PDA

View Full Version : The Khanate of Montray

Diamond
02-22-2011, 03:05 PM
I decided to do a post-apocalyptic version of my local area of California, focusing on the Khanate of Montray, a barbarous state controlled by biker gangs.

OpenStreetMap is open data, licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence (CC-BY-SA). (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/)

Here's the base map:

jtougas
02-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Very Cool, I'll be looking forward to this :)

Diamond
02-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Some base work. The southern river (the San Joaquin) is kinda dry and not-very-riverish, so I may break it up into a dotted line or something. I changed the coastlines a hair here and there to reflect 'natural' erosion, etc, since I'm thinking this is set maybe a century or so after the fall of modern civilization.

*** LATEST WIP ***

geamon
02-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Yayers a very promising entry Diamond. Eager to see where you go with this.

Ascension
02-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Northern Cali biker gangs = old upper management dudes with leather jackets that only see sunlight once a month when they get together with other old dudes to run down to the AARP store to raise money for some hospital or charity :) Hmm, sounds like where I live, too. ;) Looks good so far, man.

Diamond
02-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Northern Cali biker gangs = old upper management dudes with leather jackets that only see sunlight once a month when they get together with other old dudes to run down to the AARP store to raise money for some hospital or charity :) Hmm, sounds like where I live, too. ;) Looks good so far, man.

Oh, we've got that kind of biker up here for sure, but there's a large quantity of the Real Thing too. Whether they could run a semi-coherent state or not is another thing altogether. :D

jtougas
02-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Oh, we've got that kind of biker up here for sure, but there's a large quantity of the Real Thing too. Whether they could run a semi-coherent state or not is another thing altogether. :D

They actually do in a way.. ;) Looks great so far :)

Gidde
02-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Looks fun!

Diamond
02-22-2011, 08:22 PM
StarRaven just put out an awesome new brush pack (http://chanimur.deviantart.com/#/d3a1hra) which I thought I'd try out for this map.

Thanks for the awesomeness, SR!

*** LATEST WIP ***

geamon
02-22-2011, 08:32 PM
I was just fooling around with same brushes haha!!!

Diamond
02-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Added some color...

*** LATEST WIP ***

mearrin69
02-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Awesome. Looking great so far. I love the P-A and lived in Monterey for several years so I'm looking forward to this one!
M

Diamond
02-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks, Mearrin.

Here's some more color added, and a first pass at locating some sites of major ruins...

*** LATEST WIP ***

moutarde
02-22-2011, 10:31 PM
You know Diamond, I just had a thought, with how the one lake up along the top is open (there's no border that cuts it off), it might also look cool if the mountains also weren't cut off, if you know what I mean.

Jaxilon
02-22-2011, 11:04 PM
This is looking better and better.

Diamond
02-23-2011, 12:15 AM
@moutarde: There's going to be a border; that's why I left the area all along the edges empty instead of extending the map to the edges.

Here's one more update for today, then I need to eat some dinner. :D

*** LATEST WIP ***

Ascension
02-23-2011, 02:22 AM
Might want to pump up the orange city-border a tad to make it pop a bit more and maybe darken up the mtn label with some more lines or thick black stroke but otherwise, this is great.

Sapiento
02-23-2011, 03:25 AM
This is great!

ravells
02-23-2011, 04:38 AM
This is beautiful Diamond!!!!

Steel General
02-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Nice!

My only little nit-pick is the label for the 'Sierra Mountains' is very tough to read (at least for me).

moutarde
02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
No worries Diamond, it was just a random thought that occured to me as I was looking at your map :) Still looks great though, love your colouring!

Jaxilon
02-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Dangit..this just looks so good that I keep looking at it and it makes me want to do this challenge now. I was going to sit out all challenges this round because I really need to focus elsewhere but now I don't know if I can help it. And why I would want to join a contest where I know I'm going up against stellar work by others I have no idea...but there it is.

