PDA

View Full Version : Ink Experiment - Unnamed

Gidde
02-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Not sure how "finished" this is, but it's as done as it's going to get, as I've ruined it by dropping a big ol' blob of ink onto it. Still, I'm awfully proud that I managed to get the dip pen to work at all, so I'm posting it anyway ;)

This is done entirely with a dip quill pen and ink on drawing paper, scanned with no processing.

Crayons
02-20-2011, 04:28 PM
There are methods for erasing inks, even black ink. You could try a quick search of the www or this (http://www.ehow.com/how_6704997_erase-black-ink.html)
It'd be a shame not to complete such a map.

Gidde
02-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks, Crayons, I'll keep that link in case I drop ink on something important, but this was only an hour or so of work, and the writing's horrible to boot :)

I did however almost instantly decide to make a liar out of myself; I got a pack of ridiculously expensive colored pencils the other day and figured since it was already an experiment and pretty well ruined, I couldn't hurt it. So I practiced with the colored pencils by coloring it. Still scanned with no processing, and now I'm done ;) Off to something I'll actually try to finish using the same methods.

ravells
02-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Ink blot? It's a lake! Very nice penwork, Gidde. Is there any chance of a bigger sized scan?

jtougas
02-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Very Nice :) Oh and I didn't forget our discussion in the chat, I just have to get to the art supply store :)

tilt
02-20-2011, 05:19 PM
it looks great - and I'm with Ravi, its a lake :)

Gidde
02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Hehe, thanks guys :)

I actually did consider making it a lake, but I had already made a lake that wouldn't match it ... and honestly, the little maplet had served its purpose. I've been going through the pages of a sketchpad systematically for a couple weeks now trying to prove to myself that I could apply all of the hand-drawing techniques I've been practicing to actual hand-drawing on real paper. This is the first time I've been able to get that dip pen to work, and I really like the results, so I allowed myself to get actual watercolors and watercolor paper (just got home with them, yay). I think I'm getting close to actually being able to do ink-and-watercolor for real, and not just on the computer. Which is good, because as awesome as those colored pencils are, I'm not feelin' em for mapping.

As requested, here's a 300dpi scan (above is 150 dpi -- it's only about 3 inches square or so on the paper). It kinda looks crappy when it's super-zoomed like this, though.

Talroth
02-20-2011, 09:45 PM
The other option to deal with an ink blot is to,... make it an ink blot. Create it as a dirty, stained, and torn map old map.

Troedel
02-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Someday Iīll go analog... itīs beautiful :)

lostatsea
02-21-2011, 05:00 PM
So you had an "unhappy" accident . I like the style handwriting and all. I makes me think of a map drawn by an explorer during a rest in his journey well done. Can't wait to see to see how you incorporate what you learn into your next project !!

Gidde
02-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys! About to add the paint to the next experiment, wish me luck ;)

torstan
02-24-2011, 01:41 PM
That's very cool. I do like going analog every now and again, it's a great discipline to help with committing to decisions.

On the coastline the variations are very regular. Try to add in a little more randomness in the shapes you use. Otherwise this is looking great. Looks like you've got a great mountain style coming along. I am also extremely envious of your clean handwriting!

Jaxilon
02-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Hah! Paint that blob with some red and create some splatter and it's a blood stain. Nothing better than a hand out covered with blood splatter...gets everyone worked up!

Looking great though. I've been working so hard to do things digitally I forget I can go do things the old fashioned way. I might have to do some more of that myself. I'm digging your experiments lately though.

Coyotemax
02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
For what it's worth (and this blot might be a bit for this particular method) when I used to work with ink on paper, I would be using the heaviest watercolour paper I could find (80 pound?) so when i made errors, i would actually attack it with an exacto knife and peel off the paper until i got down to where there was no ink.

Of course, it was usually small bits, so it didn't stand out.

Gidde
02-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

@Torstan: Thanks for the feedback! The coastlines are indeed horrible; it was more of a doodle than really trying. I'm working on the next one and taking a bit more care with the land shape and coastline this time :)

@Jaxilon: Thanks for the encouragement on the experiments. Felt like I was in a rut, it was time to try some new things :)

@CM: Thanks for the tip! My current experiment is on 140lb watercolor paper, so I will definitely keep that in mind. I have an exacto knife around here somewhere ...