PDA

View Full Version : Map inspired doodle

Jaxilon
03-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I haven't posted anything in a few weeks, maybe I was in a slump, but I was meditating on a commission I am working on. So, as I sat at my desk one afternoon I began doodling just because I needed an idea for one of the locations. I'm still not certain if I will use this concept but it's purpose is to be an epic location on the map.

I figured I would just share the scribbles so it didn't seem like I dried up under a rock somewhere. This is just a concept picture so it's not fully polished. Who knows, maybe it'll inspire an idea of your own.

mearrin69
03-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Pretty. Reminds me of a map in a recent Paizo product...a citadel for some faction or other of Cheliaxian Hellknights I think. Looking forward to seeing how your map comes out. Man, I gotta get me somma that Djekspek mojo someday. I dig this ISO art/map style but can never seem to pull it off.
M

Sergei Zybin
03-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Nice color and atmosphere. I think this idea must be used futher.

May be some dead trees added.

Ascension
03-09-2011, 04:05 PM
I like the lil path but not sure about the "wavy-line mtn method" for an isolated mtn like this. Still, though, the execution is great, man. Nice work.

RecklessEnthusiasm
03-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Super cool with an awesome mood, Jax! I'd love to see more of your hand-drawn stuff too--I get the impression that you are an amazing artist adapting his skills to the digital world and I wonder what your stuff looks like on paper...

Anyway, keep this up and people will start asking you to do book/concept art!

Jaxilon
03-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments, I'm glad it was well received.

LOL, that would be awesome RE. I'll probably have to brush up on my humanoid drawing though.

@Ascension - I know what you mean on the wavy mountain idea. It was sort of a cross of testing out using that for basic drawn mountains and trying to fit it into this doodle. It didn't work totally but I expect to use this method in a map one of these days soon.

lapada
03-09-2011, 10:23 PM
pretty awsome , I wonder what life would be like if we ALL had skull mountain homes... but yes vary nice -- I like how even the hill formations make sense geographically WHILE leading the eye.

rdanhenry
03-10-2011, 08:13 PM
If we all had skull mountain homes, they'd be prosaic and uninteresting. Think about how many things you experience everyday that would be the most incredible thing a medieval person had ever seen. Then think about how utterly ordinary you find, say, lighting a room with a flick of your finger.

Of course, anyone who really deserves a skull mountain home will keep anyone else from building one.

tilt
03-11-2011, 05:31 AM
looks great Jax ... nice colors and mood in the drawing.