Gidde
02-23-2011, 05:37 PM
I love this color scheme, Diamond, and it's a really cool premise. Keep up the good work!

Diamond
02-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I appreciate it.

Here's a bit more done. Coming along pretty quickly now; I still want to figure out a way to show where the various Clan headquarters are within the Khanate - these are the actual biker gangs which are united under the Khan in Montray city. I was thinking about drawing in small banner-like flags with simple color schemes and then having larger more intricate flags on the left-hand border like I've done with my most recent couple of maps, but I dunno. I kind of think that vein might be getting tapped out...

Anyway, here's another update. 'Sierra Mountains' should be a bit easier to read now, and I added a heavier glow around the cities and towns, as well as adding in more trees, the Old Roads, and modern roads.

*** LATEST WIP ***

Diamond
02-24-2011, 03:39 AM
This might be done, or close to it. I still want to figure out a way to show individual biker Clans, but it might be overkill, and out of place on a map like this.

Mods: Do you think that CC license in the corner will do the trick?

*** LATEST WIP ***

Gidde
02-24-2011, 09:16 AM
I think it should be fine. I'll wait to commwnt on the map itself until I'm on my computer and can see it better :)

Sapiento
02-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Really a fine piece of cartography!

Diamond
02-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Well, I think this is done, unless I spot any egregious errors or think of something to change and/or add.

Full credits:

Base Map: Open Streetmap
Brushes (mountains, hills, forest): StarRaven Link (http://starraven.deviantart.com/#/d3a1hra)
Motorcycle/dude: Not mine. It's a scan from a page ripped out of a magazine that I've had sitting in a file cabinet for a year or two. Unfortunately cannot credit properly due to not remembering which magazine it's from.
Fonts: Ariapenciroman and Writingstuff, both from dafont.com.

*** LATEST WIP ***

Steel General
02-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Nicely done!

Ascension
02-26-2011, 02:06 PM
I was gonna give you some rep but I gotta spread some around. Well done, mate.

geamon
02-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Good stuff, can't wait to get to the voting. I got some good competition again!

mearrin69
02-27-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm totally stealing this for a Gamma World game someday. I have a feeling my players' group is going to be herded out west after they're done in Far-Go...

Nice work...have some rep!
M

Edit: Bah. Gotta spread some around. I haven't been on here in ages and can't remember who I repped last...

Diamond
02-27-2011, 01:14 AM
@mearrin: I accept thine invisible rep in the spirit in which it was given. :D

This was a pretty fun map to make, and quick! Once I have an idea visualized in my head, I seem to work faster than if I start it only kinda half-way knowing what I want it to look like...

And maybe if I get motivated, I'll do some smaller-scale maps - towns, cities, whatnot.

Gidde
02-27-2011, 08:57 AM
This turned out really good, Diamond! The barbed-wire border is a nice touch, and that coloring is awesome!

Troedel
02-28-2011, 05:42 PM
This is very good. With the colour scheme the word "fantasy" pops up in my mind. Perhaps we should swap ;) Repped

Diamond
03-04-2011, 06:57 AM
I'm having second thoughts about leaving the Clan Strongholds in or not. Opinions?

Gidde
03-04-2011, 08:20 PM
I'd say leave them in. They add a nice flavor to the whole thing, make it feel like there's real people living there.

rdanhenry
03-05-2011, 02:09 AM
Nice to see Morada make the map. Too bad Lodi apparently had to be completely sacked for us to survive, though.

Glad you resisted making Bercly a "People's Democratic Republic of..." or such stereotype.

Diamond
03-05-2011, 04:09 AM
Glad you resisted making Bercly a "People's Democratic Republic of..." or such stereotype.

Oh, don't think I hadn't thought about it... :D

arsheesh
03-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Congratulations Diamond, awesome map!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

kevinjamesbreaux
05-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Diamond, I am a fantays author with a new book due out late this year. I would like to speak with you in regards to doing the map artwork. Could you please contact me. My email address is kbreaux23@yahoo.com. Thank you.