PDA

View Full Version : Old City Ward (Riverhewn)

jtougas
03-10-2011, 05:19 PM
I am starting to put together my campaign setting (again) and I need maps so it's time to shake off the lethargy and get back at it. I've decided to do ward maps of Riverhewn (the capital and largest city in my setting) Like my Stormhaven Ward Maps (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?13120-Port-Ward-of-the-city-of-Stormhaven) I'm going for an "old school" look that will be more "informational" and less artistic (If I tried do anything the least bit artistic right now my head would explode) This is City (or old) Ward it was the first area of Riverhewn (hence the wall) it houses many of the Kingdom's first families and is the "old money" section of Riverhewn.

mearrin69
03-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Looking good so far. I'm not 100% "feeling" the flow of the streets from the placement and position of the buildings. Are you planning on showing streets explicitly or is this done?
M

jtougas
03-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Looking good so far. I'm not 100% "feeling" the flow of the streets from the placement and position of the buildings. Are you planning on showing streets explicitly or is this done?
M

I hadn't really thought about that. Most of Riverhewn is pretty chaotic as far as streets go due to the fact that there is only so much room and building is pretty much a constant thing. The Old City should probably be a bit more "ordered" however. Thanks for bringing that up :)

jtougas
03-11-2011, 04:00 PM
After thinking about what Mearrin said I moved some of the buildings and re-scaled others so that I would actually have streets. I also made the entire map bigger to make it easier to work on (and read) As you can see I started to label the streets and am working on the buildings now.

jtougas
03-11-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm going to keep working on this as long as my motivation sticks around. I color coded the buildings the colors are the same as the Stormhaven Ward (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?13120-Port-Ward-of-the-city-of-Stormhaven) maps that I did earlier (I'm going for one unified theme with this style of map) I also added some "gardens" and walls around the private housing (wealthy folk after all) I'll be working on the key next.

jtougas
03-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Whew. I didn't think I'd have it in me to finish this. So here it is. The City or "Old" ward of the City of Riverhewn (and if you live in Riverhewn you probably just call this ward "The Old City") I screwed up and flattened the image before I put the grid on and because I knew that I would never finish this if I went back and started all over again I just set the grid layer to "overlay" and messed with the opacity a bit and tried to make it look as good as I could. Maybe someday I'll go back and fix it. You may notice that the guild names sound mighty familiar, Yep I stole them from Waterdeep years ago.What can I say :)

jtougas
03-12-2011, 02:54 PM
I decided to fix this as I couldn't quite believe how lazy I've become. Plus I somehow lost my pride in my work and thats something I just will NOT let go. These may not be the most artistically beautiful maps but they do have a neat "feel" IMO and to just post up crap for the sake of posting is nonsense. So after the rant here is the "Final" version of "Old City Ward" I'll be updating the post in the Finished Map forum as well. :)

jtougas
03-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I think I'll put all these in the same thread so I don't clutter up the forum with seven or eight WIPS on basically the same subject. :) This is the start of the Dock Ward section of Riverhewn. It is crowded with mazes for streets and the overall stuffed full feeling most fantasy dock areas have. This will be done in the same style as the others. I have started getting the buildings in place doing my "erase or rescale" method to get them somewhat in order. I hope my motivation sticks around for a while as I have 6 more of these to do.. :)

ravells
03-13-2011, 04:36 AM
I think the feel is great, JT! Keep going....you'll be happy you did in the end, although I can completely understand the occasional loss of motivation.

Gidde
03-13-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm loving this, jt, gogogo :) I've been trying and trying to start a city map in all my paper experiments I've been doing lately, I'm jealous of you folks that actually get to something workable!

