PDA

View Full Version : CC3 Annual 51 test map

Clercon
03-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Well I don't have a name for the map yet but I just had to try out the Jon Roberts style. It really looks amazing.
So I've been sitting for a while tonight testing things out and this is what I've got. No names yet, but I probably try to add them soon enough.
I hope you like it, and Jon if you read this, thanks for the style :-)

Ascension
03-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Cha-ching, man. Wow. The forests, meh but this is going to help them sell some product. Yowza.

NeonKnight
03-08-2011, 07:17 PM
WOW! I've gotta get off my ass and download this!

Clercon
03-09-2011, 02:45 AM
@Ascension - I can agree on the forest, it looks a bit flat in my opinion. But you also get the single trees that you could combine into a forest, whicj probably will lokk a lot better, but also take some more time. I see if I can squeze in the time to test it out.

But the style will absolutely sell them some copies of the annual, and CC3 I think.

ravells
03-09-2011, 05:19 AM
Utterly stunning mountains....but yeah, the forest could do with lots of improving. CC3 is coming a long way forward!!!

And Torstan is about to be immortalised too - how cool is that!

Steel General
03-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Nicely done...

I think the issue with the forest is that there are no trunks. All of the 'single' trees have them.

jfrazierjr
03-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Nicely done...

I think the issue with the forest is that there are no trunks. All of the 'single' trees have them. <----- what he said. Also, I think the blurriness of the forest does not match with everything else. Did Torstan do the fields also(they look great as a texture)? I think those could use a bit a blur to get the edges to blend in to the surrounding land a bit. Overall, this is quite beautiful though....

Clercon
03-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Yes the fields are from Torstans style as well. I try to add some blur to the edge of them to see how it looks. I agree on the forest opinion.

jfrazierjr
03-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Yes the fields are from Torstans style as well. I try to add some blur to the edge of them to see how it looks. I agree on the forest opinion.

Cool... did he do the structures as well? I just noticed they were different (more sketchy??... cartoony??) that other CC symbols I have seen.. They look good. The only thing I don't really like that much is the delta... I assume that's supposed to be a swamp right? I am not sure why, but it just looks kind of off... perhaps it's just me.... But as everyone else has said. the mountains rock on toast and should really help sell this pack for Profantasy.

Jaxilon
03-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Super nice clercon. How cool is it that, Torstan being emulated in this way? The few points others have already made are on and I have to say again, the mountains are fantastic.

ravells
03-09-2011, 12:07 PM
There may not be a 'Roberts' Theorem', but there'll always be a 'Roberts' Mountain'.

Diamond
03-09-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm tempted to buy CC3 just for those mountains. I'm totally in love with 'em.

Clercon
03-10-2011, 08:50 AM
OK so I've done some changes to the test map. New forest, a lot of clicking but much better result in my opinion. I also added some blur to the edges of the fields which also made a big improvement.
Now the map feels much more complete. Or what do you think?

jfrazierjr
03-10-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm tempted to buy CC3 just for those mountains. I'm totally in love with 'em.

Yea me to. they are sick....

jfrazierjr
03-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Now the map feels much more complete. Or what do you think? Now, thats a good map. Add a scale, compass, and perhaps a cartouche(sp???) and you have a nice map here. Personally, I would probably add a bit more as it's a bit sparse, especially in the mid-bottom, but even as is it's very good. How long did it take you to do this in CC?

anstett
03-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Very nice work, I like the perspective look and feel for the mountains.

The one river delta feels a bit 'enlarged' for the terrain it is in. None of the other ones have any (one of the rivers does not reach the coast it looks like, or just the blur obscures it) so that one sort of stands out.

A very nice map overall, congrats!

BOB

Clercon
03-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Now, thats a good map. Add a scale, compass, and perhaps a cartouche(sp???) and you have a nice map here. Personally, I would probably add a bit more as it's a bit sparse, especially in the mid-bottom, but even as is it's very good. How long did it take you to do this in CC?

Well this was mostly a test of the style, but I might consider finishing it up and adding a few more things. The whole spectacle took about four hours to complete, that also includes some effects in Photoshop (curves and texture). So not much time invested compared to the result.

Clercon
03-10-2011, 10:21 AM
@ Anstett - The delta was put in mostly to test how the texture looked, I can agree on that it is a bit big.
The river that doesn't reach the sea is a conflict between two textures, have to fix that. Thanks.

landorl
03-10-2011, 01:40 PM
That is an awesome toolset for CC3. I wouldn't even know that it was a CC3 map if you didn't say it was.

ravells
03-10-2011, 01:41 PM
And that's what makes it so awesome! Thanks for finding the words which had escaped me, landorl!

Ascension
03-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Did Torstan not include any forests with the tileset?

Clercon
03-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Did Torstan not include any forests with the tileset?

Yes he did. Everything in the map (except the paper background) is from Torstans Tileset. The first "flat" forest plus the single trees are included. I wasn't too fond of the flat version so I created the forests in the map by clicking about 100 times setting out single trees. Looks much better in my opinion.

Clercon
03-13-2011, 06:10 PM
I've added some names to the map, and filled out some areas with more terrain. This time I'm also adding two pictures. One that is the style only (picture to the right), as it looks out of the box and one where I have fiddled with it a bit in Photoshop (picture to the left). Just so you can see the difference.

jfrazierjr
03-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Looks great. One other thing I noted... could you scale down the "hills" as you move away from the mountains? I think a few smaller hills, say perhaps in front of some of the larger ones would give a nice sense of scale to the picture. Not strictly necessary, but I think it might give it a bit more polish. As others have noted, if you had not said, I never would have guessed that this came from CC rather than being hand drawn... it is that darn pretty.

Clercon
03-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Jfrazierjr, yes you can scale down the hills and it probably would give a better scale to the picture. But I did this map as a test of the style, and I must say that I'm very satisfied with the result, so I'm not continuing the map further. Instead I'm probably going to try to do a map in my Etrakien world in the style, then I will take your advice in account.
This one I'm just finishing up and will post the result in the finished section of the forum. Thanks for all the input.

/Clercon.

Mardermann
03-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Hey Guys... I have CC3 but cant find the new style to download.... I think I am just stupid... can anyone point me to it?

edit: A got it now...
its about the subscription.... damn, dont have it