View Full Version : Convert paper maps to a digital format

tribal net
03-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Hi :)
I have some very old paper maps and enjoyed the move to digital format, and add some details, but I have no idea how to do it. Which program should I use to draw my map in the style of those maps you find in adventure books that represents cities, mountains ... I've watched some maps in here and I realy like them. Someone help me?

03-04-2011, 06:11 AM
I've moved your post to the "how do I?" forum :)

I'd check out the software thread and the threads about how to start mapping for a lot of good knowledge. Personally I use Photoshop for a lot of my mapping, but a free alternative would be GIMP, if you don't want to actually draw everything Campaign Cartographer 3 could be a choice of softward - it has a lot of predefined icons you can use :)

03-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Hi tribal, welcome to the guild. Try having a look at the quickstart guide to mapping (at the top of the tutorials forum). You might have to do some digital tracing of your maps (or just trace over a scan / digital camera picture if you have a scanner / camera). There are lots of different software to choose from, some free, some cheap and some expensive...try as many as you can to see which you are most comfortable with.

03-04-2011, 12:16 PM
good question, the answer though is quite myriad. We have an entire section dedicated to simply representing the various types of software available for use.