PDA

View Full Version : Gadzooks I'm in a lull - somebody slap me

Jaxilon
03-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Uhg, but I've got a lethargy lately. I want to draw and map and stuff and I can visualize what I want to do but when I sit down I keep getting the a case of the blahs....

Tis rubbish I say but I need to blow out the cobwebs or something. What's going on?

I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself but it's been about a week I guess and I haven't done much of anything.

oh oh, do ya think it means my subconscious mind is cooking up something really great? :) nah...that's probably just wishful thinking.

I'm not sure what the deal is but it's like my body is in mud or something.

I've got an idea I'm working to hard lately and it's not leaving enough energy for my art career. :( Sometimes I just hate the real world...well, maybe most times.

Hopefully I get back to full steam soon, there is lots I want to do, I just don't seem to be doing it the last couple weeks. Oh blah, maybe I'll go lay down.

ravells
03-04-2011, 12:56 AM
I'm going through the same thing too.

jbgibson
03-04-2011, 01:16 AM
Digital art is all about fine motor skills and micro decisions. Try doing something that takes neither. Ride a bike a long way, climb a tree or chop one down. Rearrange the furniture in a room. Paint a wall, mix and pour concrete, dig a hole.

Then put your blahs in the hole and bury them :-). Turn up the lights... if it's a touch of Seasonal Affective Disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder) chase it away with superior wattage.

Or find something you should do, that is way less desirable than mapping. Start it or plan it, then allow yourself to put it off... I sometimes do good work, when what I'm doing is avoiding doing something else :-).

Chocolate.

lapada
03-04-2011, 01:22 AM
Maybe try drawing something you have always wanted to? or try something completely different! a new style perhaps? or do work for someone else?

They say the best way to get new idea is to go out and walk around ( or just change your surrounding ) but I know what you mean about real world taking over. When I was doing my co-op ( first real work ) By the time I got home I had 0 energy for art, just played EVE all night :/

Jaxilon
03-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Good ideas all. Appreciate the input. I have a pretty physical job during the day and lately it's been pretty rough. My back was killing me a couple days ago, fortunately I had a light day that allowed me to recover. So as far as moving furniture I'm thinking I'm not slacking on the physical exertion part.

I just feel like vegging lately. I can only take so much of that however. Hopefully I'll be fired up again soon which is typically how I am. This is kind of an odd experience for me. My mind is usually going at a hundred miles an hour so I'm just a tripping out about this. I feel badly for ones who get stuck in this mode though. I'd seriously not enjoy it.

tilt
03-04-2011, 02:15 AM
ahhh... should have saved my post #3000 for this... *SLAP!!!!* *lol*

I have a small correction to gibsons suggestion (which is good) ... change superior wattage to superior vintage ;) ... cheers :)

and sometimes you're just in a slump - been there myself and yes it was exams and work not leaving energy for anything else - but I feel like I'm getting over it myself, I manage to throw a map together for the last challenge, so thats going in the right direction. Perhaps you should go for your next silver compass - there are only 10 days left so that'll force you to go moderatly fast (or wait a week before starting) :)

mearrin69
03-04-2011, 02:43 AM
Heya Jaxilon,
I am in the exact same boat as you...think I tend to get that way in the Winter. I've got a boatload of stuff I want/need to do but whenever I sit down in front of it I just seem to draw a blank. I'm trying to break the tasks into small, achievable bits and move from one project to the next. It's working a little but, really, I think I just need to take more St. John's Wort and turn on my S.A.D. light. You're in AZ so it's probably not a light thing though :) Hang in there.
M

DevinNight
03-04-2011, 08:20 AM
If you aren't required to be making art for a living, then don't sweat it. Just relax and give your body and mind some rest. As soon as you really relax I bet the floodgates open wide. I think most creative people go through this, where they just need some down time to recharge.

Steel General
03-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Been going through something similar since last Summer... :(

Gamerprinter
03-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't know the meaning of 'artist's block', I've got so many projects running simultaneously, if I get stuck on one, I just move to another existing project until I get reinspired to the other one. But then my imagination runs at break neck speed like my mapping, so its never really been a problem for four years straight. I don't envy you guys, and hope I don't fall into that situation... ever. Don't worry your inspirations should get back to you in no time.

GP

jtougas
03-04-2011, 12:51 PM
I know exactly how you feel Jax. I was going gangbusters there for months and I think I used all my creativity up. I still have ideas just no motivation. You're an artist your allowed to have a "slump" when you do get your "mojo" back you'll be better than ever.. :)

Jaxilon
03-04-2011, 01:51 PM
It's interesting that this seems to be pretty typical from the sounds of it.

For the record, it's not that I'm having a mental block, it's more the energy required to put my ideas on 'canvas'. I think it has more to do with my business starting to ramp up for the coming summer months and my body not adjusting to the extra load yet. While it doesn't take that much to push a pencil around (a mouse is a little more hassle to me) it does seem my mental focus to execute is lacking enough that I feel like taking a nap or mindlessly watching TV. I don't even really like watching TV so that's whack. Either that or I'm depressed and don't know it. I've seldom been depressed in my whole life so I'm leaning more toward just being physically spent by the time I get home.

This makes me think that I might create a "How-To" on breaking out of a slump...once I figure it out :)

Ascension
03-04-2011, 03:56 PM
I always get that spring fever where my mind wanders from thing to thing so fast that I can't keep up. Maps tend to take a back seat to the outdoor activities and when I get home I'm usually pretty tired so I just want to chill in front of the tv for something mindless.

Gidde
03-04-2011, 06:23 PM
I hear ya and sympathize, Jax ... I've totally been there. It'll come back -- do something fun and relaxing and recharge the batteries :)

someguy
03-05-2011, 12:10 AM
OK, I slap ya....

Smack!

Jaxilon
03-05-2011, 02:39 AM
Ok, all better now....LOL. If only it were that easy.

Redrobes
03-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Saw this and though of this post...

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~kilcup/262/feynman.html

Ascension
03-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Hmm. Maybe I can get a Nobel Prize someday with all of my tinkering. Heh heh.