PDA

View Full Version : Painted figures...

mearrin69
03-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Unfortunately I'm better at making maps than painting miniature figures...but here are two that I painted to surprise a couple of players when we get back to Rise of the Runelords tomorrow. These are Reaper minis made to resemble two of Paizo's "iconic" characters. Meresiel is the one in red and blue - she's an elf rogue that really likes knives. The player picked her when we started the adventure and he has been playing her about like the flavor text suggests. She has a LOT of daggers. Kyra is the one with the holy symbol upraised. She's a cleric of Sarenrae, an "Arabic" godess of fire and some other stuff. That player too has been playing her to the hilt. She even adopted a goblin baby and has created quite a little disciple to Sarenrae: fire and vengeance, what's for a little goblin not to like. He charges out of the temple waving his wooden scimitar every time Kyra comes back to town shouting about infidels...

For those of you not familiar with Paizo's products, Rise of the Runelords is that company's first independently published "Adventure Path". It consists of six fairly meaty chapters and we're just starting on the fourth after a long break. I won't drop any spoilers about it here but I suspect you can find the full plotline somewhere on the Web.

Anybody else do any painting? I did a fair bit of it many years ago and I'm surprised how much my motor skills (and eyesight!) have deteriorated in the interim... Post some pics if you've got 'em!
M

NB: I don't know which is worse, my painting or my photography...

jtougas
03-12-2011, 11:23 PM
You are FAR too modest. Those look awesome. Trust me the ones I used to paint looked like I dripped the paint on from a ladder..in the rain.. :)

LS-Jebus
03-13-2011, 12:19 AM
Maybe a Warhammer fanatic or some equivalent would protest, but what I see are two well-painted miniatures. I paint miniatures sometimes. I don't play any retail games that employ them, but I have created some board games and dioramas that used them. I have painted a couple dozen mini ships for a Risk/Diplomacy-based game, a dozen Warhammer figures, army men, and some ancient Greek units.

Eventually I am going to take another swing at refining my board game, using a much better designed fantasy map, and really spend a lot of time on detail painting on both the map and figures. Sometimes the best thing for an artist to do is stop working, forget he was working on a project, and then rediscover it. Like I just did. I completely forgot about my game... I have two ancient prototypes in my room in two styles... Now I have a lot of ideas and I want to work on it.

tilt
03-13-2011, 03:50 AM
Looks good mearrin, better than I've ever painted my miniatures. Don't use miniatures anymore though, I'm just printing 1" squares (and sometimes 2") to use on my battlemaps - a lot cheaper and less heavy when you go play :) ... but when I reach Forbes bilionaire list I might buy miniatures again ;)

NeonKnight
03-13-2011, 03:51 AM
WOW! Looks better than what I put out.

NeonKnight
03-13-2011, 03:52 AM
Looks good mearrin, better than I've ever painted my miniatures. Don't use miniatures anymore though, I'm just printing 1" squares (and sometimes 2") to use on my battlemaps - a lot cheaper and less heavy when you go play :) ... but when I reach Forbes bilionaire list I might buy miniatures again ;)

That's why I went with the D&D Miniature line. All Plastic, less weight, less hassle. Need a bunch, toss em in a plastic bag and call it a day.

As to PC mini's I like to have a painted mini to represent my PC.

mearrin69
03-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys...appreciate the nice words. I have a couple of friends that are truly awesome painters so I'm pretty critical of my own stuff. I used to be pretty good, though not prolific, and would like to get back into it. I have several pounds of assembled but unpainted metal...

BTW, I have a TON (like four Office Depot 18"x12"x8" clear plastic storage boxes) of the D&D pre-painted plastic minis. Also have a bunch (four smaller boxes) of their Star Wars figures and a couple of sets of the HeroScape minis and boosters. I likes me some truthful tabletop representation of battles. :)
M

Immolate
03-13-2011, 10:18 PM
I painted mini's ("figures" as we called them) for many years. I had well over a thousand when I finally decided to stop collecting them and sold them at my friend's store. I won some local competitions, but this was back before there was a lot of talent painting D&D miniatures. I used a "dry" technique that consisted of starting with a dark bottom layer and working my way up to the highlights with drier and drier brushes. I also did a lot of customization, and had quite the selection of loose weapons and polystyrene stock for fabricating weapons and other props. I did not use inks and found that they added a shine to my miniatures that I did not like.

Your work is quite well done. I think that anyone who understands shading, has a steady hand and descent eyesight can paint miniatures. I think someone like you can be brilliant at it.

mearrin69
03-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Here's my next project. We're starting up a Firefly game using the old Deadlands rules soon - two players running two characters each. Been mulling character concepts and had a couple in mind and found minis to rep them before I finished them up. These are from the Chronoscope line - their bases have a nice little recess on top and I used some things from my bits bucket to mock up some deck plating and "tech" before priming them. Hope to get them painted this weekend.
M

mearrin69
03-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Got these ready for our Monday night game. Now, to get the characters they represent finished up!

