PDA

View Full Version : playing with mountains and hills

moutarde
03-10-2011, 02:16 PM
I've been trying out a few different things and using techniques from tutorials to try generating my own style of height map thingy. This a few hours of playing around and trying different, and I'm getting close to happy with it, but I'm wondering if I'm just being too critical on myself. This has some techniques from Su Liam and Ascension, plus some stuff I've added to it, these islands a sort of tropical chain.

Ascension
03-10-2011, 03:46 PM
The trick here is to get a little bit more green than yellow but so far so good. I can do this with little effort in PS and a gradient adjustment layer and then stick an airbrush layer in between for all of the minute adjustments. Not sure what Gimp has.

moutarde
03-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention it was all photoshop :) I do feel the lack of green, but adjusting the curves on the greyscale image should be an easy fix for that. It's also completely cloud-free, I originally painted in the elevations in very rough patches. I think I might need to try it out in a more inland area to get a better idea of how it will look.

moutarde
03-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Conclusion: I loathe the mountains, but I love the hills :P Well at least the one half of it worked out nice :)

moutarde
03-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Feels like I'm getting closer to what I want, but it's still not quite there yet. There seemed to be an excessive amount of tweaking the curves on this one, which I'd prefer to not have to do. We'll see :)

Ascension
03-11-2011, 04:40 PM
That last one aint too bad.

moutarde
03-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks Ascension :) This last step, I hadn't looked at the image without all the adjustment layers in a while, and I wonder if it might just be that my gradient map sucks.

jtougas
03-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Feels like I'm getting closer to what I want, but it's still not quite there yet. There seemed to be an excessive amount of tweaking the curves on this one, which I'd prefer to not have to do. We'll see :)

This one looks pretty good. I really like how your hills turned out. :)

moutarde
03-12-2011, 03:22 PM
So I'm a complete noob with Vue, but here's how the most recent version turned out in 3d. The hills obviously still need to be smoothed out a bit, and maybe more valleyish space between them. Back to the experimentation!

moutarde
03-12-2011, 04:53 PM
This is looking better now. Tweaked around the hills some more and it made all the difference. It's also amazing how helpful it is to be able to render it 3d as well.

moutarde
03-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Lots of tweaking of shades of gray and trying to find a good balance between the hills and mountains. I think this is pretty darn close.

EDIT: uploaded the proper 3d image :P The yucky coastlines in the 3d pic are due to my complete lack of knowledge about vue :)