PDA

View Full Version : WiP - Commission, Caer Gorinth...

mearrin69
03-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi all,
Here's a work in progress commission for Silver Crescent: the keep of Caer Gorinth. Not much to show, just the basic layout, built from the "turnover" from the client. I'm going to do this in a semi-realistic textured style. It is 8 1/2" x 11" at 300 dpi. Will post more when I have some progress to show.
M

mearrin69
03-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Here's the second step: blocking in the main areas. Floors, walls, and major stuff is there. Now to cut some doors and get it looking right. BTW, the towers will be somewhat higher than the walls and the walls will have crenelations on the outer edges and a small lip on the inner. The textures are just placeholders for now.

Not sure what I'm going to do about lighting but the world has no (lit) sun, just a couple of moons so I'll probably do the moonlit blue cast thing that I did for the Wastelands Encounter battlemap I did for this client, with some actual lighting in the keep.

Now I'm off to get back to "real" work for a while. C&C appreciated.
M

mearrin69
03-31-2011, 12:38 AM
Wasn't working for me so I decided to simplify and go slightly old-school. May add hand-drawn decor later...just getting the shapes now. Probably will replace the floor texture with something hand-drawn too.
M

Ascension
03-31-2011, 01:48 AM
Lookin' good.

mearrin69
03-31-2011, 01:49 AM
Thanks! Here's the first floor roughed out...
M

mearrin69
03-31-2011, 10:26 PM
Second floor. Now I can start adding some details to hopefully make these pop a little more.
M

mearrin69
04-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Ballista...

mearrin69
04-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Wine cellar. Getting the hang of this. I like the sketchy furnishings against the hard edges of the actual map features. Also attaching a revised tower/ballista...I messed up when I was laying down the tower details.
M

mearrin69
04-03-2011, 02:09 AM
The basement's more or less done now.
M

Edit: 17 is obviously the wine cellar. It has been mostly raided (the racks are nearly empty if you look). 16 is a guard room, deserted except for a few guards. I gave them a card game and some wine so they can loaf. 18 is a store room. It used to be full but has been raided, leaving only a half-dozen ballista bolts. The dungeon cells are empty as well, except for A, B, and C, which contain some of the residents of the keep before it was raided by the enemy. Now they're awaiting ransom...or torture or something like that. :)

mearrin69
04-03-2011, 12:47 PM
The gatehouse with machinery for opening and closing the portculis and gates, a place for the guards to relax, and some pitch and such to toss on unsuspecting folks through the murder holes (of course, you'd think they'd expect it by now, right?) Also, the keep's former wizard's library. The tome on the desk says, "Warning! I prepared explosive runes today..."
M

Edit: Also, added a second-floor storage room. I'll note again that the "stuff" in the rooms is only intended to give an impression of what's there...not to be directly representational. I am deliberately not trying to make it very realistic.

Ascension
04-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Still lookin good.

mearrin69
04-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks! Just working on these randomly whenever I get a spare ten minutes. Here's the first-floor storage room. It reuses stuff from the second-floor storage room and the library.
M

mearrin69
04-07-2011, 02:55 AM
Here's the full view as it stands. Still lots more to do. I think I've got some of the furniture a bit small - but I hate the 5' square map you always see where every bed is 5'x10' so I was trying to avoid that. This is 33% of full size, so it's a pretty big map. I'm growing weary of it...
M

Sapiento
04-07-2011, 03:20 AM
I like the style!

mearrin69
04-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks!

Here's yet another room. If you can't tell, this room has been "tossed" by the keep's current occupiers. It's the former office of the keep commander.

Also, trying out torches. I don't want to get too excited about lighting effects but a little touch here and there might help out the overall feel. I darkened all of the interiors just a tad and I'm going to put in a glow effect around torches, candles, explosive runes, and so forth to see how it feels. I'll probably put a hint of smoke over the torches as well.
M

mearrin69
04-07-2011, 11:56 PM
The kitchen. It's missing something but...
M

mearrin69
04-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Here's the southeast portion of the first floor, now with a finished barracks and a revised kitchen.
M

mearrin69
04-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Here's the northeastern portion of the first floor. 9 and 10 are the former captain's quarters and office...busted up a bit by the new occupants.
M

Steel General
04-10-2011, 09:39 AM
This is really starting to 'come to life'...nice work.

mearrin69
04-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Thank you, sir! I'm nearly done with the second floor. Here are two views...the whole thing and then a zoom-in on the rooms of the keep.

11 is the commander's quarters and 11a is his privy (privvy?) and cloakroom. I think the quarters need something else. Maybe two chairs and a little round table with a chessboard in the lower left on the carpet (which conceals a secret of some sort). That's the sort of thing a keep commander would have, no?
12 is the unfinished armory. It'll have weapon and armor racks along the walls and maybe in the center.
13 is the second-floor storage room.
14 is the library, where the keep's wizard used to hang out. The glow is from candles and a book opened to explosive runes...think I've shown 13 and 14 before but these are slightly changed.
Unmarked areas are hallways. I tried to scatter some furniture around them. Probably need something else, especially in the ones leading to the commander's areas.

mearrin69
04-10-2011, 12:55 PM
What the heck. Here's the full thing as it stands. I'm open to suggestions for improvement if anyone has any...especially on the spiral stairways. They looked okay when I started but now seem pretty out of place with the rest of the decor.
M

Edit: see previous post for some close-ups of recently finished rooms...didn't realize this post was going to bump to the next page...

mearrin69
04-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah. This definitely helps that room...but open to other suggestions.
M

mearrin69
04-12-2011, 11:52 PM
The armory. Still trying to figure out how to do some kind of armor rack with armor on it.
M

Ascension
04-13-2011, 01:25 AM
I'm pretty sure that there are some on the dunjinni user forums - grab some of those and see how they did it. I'm fairly certain that the armor was done as a figure in Poser then compositted in Photoshop for the effects, textures, and shadows. Weapons are trickier to do since they're so skinny. But I'm sure you'll come up with something, you're pretty good at this, after all.