Heh. They really *do* look better in person than in this photograph. Those 'Eavy Metal guys must be pretty swell painters to have their results look so good in close-in photos. Mine look fairly rough but they look great at 8" from the eye without a flash. Don't know if I should be shooting to be a better painter or a better photographer!

Okay. Now to mapping. I think I'm going to take a break from the hard-core stuff and do this month's Lite Challenge...sounds like fun even though I can't make an official entry.
M

Edit: I seem to have the painting bug lately (which is good because I have pounds of unpainted metal and plastic). Would love to see some of the stuff other members are working on. Feel free to post it up...

DevinNight
03-25-2011, 10:18 PM
I would not be surprised if a lot of the great looking minis weren't photo-shopped before posting... not that there aren't some great painters out there, just that getting really good pictures of them is tough.
I have been trying to sneak downstairs to paint up a few of my Descent and DnD minis. If I do anything good I'll post a few.

mearrin69
03-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Descent. Is that the Fantasy Flight boxed game? I'd love to see some of those painted up. I've been ogling that game for a while now wanting to buy it...looks pretty cool. I can't much find board game players in my neck of the woods though I haven't tried very hard. I picked up Tide of Iron and an expansion a while ago and have been itching to play it (should be called Box of Iron...it's friggin' heavy).

Edit: Yeah, I had to stay my hand to avoid doing a little touch-up on my photos before posting. They really *do* look better in person. I was so proud...until I got the photo onto my computer and saw how hacked they look! :)
M

rdanhenry
03-26-2011, 01:40 AM
I think if you want to do good photos, you need either natural or studio lights so you can see what the effect of the lighting is. Using a flash just doesn't give the same control.

mearrin69
03-26-2011, 03:10 AM
I think I'd need a better camera to even bother. All I have is an HP digital camera (with a broken battery door...have to hold it closed with my thumb to keep it on) or the one on my Blackberry. Neither are great for taking pictures of stuff up close. Hey, I'm not much of a picture taker and I doubt I'll take up the hobby at this point. My wife has an old Nikon 35mm and a couple of lenses (not a macro lens, though, if I recall) but I don't even have a clue what half of the gadgets on it are for. :) Guess I'll stick with my poor photos for the time being!
M

DevinNight
03-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Yep, that's it. It's a game that takes too long to play, unless you have 6-7 hours to kill on a given day. But the quality and number of minis drew me to it.... I plan on taking all the pieces and reworking the rules to make the game playable in 1-2 hour sessions. I think the time it takes to play is the biggest drawback of the game. I'll snap a photo or two later... I haven't painted even half of them since I got the two DnD games which are easy enough for my younger girls to play and my wife will even play.

RobA
03-28-2011, 08:10 PM
I would not be surprised if a lot of the great looking minis weren't photo-shopped before posting... not that there aren't some great painters out there, just that getting really good pictures of them is tough.
I have been trying to sneak downstairs to paint up a few of my Descent and DnD minis. If I do anything good I'll post a few.

My son and I finished all the Descent monsters. I just spray primed the heroes.

This is one of the demons photographed. A levels adjust was the only post processing. Shot in an ad-hoc photo booth consisting of 2 clamp lamps and one trouble lamp with my telephoto lens (gotta get me a macro lens one day...):

(We "dip" painted them after painting)

-Rob A>

mearrin69
03-29-2011, 04:06 AM
That's sweet! Are they bendy plastic like the DDM figures or more solid, like WH40k plastics?
M

DevinNight
03-30-2011, 07:21 PM
This might be a personal choice but it's a bit glossy. Have you ever tried using dull-cote or a non-glossy sealant? The painting looks good... it's got enough detaqil in the face to fool people into thinking these things are bigger than they are.

jfrazierjr
03-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Rob has the right idea. If you plan(and have the space) to do much in the way of photo-ing mini's you should really consider spending a few bucks on a "booth", usually 2-3 feet on a side and and several light sources to reduce shadowing. I am certain there are internet tutorials about how to set these things up on the cheap.... With enough directed lighting and the right camera setting, you won't get the flash and will just get a good pic(tripod is best).

jfrazierjr
03-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Rob, that's a really cool pic. I do agree a bit with Devin though about the glossy being a bit to pronounced, but it's still a really cool mini! Do you have a DSLR? I seem to think you mentioned on another thread you did. If so and you have tripod, you might want to try to up the aperture a bit and decrease the shutter speed to help the entire figure be in focus. This should work well with a telephoto lens since you already have an excellent booth/tripod set up.

mearrin69
03-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Photography...meh. :) I've used white foam-core to make a ground/backdrop and turned on some upward-pointing halogens for lighting before. That's probably as advanced as I'll ever get on that front. LOL. I do have a tripod, however!

