PDA

View Full Version : February/March Lite Challenge Entry: The World of Htrea

geamon
02-21-2011, 04:14 PM
So I've finally came up with a concept and will be my first attempt at a world or planet sized map. Concept is doing the invert of current planet Earth where all the oceans are now land masses and the lands are seas. Additional all oceanic trenches will become mountain ranges and vice versa. This would be a very hot climate based world, hence the equator and tropics primarily desert wasteland and the arctic zones being temperate. Time frame I am looking at heavily based colonial (North/South extremes) and nomadic civilizations (Center). Unsure if I'm over stepping my skill level but we shall see what I can pull off. Hope you enjoy the trip.

Edit: Here's the screenshot I gathered from Open Streetmap.

geamon
02-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Here's my base map I will be working with after editing out the labels. Wish me luck!!

### Latest WIP ###

Gidde
02-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Yay for our first entry! Knock em dead, geamon :)

geamon
02-22-2011, 12:08 AM
I've been working on a base texture and colors. Because this map is untraditional in the water-land ratio or my eyes are used to looking at our planet in its normal form my eyes always make the seas stand out over the land. Any suggestions on how to solve this or any color corrections?

Edit: Had issues uploading.

Gidde
02-22-2011, 12:12 AM
I think it may be just because the land's white. Try coloring it green, even if it's just temporary; that should put the land over the sea where it belongs.

Edit: Aha! Now I see your colors. Looks a little dark, but that's just style. I think once you have some mountains done that might do the trick. I never really feel the land until I give it some bones.

tilt
02-22-2011, 02:34 AM
Great concpet :)
I think that land features will help, and I'd probably lighten the sea a little so it doesn't "fight" with the land for attention, especially since all of us are used to seing those shapes as land. :)

geamon
02-22-2011, 02:42 AM
After working with it for a while this is really starting to shape up. Solved all my issues and now am gonna work on mountain ranges. Not sure if I'm gonna add rivers due to scale.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
02-22-2011, 02:58 AM
Looking good man

geamon
02-22-2011, 03:20 PM
What style of mountains work best with a satellite/atlas style like I've got so far, height map using bump maps etc or artistic hand drawn? Struggling on deciding whats best.

Ascension
02-22-2011, 04:04 PM
I hate to say it 'cuz it's non-committal but...what works best is whatever you make work. For me, I wouldn't use hand-drawn or iso or whatever because of the texture and colors being so dominant. If you turned those way down so that they are just faint colors (more like a grungy paper) then you could use hand-drawn. As is, I'd use a shaded relief which is something less than a real height map...think of Pasis style mtns as opposed to me style mtns.

geamon
02-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks A, I'm thinking about trying to emulate the style of mountains from Dragon Age's map of Thedas (Here (http://images.wikia.com/dragonage/images/8/80/ThedasMap.jpg)). Sort of a mix of hand drawn and a height map.

Ascension
02-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I can't get that style right. DJ came close in one map. I still think you might have to tone down the colors and textures but that can wait for a while (if they are on their own layers).

Diamond
02-22-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm with Ascension; I think shaded relief is the way to go. Maybe exaggerate their looks to make 'em seem more cartoony?

geamon
02-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Mountain experiment #1. Let me know what you think.

Achieved by hand drawing directly on map and not using any brushes.

Diamond
02-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Ooooh, that's pretty cool! Only thing I'd maybe change is reduce the size, otherwise that is one massive mountain range.

geamon
02-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Yeah I figured and told wifey that and she's says to make a reason why it's that size so a) the world is smaller or b) they are that massive.... You pick. haha In all honesty, I'll play around with it and see what turns up. She's the one who did most of the mountain shading and drawing and myself doing effects and coloring, so we are working in tandem.

Ascension
02-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Mtns like this are always oversized to give a more massive feel so I'm cool with that...we do forests that way, too. You might want to turn the colors/textures down to see better.

moutarde
02-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Those look great Geamon! Hope you have lots of patience, cause I really want to see the finished map now! :)

Jaxilon
02-23-2011, 01:08 PM
I love them. I think they look especially good in the thumbnail.

Gidde
02-23-2011, 04:29 PM
I really like that mountain style, I think it fits really nicely with the rest of the map.

jtougas
02-26-2011, 03:54 PM
I would say thats the one Geamon. Looks awesome :)

geamon
02-28-2011, 01:04 AM
The mountains are slow going but this is where I'm at. Not sure how many more mountain ranges I want in trying to keep it as clutter free as I can. Moved the first range and edited it. Let me know if I'm going the wrong direction here. Thanks!!!

### Latest WIP ###

Edit: Issues uploading.

Marken4
03-04-2011, 07:12 AM
The texture is so disturbing :O Other than that its a good idea and nicely done

geamon
03-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Just an update on where this is going. Progress is slow but I wanna make sure everything meshes and there is no conflict of styles. Started working on rivers but having a hard time with them. Wish me luck.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
03-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Geamon did you blur the water to get that effect?

geamon
03-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Yeah, is it blurred too much? I haven't fully decided what I wanna do with the water yet either. Was thinking a sea chart idea? Unsure how to implement it effectively though.

Jaxilon
03-06-2011, 01:50 AM
I think you should try the Filters>Artistic>Oilify instead of just blurring it. Try it and see if you like it better. You might have to tweak it a bit but I've found that I like it more than blurring.

geamon
03-06-2011, 02:36 AM
I do use Oilify as well but I haven't really added any texture or anything to it its more of a base color. Was thinking of linear hatching but unsure. When I get something definite I'll show you.

moutarde
03-06-2011, 02:37 AM
You could also try adding some noise to the water, so it matches with the land a bit better. Jaxilon is right, it's too blurry right now - especially when you compare to how crisp your land looks.

geamon
03-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Here's another update... progress is still slow. Solved the water blur issue, this is a savannah based area with another mountain range I hand drew. Need to pick up the pace. Hopefully I can get this done.

### Latest WIP ###