PDA

View Full Version : March 2011 Challenge: Board Game

tilt
03-01-2011, 04:21 AM
So we've had a lot of different map challenges that fit the rpg mapping segment. So we thought that it would be nice to see some different maps this time around. And since a lot of people started talking about the train board game challenge (not on the guild) we decided that a game board would be nice to "map".

So this months challenge is to make a game board. People wanting to do the train project are welcome to use that as their entry here as well, but any type of game board in any setting is allowed.
You don't have to write down rules for the game, but hints of how to play will probably be appreciated by everybody. :)

So grab your drawing implement and start making that board game, we don't care if its a game of strategy, finance, war, peace, bouncy bubbles or carrots. It can be ancient, modern or sci-fi (no ripping arms off if you loose though).
You can make it for kids, adults, redheads, dogs or aliens - just as long as you make something cool :)

And remember - challenge closes at 27th of march - so get to it :)

Good luck

lapada
03-01-2011, 03:22 PM
What is this "train" project if you don't mind me asking?

tilt
03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't mind at all... a board game company has started a competition with a price of $10.000 for a new version of the game they have - just search for 10.000 in here and you'll find the thread discussing it (and what one should be aware of if entering) :)

Carstairs
03-01-2011, 05:30 PM
So if the train board is a viable entry, are boards for other games that already exist acceptable? And what about modular boards, like Carcasonne?

Gidde
03-01-2011, 05:35 PM
I'd hope modular boards are ok, since I'm doing one :) As far as other games go, I'd imagine that it'd be ok, as long as the design itself is new.

Diamond
03-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Kinda makes me want to do post-apocalypse Risk... :D

Rythal
03-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Hey, motivation to finish my bloodbowl board!

ravells
03-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Here is the Ticket to Ride $10,000 game link. (http://blog.daysofwonder.com/2011/02/14/ticket-to-ride-10000-map-design-contest/)

lapada
03-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Hahahah ohhhh yes the ( Generic mythical beast which is never captured that im too lazy to think of ) I forgot that was the topic of the contest XD

My skeptical nature remains lol.

I should how ever do something little for this....

EDIT: Oh too Rythal I would LOVE to see a blood bowl board -- I have been playing the computer version and its totally the sports game for me.... I would like it a lot more if the Ogres looked like the new ones...

Ascension
03-01-2011, 08:48 PM
I made a board game back when I was like 12 and over the Holidays (two years ago) my nieces found it and we had a blast playing it. So naturally they wanted to make one of their own. So last summer we sat down and made one and I'm thinking of doing one of those two. The playability is only as fun as the contestants so you either have to be 10 years old or not care too much about the reality of things. I'll have to scan their lil drawings in so this will be fun.

RobA
03-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Looking for clarification - seeing as this is the CG, it there a "map" requisite to the game?

-Rob A>

Jaxilon
03-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Looking for clarification - seeing as this is the CG, it there a "map" requisite to the game?

-Rob A>

I for one don't understand the question. I'm thinking if you put an entry in here that doesn't have a map you shouldn't expect to get ANY votes.

tilt
03-04-2011, 03:03 PM

-Rob A>

as long as your board game would fit nicely in the board game section of the forum - I guess you're home safe... but we'll leave it up to the JURY OF DEATH!!!! *drumroll* *lol*

moutarde
03-04-2011, 03:08 PM
It would seem to me that most standard board game surfaces are maps. The monopoly board is a map, even if it doesn't have coastlines or forests. It conveys necessary information that allows you to navigate through the game.

tilt
03-04-2011, 03:17 PM
It would seem to me that most standard board game surfaces are maps. The monopoly board is a map, even if it doesn't have coastlines or forests. It conveys necessary information that allows you to navigate through the game.

good point :)

Immolate
03-04-2011, 08:10 PM
The rules of the challenge are often explicit, but the voters are the ultimate arbiters of the rules, with a few exceptions. I recall Gamerprinter running a challenge with very specific rules with a prize involved, and in that case the rules were mandatory, but not usually, and not here. I wouldn't vote for a piece that was completely un-mappy as long as there was a mappy entry that I could vote for, but some will, and maybe enough. Art, like love, takes courage.

LonewandererD
03-07-2011, 05:03 AM
I had an idea for an entry, sort of a combination of jenga and your traditional roll and move your piece kind of game but looking at my schedule for this month I doubt I will get it done. Just asking though, what is the latest a person can join the comp? Or is there no time limit so long as it's in before voting and some sign of WIP material can be seen?

-D-

tilt
03-07-2011, 05:16 AM
just as long as it gets in before closing time - and no WIP material required (but we always love to see some) :)

LonewandererD
03-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Thanks Tilt, will try and attempt an entry later then if I find the time, Uni is getting in full assessment swing this March and all of my games are being released this month. Epic timing fail!

-D-

RecklessEnthusiasm
03-07-2011, 07:51 PM
In case anyone goes so in depth that they want an actual copy of the game, definitely head over to http://www.thegamecrafter.com/ to whip it up! They do Print On Demand board games.

ravells
03-08-2011, 05:05 AM
thanks RE! That's a really nice find!

tilt
03-08-2011, 08:00 AM
yep, they have a great concept - I've just checked however and unfortunatly they still don't offer folding boards or thick cardboard boards - which would be sooo nice. So their boards are printed on thick stock like - playing cards.

Jaxilon
03-11-2011, 02:34 AM
I have an idea for this challenge and I think it's kind of funny in a way but I'm not sure if I'll get to it or not. Wish me strength :)

tilt
03-11-2011, 03:19 AM
*casts Bulls Strength on Jaxilon*

Jaxilon
03-11-2011, 03:26 AM
LOL, I'm sure my wife will wonder what's up with me when I keep saying, "Strong like bull!" tomorrow. Well, I'm off for some rest. Goodnight.

Ascension
03-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Hopefully she'll swoon as well when you keep saying that.

Diamond
03-11-2011, 06:03 PM
@RE: Thanks for that link!!! (I'd rep you for it if I could.)

RecklessEnthusiasm
03-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Tilt - They do have plans to eventually add those things. I made a relatively unsuccessful game (https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/cannons--crossbones) on there that is made up of several smaller boards. I figure games like Settlers of Catan are set up with a multi-piece board so people must not have that much trouble with things shifting. Of course, you could always slap a piece of tape on the underside of the board and it would form a hinge for easy folding/unfolding, if a bit unsightly.

Diamond - Thanks buddy! It is the thought that counts.

tilt
03-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Its not the connect and bend but more the thickness I'd like :)
I think its a year+ since I last saw the page - and nothing has changed, and honestly, having a good thick board is easy to make - just a question of cost. But they are probably saving up to the right machine for an automated process.

And by the way your game looks great :)

moutarde
04-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Just out of curiosity, when will voting be starting on this challenge?

tilt
04-03-2011, 02:59 PM
I'll put the voting up tomorrow morning (cet+1) ... been a little busy, and I have to read up on how to use that thumb-scraber thingy before we can vote.