PDA

View Full Version : Isometric Stone Blocks Process

muddle
03-19-2011, 01:16 PM
In total muddle fashion, I have started yet another random map experiment. Anyway, This is an illustration of a simple vector process of creating some isometric stone blocks. Completely inspired by all those old sprite-based rpg video games of yore. I am hoping to create a bunch of different types of block elements and tile them together into an isometric map someday. comments welcome, as always.

mearrin69
03-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Very cool!

Djekspek
03-19-2011, 02:13 PM
looking very good! Seeing this I really got to try my hands on vectors sometime. cheers, DJ

muddle
03-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Continued work... started stacking this blocks a bit like lego bricks... Now that I have a bunch of these blocks stacked together I am feeling like all the little detailed shading bits are just too complicated and distracting. Perhaps I should take a step back and simplify down all those rough edges? Agree, or Disgree?

Ascension
03-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Can't really say. I'd have to see other styles before making any judgment. I think that they look pretty good, though. It seems to me that you might need some darker colors on the sides to create more contrast and help differentiate between the various planes (top, right side/left side). That will probably require a darker stroke as well. Anyway, it's all personal preference but I might try going either darker or making the cracks smaller/less pronounced.

mearrin69
03-20-2011, 10:22 PM
I dig it. Reminds me of the Habbo Hotel sort of thing. A long while ago I was involved in a pixel art forum (I know this is vector, but...) and there were some guys doing amazing things with one pixel at a time...one even did a whole magazine cover. Have to see if I have any of my stuff from that era.
M

Edit: link: http://www.habbo.com/
Edit again: some more cool links: http://www.pixeljoint.com/ http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pixelart/Creating_Pixel_Art_Painting_Pixel_by_Pixel_Tips_an d_Tutorials.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_art

DevinNight
03-22-2011, 01:23 AM
I like them. What app are you using? Do you have an option to round some of the sharp corners? In illustrator it's a stroke option... there are just a few too sharp edges on the blocks.
Overall though I think it's pretty nice and could lead to a really nice ruins, or town square.

muddle
03-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Still experimenting with stacking isometric blocks. Very inspired by the pixel art forum link, but feeling like i won't be able to replicate that look with a vector program.

muddle
03-26-2011, 07:01 PM
more isometric work... not sure if this qualifies as a map yet, but it is inspired by isometric maps anyway...

muddle
03-27-2011, 03:39 PM
small update: color test completed

muddle
04-02-2011, 11:32 AM
hope nobody minds, but I am going to keep posting small updates as I figure out how to create various isometric map pieces.

DevinNight
04-02-2011, 12:31 PM
please do. Looking forward to seeing more. The grass looks great.

muddle
04-02-2011, 11:47 PM
another attempt at isometric water... does this look like water or a blue piece of swiss cheese???

mearrin69
04-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Gelatinous cube! It's pretty good but less regular "caustics" would be better if possible I think. Also, the mismatch along the cube edges is a bit distracting. I can't imagine how you did this in vector, though, so I can't suggest how to fix either of those issues.
M

Ghostman
04-03-2011, 05:32 AM
I think only the top square of the water block should have the wave pattern. One would only ever see the sides in cut-out representations anyway, and in those it makes more sense to give more of an underwater impression, rather than that of a vertical surface. I'd make the sides be a solid blue color, and completely opaque to hide that bottom square that you can currently see due to the transparency - while this is not a problem with a single block, it would prolly look pretty awful if you made a deep body of water from these blocks.

Steel General
04-03-2011, 10:59 AM
SpongeBob's arctic relative :D

Seriously though, maybe a few less 'bubbles' and I think it would look better.

DevinNight
04-03-2011, 12:14 PM
I think Ghostman has the gist of it. Perhaps adding a subtle gradient from lighter blue at top to darker blue near the bottom.