PDA

View Full Version : *** February 2011 Challenge Voting - Map a Trap ***

ravells
03-01-2011, 03:57 PM
This month's challenge, taken from the challenge suggestions sub-forum, was to map a trap of any scale and in any genre.

There were 8 entries this month, a little light for a challenge, but it was short month and you can laugh at me being poked with a stick in one of them ;)

Thumbnails of the entries are here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/Thumbs/Html/Challengers_Feb11.htm)

Note: Gidde's entry is intentionally blank as it is for the march challenge.

PLEASE VOTE FOR 1 ENTRY.

Please don't forget to rep the entries you vote for.

Best of luck to to everyone and thanks to those who took part.

:: Edit :: I've moved the entries into the archive as we're running a bit late this month.

ravells
03-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I love lonewanderer's entry, but Moutarde's made me laugh! If only there were 2 votes.

Gidde
03-01-2011, 04:45 PM
I had to vote for Lonewanderer as well, though Ravells was a close second for me. He'd have gotten vote #2 if we had one. Great entries all!

tilt
03-01-2011, 04:53 PM
As a true gentleman I of course wont vote for myself - rather Lonewanderer gets my vote as well - and well deserved :)

I'll swing by with my rep-gun tomorrow for all these good entries :)

Gidde
03-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Uh ... just read the top post there .... sorry I messed up your scrape, Ravs!

ravells
03-01-2011, 05:37 PM
lol, no worries, Gidde.

jtougas
03-01-2011, 06:04 PM
If only there were two votes. I had to vote for Ravells as his piece was just too cool. If I had another vote it would have gone to Lonewanderer for a brilliant concept and amazing execution. Moutardes' entry was just great as well, funny and clever. All in all everyone as usual did a great job :)

LonewandererD
03-01-2011, 09:03 PM
I voted for Sapiento and Return of the Frogs, it reminded me of Admiral Ackbar for some reason and I just watched "It's a Trap" so I reallly like Admiral Ackbar right now. Will rep you Sapiento once your thread becomes unlocked.

-D-

Immolate
03-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Big fan of Pindecarl's perpetual stair!

Jaxilon
03-02-2011, 02:08 AM
I also enjoyed all the entries and they all have a place in your gaming sessions of doom but the one that caught my eye from the start and just offers up more fun that I can shake a stick at was Pindercarl's Perpetual Stairway. I admit, I had to add in my own fold away and return for this to work but I can't wait to spring this bad boy on my gaming friends. Preferably when they are running for their lives from something horrendously monstrous. Hahahahah.

These were all great and I would have loved to vote for more.

Tilt - I liked this a lot because it's full of good stuff.
Ravell's - just a bit too much death, hehe. I don't expect even a great adventurer to survive all that.
RE - I thought it looked beautiful but I wasn't sure what was going on there.
Sap - Wonderful and very spacey as well but without the words I don't think I would have understood it.
LW - Great concept and you clearly gave this a lot of thought. All the details are fantastic.
Mou - Hilarious and worth a vote just for the sheer joy it brings to read.
DD - There isn't a lot to this map but it gives me the willies just looking at it so bonus for evoking an emotion.
Gidde - I didn't see anything so I'm guessing you didn't finish.

Coyotemax
03-02-2011, 02:21 AM
I hate challenges like this - too many good entries and not enough votes to cast :)

So I went for the humour vote this time - and it was STILL a tough choice!

Tigon
03-02-2011, 04:25 AM
Noob or no I had to vote: the Perpetual Stair reminds me too much of a favourite trap from my own dim and distant gaming days. RotF I would probably give a #2 to if such a vote could be cast. Comedy award for the 96th Trap out of the Ravells stable though! Made me larf so it did.

Redrobes
03-02-2011, 10:27 AM
I liked Pindercarls map because it was an excellent idea (tho I cant tell how the bottom stair goes back to the top or vice versa) that would be great to role play. I wonder what happens if the party get tired and stop for a rest... well, in any case I also liked the white on blue as well as the font and general style of it. Very nicely done.

Now all I would like to add is this: Ravs, I'm never playing in your dungeons !

tilt
03-03-2011, 04:25 AM
Tigon - glad you voted - all are welcome to vote here, noobs and old dogs alike :)

Sam Conifer
03-03-2011, 05:04 AM
Another newb vote here. I have to toss mine to Pindercarl for his perpetual stair. It looks so sharp and easy to read and the gears have so much detail, and I guess I like all of that. I wish I could give another vote out though. Moutarde's map was such a great idea and it was so funny. He gets my "If I only had another vote" vote.

LonewandererD
03-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Ooh, looks like Pindercarl is going to win this one and that's not surprising the mechanical details and blueprint style is quite lovely.

-D-

Doubledutch
03-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Good job everybody.

There isn't much because it was made in the vault by the last man as he chronicled his groups final days. I couldn't figure out how to tell that story with the map. I liked the challenge and wanted to give it a shot. (sorry if this is a double post. I tried one and wasn't sure if it posted.)

lapada
03-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Im going to have to go with Pin's cause its totally up my ally -- I love the Old timey mechanics , its well though out and it reminds me of my self how Every flight of stairs seems like it goes on for ever ... *tear drop *

Jaxilon
03-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Another close one though. All the great talent around here is so much fun to watch.

As for you "noobs" who are voting, thank you all very much. These contests would blow if it was just the same group of folks voting for one another all the time. We need your votes! :)

Immolate
03-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Congratulations Pindercarl on your first-ever Gold Compass win!

Redrobes
03-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Well done Pindercarl !!!

pindercarl
03-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks for all the votes and kind words. The only disappointment is not being able to compete in the Lite Challenges anymore.

Jaxilon
03-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Congrats pinder! I love being able to join in on either challenge but hopefully I too will eventually be in the same boat. On the positive side, you can give all your attention to a single entry now. It seems to me that being able to do both challenges effectively gives me 15 days per challenge.

Gidde
03-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Congratulations Pindercarl!

jtougas
03-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Congratulations !! :)

ravells
03-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Congrats Pindercarl! Great Entry!

tilt
03-07-2011, 10:33 AM
congrats pindercarl on the win :)