I always paint my minis with a matte varnish...but I'll sometimes apply gloss finish by hand to certain parts to make them shiny. I know some folks that prefer gloss, however.
M

mearrin69
05-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Here's a Warhammer 40K Imperial Guard Commissar I did up for our new Dark Heresy game I'm running. He played the part of Commissar Nihilius in Shattered Hope...though I expect he'll be showing up regularly. I also picked up a tech priest and an inquisitor. Will be painting those when I get some time.
M

Steel General
05-04-2011, 07:34 AM
Nicely done Mearrin... I can't paint figures to save my life.

mearrin69
05-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks very much. Now I'm going to have to learn to take better pictures using some of the advice above... ;)

BTW, a tip for minis like this: if you have a 'pin vise' consider drilling out the barrel of your guns. The Warhammer minis have a small divot where the barrel is and it just doesn't paint well. I drilled that out and also through the side 'ventilation holes' and it looks pretty sharp.

Edit: Oh, and I highly recommend the bases I just found - pack of five pre-molded resin bases for $2.50 or so. These are made to look like 'diamond plate' with little do-dads stuck on but they have other types as well including rubble and some steampunky pipes and ductwork. I can look up the manufacturer if anyone's interested. I had to cut off the figure's mounting tab and drill and pin the figure to the base using CA and greenstuff but it worked very well. It looks better in person than in the photo! :)
M

MarkoDarko
05-18-2011, 05:33 PM
That's really nice mini work. I sort of knew there were drills that small, but I've never seen anyone use them on something like this. I'm ~okay~ at painting mini's, but not this good. My cousins began making rapid prototype (http://www.realizeinc.com/) custom mini's for a local gaming shop, and they got me started. They're on this level.

NeonKnight
06-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Hey, thought I would toss out this BLOOD BOWL Norse team I just finished painting for a player in our league.

mearrin69
06-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Dude, those are sweet! The basing is very nice as well. Do the different base colors have significance in Blood Bowl?

I've been doing some more painting off and on. Will try to get a couple of photos up soon?

Redrobes
06-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Yeah sweet, you will need a snow covered pitch now to play on. Players in Blood Bowl have roles like the blockers and the throwers etc and you need to know who is who. I expect that's part of the coloring.

NeonKnight
06-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Dude, those are sweet! The basing is very nice as well. Do the different base colors have significance in Blood Bowl?

I've been doing some more painting off and on. Will try to get a couple of photos up soon?

Kinda. The individual colors vary from player to player, but for this person's team it is:

RED - Blitzer
YELOW - Catcher
WHITE - Passer
BLACK - Linemen

Mostly a visual aid to tell what type of player is which and thus what basic skills they may/may not have.

Steel General
06-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Nicely done NK, but I would have though Norsemen would have a paler skin tone? These guys look like they all hang out at Club Med in the off-season :)

NeonKnight
06-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Well sir, you can actually get a pretty bad sunburn while skiing or snowboarding or any other outdoor winter activity.:

http://www.gosunsmart.org/firstaid/firstaid_sunburn.shtml

The reason people are 'pale' in the winter months is they are covered up and generally indoors. In fact historically, it was sign of wealth and privilege to NOT have a suntan. Having a suntan meant you were poor and forced to work outdoors most of your life, something the Noble Ladies of yore never needed to do. As a result they all had the pale Alabaster skin we hear about the ladies having and why the white face power (especially of the french court) was so important.

Later into the late 1800's early 1900's with the industrial revolution and people moving from an outdoor work environment to indoors to work in the factories (and thus out of the sun) wealth meant the ability to travel to places like the French Riviera, and the Caribbean a tan was a sign of wealth as it meant you have the free time and the means to span your time NOT work indoors and spend your luxury time outdoors.

That aside, the Norse mean would be Tan as they spent their time outdoors and in the sun, even in the winter :D

NeonKnight
06-05-2011, 01:23 AM
You know, I had such fun posting up the pics of the Norse team I painted, I thought I would share some of my actual teams (as in teams that I myself field and am coach of).

My First Team for leagues Fall of 2009, Season 7 was the Lizardman team: LICCALOTTAPUS

The Kroxigor was named BARNEY and has the Phrase "I LOVE YOU" painted on the bone spike he carries :D

The following Season 8 saw me field the Khemri team LOOT'N'ROB'EM

In Season 9 I played the Human Team: SISTERS OF NO MERCY

and in the current season, it is a Dark Elf Team: LIPSTICK & LEATHER

I'm still painting this team, so I will post it up once I finish two figs.

mearrin69
06-05-2011, 02:47 AM
LICCALOTTAPUS...heh. Nice paints!
M

Redrobes
06-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Great stuff. I like the sisters of no mercy - excellent. I bet those girls have got a nasty habit of winning...

NeonKnight
06-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Great stuff. I like the sisters of no mercy - excellent. I bet those girls have got a nasty habit of winning...

Sadly, no they had a nasty habit of getting killed by my opponents. And not Just Killed, but Hit, Casualty, Death, Apothecary and Death again :(

Worst luck with them of any team I played.

Steel General
06-05-2011, 09:17 AM
That aside, the Norse mean would be Tan as they spent their time outdoors and in the sun, even in the winter :D

I stand (more accurately sit) corrected. :D

LICCALOTTAPUS - Love it!

Nice job on the rest of these as well.

Diamond
06-07-2011, 12:06 AM
I painted minis years ago, but I was never on a level with you guys. Those are awesome, especially the norse and lizardman teams.

Why don't we have a facepalm smiley?