PDA

View Full Version : My new Photoshop map

Sel93
03-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Another map attempt of my (still nameless) world.

I just started, and theres yet much to do.

Done in Photoshop.

jtougas
03-16-2011, 06:22 PM
That looks really good. The only thing I can see is that some of your rivers look very "geometric" with square bends. Also I'm not a big fan of the bevel effect with hand drawn style maps but thats just me. Keep up the good work :)

Diamond
03-16-2011, 10:51 PM
I actually really like the bevel effect on the rivers (on this map, anyway). They're fairly subtle and understated, and give the rivers just enough pop without going overboard. Like jtougas, I do think they look too angular though.

What I really love is the background texture - that looks sweet.

Tigon
03-17-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm with Diamond on the texture of the background: really nice especially the effect at the coasts. Be interesting to see how it progreses.

Sel93
03-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks! I will look how I can improve the rivers.

I just tried another colour touch to make it look more parchment-like ... which one would you prefer?

Diamond
03-17-2011, 02:02 PM
I personally like the first color scheme better.

jtougas
03-17-2011, 02:04 PM
I would agree with diamond. the first one is better. :)

Tigon
03-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Depends upon the effect you're after but without any specific aim in mind the first for me too, but not by a lot. Nice hills and new stuff in the second image though. Looking good.

Sel93
03-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Ok, thank you, thats what it looks like without the new texture:

Slylok
03-18-2011, 01:28 PM
looking really good Sel! I like the shape of it a lot. I would add some darker color under the forests and mountains to help them blend better.

Sel93
03-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Thank you Slylok, I tried a bit but till now I couldn't draw good results concerning the ground under the forests / mountains, so thats not included this time. Do you mean just a darker brown or a green ground under the trees or something else?

What I did was changing the landscape a bit.

Before I go on now, I have to think of some more names for cities because there are many blank points there in the moment ^^

Slylok
03-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Yes, a darker color or a subtle texture that would make the forests and mountains look more connected to themselves. Maybe even adding more trees and mountains in between the gaps. Right now they are individual pieces in close proximity to each other. Theres nothing wrong with that, because everyone that looks at it will understand where the forests and mountain ranges are. It just comes down to preference and the look you're going for. I prefer the connected look :)

some of your labels may look good with a small outer glow in a light tan color. it will help it to be more legible for the parts that cross over mountains, forests, and rivers.

Keep up the good work! its looking really good :)