PDA

View Full Version : Arlion The Shattered Empire

jtougas
02-25-2011, 07:35 PM
This began as a experiment with various tutorials. It quickly gained a life of it's own however. Done in GIMP :)

Credits : Tutorial: Mountain Technique using Wilbur and the Gimp (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?4780-Award-Winner-Mountain-Technique-using-Wilbur-and-the-Gimp)
Map Scale Diamonds' Awesome Kingdom of Gorian (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?13599-Kingdom-of-Gorian) Map
Compass Rose: StarRavens Most Excellent Brush Set (http://starraven.deviantart.com/art/Sketchy-Cartography-Brushes-198264358)
*Edit* Updated with new ocean texture
*Edit* added another version with various embellishments

A Different Version

Diamond
02-26-2011, 12:28 AM
Nice work, dude! I really like your names - The Dragon League just sounds badass (Even though it's misspelled :D ). Repped!

jtougas
02-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Nice work, dude! I really like your names - The Dragon League just sounds badass (Even though it's misspelled :D ). Repped!

DOH....I'll fix that and thanks for the kind words :)

Schley
02-27-2011, 02:57 AM
Nice work! I'd suggest a more readable font though. Maybe something with a good small caps assortment rather than all caps. You might also think about wrapping your diagonal text to some subtly curved paths as well.

nichollsr
02-27-2011, 07:28 AM
I really like this map for so many reasons. The main one though is the mountains - they look great ! If i can offer one thing i would change though its the colour of the sea, its just a little too bright for me - this is a personal thing though.

Overall GREAT map !

jtougas
02-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Nice work! I'd suggest a more readable font though. Maybe something with a good small caps assortment rather than all caps. You might also think about wrapping your diagonal text to some subtly curved paths as well.

Thank you for the kind words. I actually got the inspiration for this map from the font :). I would love to be able to wrap my text along a path but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it.

Carstairs
02-28-2011, 06:23 AM
I love the look of the new style. And the mountains look even better with the added texture to the brown foothills.

If you intend further refinements, I'd suggest making all the rivers taper to a point, and putting the country names above the grungy effects so they pop out more. Possibly put in more forests with more irregular boundaries; unless the place is meant to be rather barren, which might explain those two forests in the NW that I think look like they follow underground waterways.

Edit: It's in the finished map section, so I guess it's a little late for suggestions. Anyway, a great map as is.

jfrazierjr
02-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Thank you for the kind words. I actually got the inspiration for this map from the font :). I would love to be able to wrap my text along a path but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it.

In GIMP, create a path the way you want it. Then, on the text layer, there is a text along path button. Check out RobA's tutorial for details. I have been told Inkscape makes this much easier, but I don't know the details so can't help...