PDA

View Full Version : World of Azamar (Commission for Wicked North Games)

RecklessEnthusiasm
03-04-2011, 11:18 PM
I picked up this really fun commission for Arcgaden of Wicked North Games. He's been great to work and he kindly gave me permission to post a low-rez version here. All rights are, of course, reserved to Wicked North Games.

This is the surface world of Azamar (I understand that there is a huge network of underground caverns ala the Underdark. This black and white map will be in their source-book. Feel free to check out their website HERE (http://azamar.cinema6games.com/).

Diamond
03-05-2011, 01:31 AM
That's beautiful work! The only nitpick I have is that some of the text is hard to read with both the thick black stroke and the outer glow/shadow at the same time.

RecklessEnthusiasm
03-05-2011, 01:43 AM
Good criticism! I'll update that before I send the final version! The outter glow was obscuring some of the actual map too, so there is a good argument for changing it.

tilt
03-05-2011, 07:44 AM
looking great -congrats on the commision ... I'd probably add some white behind the lettering on the forests to make the easier to read :)

Ascension
03-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Very stylish mtns, I dig 'em. Good stuff.

RecklessEnthusiasm
03-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Diamond & Tilt - hopefully this version is a little easier to read. I didn't anticipate some of the issues of working in B&W.

Ascension - Thanks my man. I was inspired by the 3d-ish Tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10471-Step-by-step-3D-ish-mapping) by djekspek.

Diamond
03-05-2011, 07:33 PM
What I mean is places like that area between the cities of Thief and Keldor - something Grasslands?. I can't read it. Now that I look at it again, it looks as though there's some kind of diagonal gradient on it - maybe that's what's doing it. It's somewhat legible now, but you have to stare at it for a few seconds to make it out. Also, if this is going to be shrunk down to fit in a game book, it's REALLY going to be hard to read those names then...

Jaxilon
03-06-2011, 02:09 AM
cool beans man, that looks great! I wondered who had ended up working on this.

RecklessEnthusiasm
03-06-2011, 06:47 AM
What I mean is places like that area between the cities of Thief and Keldor - something Grasslands?. I can't read it. Now that I look at it again, it looks as though there's some kind of diagonal gradient on it - maybe that's what's doing it. It's somewhat legible now, but you have to stare at it for a few seconds to make it out. Also, if this is going to be shrunk down to fit in a game book, it's REALLY going to be hard to read those names then...

Hm, I don't think there was a diagonal gradient, but I'll take a look again. This image will span two full pages in the published book, so it will be almost twice the resolution you see here... I'll fiddle a bit more with the layer effects on the font to make sure they are all visible at their final resolution! Thanks Diamond.

Diamond
03-06-2011, 03:46 PM
No prob. I think it's a kickass map, and I want to make sure everyone can read it! :D

arcgaden
03-08-2011, 03:18 PM
@All - You will definitely be able to read it. We are very happy with all the work done on this map by @Reckless and plan on pursuing further work down the road. We have a lot of projects on the horizon and we're a new company so we will be back here (a lot). The full resolution map will be online soon in the interactive map widget we have on our site ( http://worlds.cinema6games.com ), so keep checking back. I think you will be very happy with his work, too.

- J., Wicked North Games LLC