Challenge Entry: <Map Title>".

Each reply in the thread containing a WIP image should end with the following tag:
### Latest WIP ###

This challenge will end on the Ides of March (or March 15).

Good luck, looking forward to seeing the entries!

*Note: Open Streetmap has a CC_BY_SA license, so your map must attribute OpenStreetMap and be CC-licensed.

waldronate
02-19-2011, 01:54 AM
Is this the first challenge that has required a specific license to enter?

Gidde
02-19-2011, 02:43 AM
Is this the first challenge that has required a specific license to enter?

Probably, but I had to put it in as an afterthought after I checked out open streetmap more. Any derivative work has to be CC :(

tilt
02-19-2011, 03:42 AM
Since OpenStreetMap and googlmaps and all those other maps have the same streets in them I guess you can use whichever you want - so if you can find one without CC feel free. I remember back in the advertising agency I worked in many years ago we looked at a map and hand drew our own and thus avoided having to licens the map. However that was before computers were used for graphics *lol*

geamon
02-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Maybe I'm confused and need some clarification but can it be historical or does it have to be current day? Do you also need to be able to see the base map used? I.E can the street configuration of a city been completely different or still has to be similar.

Diamond
02-20-2011, 02:53 AM
Maybe I'm confused and need some clarification but can it be historical or does it have to be current day? Do you also need to be able to see the base map used? I.E can the street configuration of a city been completely different or still has to be similar.

Yeah, I kinda wondered that too. I mean, if the base map taken from Open Streetmap has to be visible somehow then I'm sorry, but that's gonna be one ugly map. And if it's not visible, then I guess I'm missing the point of using it in the first place. I'm not trying to sound mean, honest. I'm just confused. :(

tilt
02-20-2011, 03:40 AM
The street map has to be used as base - so you can't change the layout of the streets (although if it fits the story a road could have been sucked down a sinkhole) - you don't have to be able to see the original map, the challenge is to artify/mappify/whateverify the streets to make that winning map :)

Ascension
02-20-2011, 04:17 AM
Turn your streets into mag levs or Venitian canals...or dungeon hallways. Pick a base and show that pic in your first post then do whatever you need to do to fit whatever genre or style you want.

RjBeals
02-20-2011, 12:38 PM
this sounds great. Can't wait to see what entries we get!

jtougas
02-20-2011, 11:19 PM
I have to say that for the first time I'm struggling with this a bit. I'm having a hard time coming up with a good usable base map. Oh well I'll keep trying :)

ravells
02-21-2011, 05:33 AM
The world is your oyster, JT!!

lostatsea
02-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Is this what I need to add to the end of an entry post to make this legal ??

http://www.openstreetmap.org/ http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

ravells
02-21-2011, 05:42 PM
just stick this on your open street map and you should be fine. I really think we're being a bit overcautious here.

geamon
02-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Is there anyway to make Open Street Map not have labels?

ravells
02-21-2011, 05:49 PM
I don't think so, Geamon, unless you want to download an SVG snaphot and filter out the text.

geamon
02-21-2011, 05:56 PM
I have yet to learn Inkscape or any vector based software either. My loss... Just removing labels in raster is making me lose the coastlines especially around the Gulf of Mexico. I guess i'll reconstruct the coastlines after removing the labels then. Thanks anyways Ravs!

ravells
02-21-2011, 06:10 PM
just trace it by hand, geamon....much faster! If you want to be really precise about it (and you have a scanner), print out the map at low opacity and trace the coastline with a black pen.....but the comp is much more about what you do with artistic feel from a basemap, don't get too hung up about accuracy.

Steel General
02-22-2011, 10:11 AM
The world is your oyster, JT!!

But what if he's allergic to shellfish? :D

...sorry couldn't resist.

Hai-Etlik
02-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Are we allowed to use the raw XML data rather than a screen shot of a slippy map render? Are we restricted to using the same Spherical Mercator projection and fixed set of scale factors?

Gidde
02-22-2011, 10:34 PM
I would imagine raw xml would serve the same purpose, as long as you can render a "before" shot. As to projection and scale, that's completely up to your base map. If you're rendering that base map yourself from data, pick whatever you like. The point is just to use *a* base map of some kind, then do something cool with it :)

Ascension
02-23-2011, 02:24 AM
This is an old meme but I've always loved saying it - all your base maps belong to us. :)

Diamond
02-23-2011, 03:02 AM
This is an old meme but I've always loved saying it - all your base maps belong to us. :)

You set us up the bad joke.

Gidde
03-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Reminder: This lite challenge will close sometime tomorrow evening, so get those last minute changes posted!