PDA

View Full Version : World Workshop

Sergei Zybin
03-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Welcome to my corner. I decide to make some global thread where is mix of blog, my map-making progress, discussion (if your will be kind to give me some opinions) and else. May be it will be some humble tutorial, because my hard-earned expirience finds place here. Well, before cartography I'm D&D DM. Im my case DMing = Setting-making. I think its not uncommon way here. So... Quest is simple - make world. And I start from map. Concept not wery unique: general part of known world - giant continent somewhat inspired by Asia. My primary goal - build rather generic fantasy earth-like geography to provide adventurers (my players) with huge variety of landscapes and interesting places to visit.

Some updates every week.

Work in process... 29 march 2011 update.

DETAILED SW-REGION

WHOLE WORLD MAP

Redrobes
03-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Very interesting technique laying down the colour splats like that. I can see from your other posted images that its quite a work intensive method but it sure does look good.

Sergei Zybin
03-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks, Redrobes. Right observation - it is slow variant, but works as compensation to lack of art skill (at least I hope so). But I trying learn with every new map and joined this community for this ultimate goal. Many talented and skilled people here, so I hungry to knew some new tricks : )

Ascension
03-09-2011, 04:07 PM
I think it looks great when scaled down to a smaller size...looks fabulous like that. So if you were to work twice as big then scale it down that would be pretty cool as well.

Sergei Zybin
03-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Ascension, thanks for your vision. Yes, I think final version will be scaled so smaller size than work-one.

Map in post #1 updated. Day 2 progress (slow due time-eating job in school). Mostly I try my best in NW region of world, making mountains and some coastlines. Well also i was in passion to make somewhat non-realistic, but epic features to map like strait between deadly frozen rocks. Another problem - find optimal and balanced form for "nothern sea" - I still trying new borders. Greater part of work awaits. Colors tricks- backbone of my non-ergonimical tehnique.

Ramah
03-10-2011, 11:29 AM
I really love how your mountains turn out. :)

Diamond
03-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Wow, how did I not notice this before??? Those mountains are just great. Awesome work, man.

Sergei Zybin
03-28-2011, 05:42 AM
Thanks, guys!

After viewing some tutorials here and reading useful discussions, I little improved (as I hope to) my map. Now its another "corner" of world detailed. Because I little tired from nothern wastes. Now we in steppes of south : ) No rivers or water details yet. My general goal to make map more like oil-paint-piece-of-art, then just photoshop exercise. No matter the time (yes, rather fanatical).

And I want to ask some advice from you. How can I improve texture of steppes?

Ascension
03-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Those mountains are fantastic...very nice. As for the steppe, I don't really know. It's essentially a frozen, or normally cold, grassland with few trees and bushes. It doesn't have to be flat so maybe some hills and some grassy things, a few small trees. I don't really know.

Sergei Zybin
03-29-2011, 06:31 AM
Ascension, Im very apreciative for you constant rewieving of my works : ) Thanks.

1-st post was updated. World map and detailed part downloaded. I created something like special texture for steppes (what is uncommon for my style) and now trying to aply it better. Another thing - I start draw some special locatioe - dried sea, harsh area where lizardfolk will live.

Ryan K
03-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Some of the best mountains I've seen :) kudos!

Sergei Zybin
03-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Guys, Im realy inspired by your kind opinions. Next update on weekend. I will be some steppes.

magicalbookworm
03-31-2011, 09:35 PM
Very neat world map. The lay out is very interesting.

Tigon
04-01-2011, 04:07 AM
Sergei, the steppe area you've got just east of the southern end of the mountains already looks great, at the zoomed out level. However, if you want some ideas why not check out Google Maps (satellite view) — the Байконур area is good inspiration for those arid/dustier regions, especially given the tremendous scale your lovely map is at.

ravells
04-01-2011, 04:12 AM
Great Stuff Sergei! I can see you're going to be a credit to the community!

Sergei Zybin
04-04-2011, 04:55 AM
Thanks! And for advice about google maps. Now overall progress is very limited (hot times at the work), but I polished steppe texture. Here is complete sector.

Sergei Zybin
04-08-2011, 05:51 AM
Here some progress hard born from sketch-chaos. But even rather completed parts not ideal to me and must be polished. This can be little crazy, but I have solid intentions to make some kind of large and detailed almost hand-maked map (just with little help of copy-paste). Im very conservative about layers, filters, blurs and other tricky things.

Sergei Zybin
05-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Im here again, with some new things in my big map.

eViLe_eAgLe
05-28-2011, 01:04 AM
You've crushed my spirit... Good job! :)

tilt
05-28-2011, 02:34 AM
thats a fantastic map sergei - love the mountains and the all your saturated colors - lovely deep green :) ... gotta be hard work but definitly worth it - can't wait to see it finished :)

Sergei Zybin
05-31-2011, 06:03 AM
Thanks, guys. It seems next update will be in week.