PDA

View Full Version : New

Jesse
03-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Hello, I am new here. My mapping experience is pretty non-existant. I have largely done quick and dirty maps, though ms paint, handdrawn, or just plain in my head, and its time for me to be more proactive in mapping. So I am here to learn and find out how to do a better job, and what tools I should start in. I do like the idea of layers and such, but I need to learn to walk before starting to run.

Korash
03-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Taking those first steps can be intimidating, but we have plenty of friendly people to hold your hand.

A couple of suggestions to get you started:
1: in this forum there is a sticky thread called something like "Quick Start Guide to Mapping". Read this first.
2: Check out the Finished Maps and Cartographers Choice Forums for inspiration. DO NOT get intimidated by the quality you find there, 'cause EVERY artist there started where you are now. Some of them even learned the trade right here. :)
3: Check out the Tutorials forum for walk throughs on quite a lot of differnt styles and progs. Practice with as many as you want but try for one at a time. After a while you will start to develope a style of your own, and then it is off to the races. :)
4: Once you start a map, post it and any others you may do in the WIP (Work In Progress) forum for guidance through our (not) pattented C&C techniques. :) Don't worry, we don't bite and just about all the C&C will be towards makeing you a better mapper. Ask any questions you may have about you maps in that WIP thread as well.
5: Look through the other WIPs as well, and don't be afraid to ask how things were done if you didn't quite get the technique used...

Hope this helps you withh those first steps :D

And Welcome to the Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web :D

jtougas
03-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Most Excellent advice Korash. And Welcome to the Guild Jesse :)

Steel General
03-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Gidde
03-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

NeonKnight
03-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

Kilian
03-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Welcome to the guild!

tilt
03-03-2011, 03:43 AM
welcome to the guild and what Korash said :)

jbgibson
03-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Welcome, Jesse. Do you have any graphics tools you're already familiar with, other than MS Paint and pencils? Or that you have wanted an excuse to get :-) ?

Jaxilon
03-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Welcome aboard, I was once in your shoes a little over a year ago. Great welcome Korash, I'm gonna rep you just for that.

Korash
03-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Welcome aboard, I was once in your shoes a little over a year ago.

Told ya Jesse ;)