PDA

View Full Version : March 2011 entry: Cartopoly

jtougas
03-02-2011, 02:26 PM
I have an idea for this challenge but my motivation lately has been about zero so we'll see if I get anywhere with this. One thing is for certain, if I can't make it better than my disastrous Lite Challenge entry I won't waste anyones time.

On to the premise: A classic style board game where the players must navigate from one end to the other. Each square will be a different "event" some good some bad. The idea is to take your player from WIP to Finished map... We will see how this works out.. :)

Gidde
03-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Hey, that sounds really cool! You could even put the jail in as evidence of the River Police :)

Diamond
03-03-2011, 07:45 PM
I like this idea!

ravells
03-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Sounds like a fun idea!

tilt
03-04-2011, 02:18 AM
sounds like a fun idea indeed... looking forward to seing what you come up with :)

jtougas
03-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone. And thank the mod that fixed my thread title. I swear I'd forget how to breathe lately.. :)

jtougas
03-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Ok the title says WIP so I'd better post something.. :) This is the bare bones basics that I just got up the motivation to work on some today. The idea is that the board will transition from basic outline to finished map as it goes (roughly) from north to south. As you can see I've started with a random continent shape and then filled in the oceans and began the ground base (this is how I do maps) the white area is (as labeled) the "start" area where the game trail will begin. I'm still working on that. Feedback is greatly appreciated as I have NEVER attempted anything like this :)

*Edit* I just noticed the "weirdness" around the edges. I rescaled a layer and it looks like I didn't get it quite right. I'll fix that at some point :)

###LATEST WIP###

lapada
03-04-2011, 06:24 PM
nice ^^ , I cant wait to see the "events"

jtougas
03-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I seem to have a bit of motivation for this at the moment. Probably because I'm working on the "easy" part. I still have to come up with a game trail that's evenly spaced (this one is just to show the general idea) any suggestions on how to do that in GIMP would be appreciated otherwise it's off to Inkscape (which I barely know how to use) I also still have to come up with about 30 or so "events" that will guide our players along their journey.

###LATEST WIP###

Gidde
03-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Wish I could help, JT -- I'm struggling with a similar issue on my map atm :(

jtougas
03-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Wish I could help, JT -- I'm struggling with a similar issue on my map atm :(

As it turns out the solution was really quite simple (although lately just remembering how to turn the computer on is a triumph for me) :) I used a grid set at 20 pixels and set to "snap to grid". Also as it turns out I didn't like the simple dots for a game trail. After all the players will have to roll some sort of die or dice and will need something a bit better than a dot to land on. So all that will need some thought. I worked a bit more on the board itself. I "unfinished" a bit more of the "Northern" part and started on the "Southern" finished part. I can't for the life of me figure out why everything I do lately is such a struggle and why everything I do looks so awful to me. I really hope this passes. :)

*EDIT* Bleh..this is crap as well. Oh well I guess I'm taking a break whether I want to or not. I just really hope I get "it" back.. :)

###LATEST WIP###