Jaxilon
03-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Hey, I just saw this and I think it's great. Good job man!

jtougas
03-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Thank you Gidde and Jax. Its nice to be doing something again.( ah my poor challenge entries..) :)

As you can see I have started to label the streets and alleys. I have tried and tried to get my text to follow a path both in Inkscape and GIMP. I follow the directions about making my path and then my text but I can't for the life of me either select both (In Inkscape) or know what the next step after I get the transparent text along the path. (In GIMP) Help Please.. :)

jtougas
03-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Whew. I figured out the "text to path" procedure *smacks forehead* it was so simple. (I'm really not as thick as I may have sounded in previous posts I was just skipping a step) So with that milestone reached, here is the next installment. I plan on adding more alleys and coloring next. :)

ravells
03-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Looking great, JT! If you're feeling particularly masochistic, try drawing roof lines for the buildings, it will really give them character.

jtougas
03-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Looking great, JT! If you're feeling particularly masochistic, try drawing roof lines for the buildings, it will really give them character.

Ok Rav I accept the challenge. I'm not sure if I'm going the right way with the roof lines though. Maybe they need to be smaller (thinner) ?

Ascension
03-17-2011, 06:47 PM
The line weight (thickness) is fine. The thing that I see is the roof style...keep it simple a la the gable style as it's much easier to actually build.

ravells
03-17-2011, 06:58 PM
What Ascension said. If you want to be super masochistic then you can start to put shadows on the roofs too. Maybe best to do the roof lines first and the shadows later.

jtougas
03-17-2011, 07:03 PM
I see. that would make it much easier than the engineering nightmare I have now :) As far as shadows go I still have to color code the buildings to fit with the theme of these maps.

geamon
03-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Definitely going to echo Ascension with the gabled roof usage. Anything beyond that isn't necessary. You can throw together a couple hip roofs interspersed to break it up as well. This reminds me that I gotta get cracking on my roof tut since it will explain all those elements. Good luck JT.

jtougas
03-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Well thanks to Rav's challenge and Ascension's help and geamon's encouragement I spent the last 3 hours drawing little lines onto all the buildings in the ward. I like the result. The only thing to remember here is that these buildings are going to be color-coded like this (http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32511&d=1295026184) and have a number on top of them so I don't think I'll go too crazy on details.

ravells
03-18-2011, 04:06 PM
It's looking so much better! My only suggestion is to dial back the colour / transparency of the hexes....they only need to be noticeable if you're looking for them.

jtougas
03-18-2011, 07:39 PM
It's looking so much better! My only suggestion is to dial back the colour / transparency of the hexes....they only need to be noticeable if you're looking for them.

Thanks Rav (and thanks for the tip about the hexes) I've started to color code the buildings and I realized that I never really explained why. I seem to remember that about 25 or so years ago I had a very cool TSR map of a city (I wish I could remember what city) that the buildings were color-coded like this. I think the idea was that you could glance at a building and know what function it served (temple,guildhall, etc). I just think it's a neat "old school" thing so that's why I do it.

Diamond
03-19-2011, 10:33 PM
I like the idea of color-coding; if and when I ever get motivated to do a city map (and not quit 3 hours in), I might have to use that myself.

jtougas
03-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I like the idea of color-coding; if and when I ever get motivated to do a city map (and not quit 3 hours in), I might have to use that myself.

Thanks. I have discovered that I actually enjoy this particular style of city mapping, mostly because I'm not trying to create a HUGE city all at once.
I think this one is mostly done. I've left quite a few of the buildings in this ward "blank" as I'm thinking of running the Kingdom of Shendenflar as a actual campaign and I'll need some blank locations for encounters in the future. And as we all know, the "docks" are a great place to hang out (especially at night) :)

Ascension
03-23-2011, 05:58 PM
The only thing that I really have to say is that the buildings are all placed hodge-podge with no real streets. Now, this may be fine for a pirate city, orc town, or a small village but with that many structures the human mind almost always starts to impose some sort of order on things and hence streets are created. You may not want to go back and move things around to create those streets after putting this much work into it, and I totally understand that (I wouldn't want to either), but if you did I think it would look more authentically "citified" and less random. From an aesthetic point of view, looks pretty good.