PDA

View Full Version : Untitled (as yet) map

Ramah
03-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Hey there.

I'm still trying to get my mojo back up to speed. So as a break from a project I need to finish but is boring me rigid, I decided to make a start on a new map. The current idea is that this is going to be done very quickly and very roughly. I'm not currently interested in spending weeks agonising over tiny details. So although you can tell by the image, this map is very rough, it might not look much better when it is complete.

The plan is to spend half an hour on this whenever my other projects start getting me frustrated. Even so, I expect to have this done much quicker than my usual stuff.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention... I also decided that I'm not allowed to use the eraser. :)

Larb
03-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Those mountains look pretty, I love the over-exposed look. I need to make an archipelago map using this sort of perspective so I may have to borrow the style and see how it turns out.

Ascension
03-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Agreed, cool effect. I hate using the eraser as well, takes too much time and I get too anal about it.

jtougas
03-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Hey there.

I'm still trying to get my mojo back up to speed. So as a break from a project I need to finish but is boring me rigid, I decided to make a start on a new map. The current idea is that this is going to be done very quickly and very roughly. I'm not currently interested in spending weeks agonising over tiny details. So although you can tell by the image, this map is very rough, it might not look much better when it is complete.

The plan is to spend half an hour on this whenever my other projects start getting me frustrated. Even so, I expect to have this done much quicker than my usual stuff.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention... I also decided that I'm not allowed to use the eraser. :)

Sometime you just gotta draw a MAP.... :) Looks very cool

anstett
03-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Like the look alot! Something about it just says "this is what we know, the rest there might be dragons"

Question on the one mountain, is it supposed to be that much higher than the surrounding ones? or is that a potential eraser casualty?

Also want to see how that lone super tower/mountain/structure turns out.

BOB

Ramah
03-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Anstett: It is just a large mountain, thrown in there for variation. I usually throw one or two "superpeaks" in at some stage. Might be geographically stupid but I like to think it gives options for cool backstory if and when it is needed. :)

Anyhoos, a new image. Spent some time this afternoon working on the coast and the ocean...

... obviously it isn't finished yet. :)

LinkSkywalker
03-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Would you be so kind as to share what tools you are using for this map? I imagine pencils and inking pens, plus some manner of paints?

I lack the artistic ability to emulate this kind of work, but I wouldn't mind trying!

Ramah
03-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Would you be so kind as to share what tools you are using for this map? I imagine pencils and inking pens, plus some manner of paints?

I lack the artistic ability to emulate this kind of work, but I wouldn't mind trying!

Nope, nothing like that. Just photoshop.

Ramah
04-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Small update.

Roughed in some heraldic shields, tested a forest style, faffed about with some clouds...

anstett
04-03-2011, 05:15 PM
I like the Shields and charges on them and the clouds.

Not feeling the forest or at least it feels more like a green jelly attacking the hills there rather than trees to me. It might be that the coloring is too subtle for me to pick up though.

BOB

Ramah
04-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Bah. Well so much for my free and easy method with this. And so much for the "no eraser rule." :S

Working on one thing meant I wanted to clean something up to ease my trouble, which led to me cleaning other things up which led to this...

As you can see, I've completely redone the landmass shape in a style closer to how I usually do it. And I've also cleaned up the mountains, losing the "overexposed" rough look to them and made them into something a lot cleaner and crisper.

I still intend to make it a lot more colourful and "cartoony" even, than I normally go for. Hopefully that intention will last until I finish it.

jtougas
04-07-2011, 04:25 PM
It's so hard to change a style that works isn't it? This is really very good and I'm enjoying watching the process :)

Ascension
04-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Either way is fine by me, I like both styles. The shields are killer.

Ramah
04-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Cheers guys.

Well managed to do a bit more on this and added a new border. It's not finished yet but you can get the gist of it here. I intend on adding some leaves and some more vines at the other corners, although not as many on the corner already added, keeping it asymmetrical.

Ryan K
04-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Beautiful work, Ramah :)

Ramah
04-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Border almost finished. Need to add a few more leaves, finish adding thorns and maybe a bud or two. Plus little bits such as colour correction on the bottom corners.

Ramah
04-18-2011, 10:50 AM
WIP on the ocean...

Djekspek
04-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Amazing waves, love them! You realize now you have to do the complete map incl. hills, grasslands etc in this paintery / surrealistic style... we expect it :D
cheers, DJ

jtougas
04-18-2011, 12:34 PM
That is stunning. :)

mearrin69
04-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Wow. Have some rep for those amazing waves. If you do manage to pull off a whole map in this style it will be legendary!
M

Ramah
04-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks guys. :)

As to doing the whole map in this style... it wasn't the plan and I'm not sure I would be up to it. Then again, my plans for the map keep changing so who knows. My attempts so far at rendering towns and cities have been terrible, although I wouldn't have classed them as "this style" either.

Ah well... first I'll finish the sea and then try and decide on a forest style.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Clercon
04-18-2011, 02:04 PM
This look fantastic. Keep up the good work :-)

Sapiento
04-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Looks fantastic, Ramah! Are the borders (vines etc.) all hand drawn or do you use templates?
The waves look superb!

Ramah
04-19-2011, 04:21 AM
Cheers Sap.

Yes, the borders are all hand drawn. For the middle section of the top left corner of vines I did sorta copy the layout of a vector image I found, just to get some idea of how to do it. This was then weaved in to other vines I added.

Ramah
04-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Just about finished the waves now. Need to make a few small adjustments here and there but they are 99% finished (not exactly sure how I am gonna handle that gulf in the SE corner.. I tried adding some waves but they looked pretty bad... might just leave it calm like it is now). I'm showing them at 100% visibility right now but in the finished map I will probably tone them down a bunch so as not to draw too much attention away from the landmass.

torstan
04-20-2011, 04:50 PM
I agree with everyone on the waves - they're looking pretty great. Probably some lower level chop/ripples in the SE gulf? There wouldn't be big waves there, but a bit of something will stop it looking bare. What did you do over the paper background to get your sea colours - overlay? colour burn? It looks great.

arsheesh
04-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Wow, that's incredible! I love the waves and the vine border! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Ascension
04-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Down near the gulf, between two islands you have a little wavelet, something like that might fit the gulf.

Ramah
04-21-2011, 06:08 AM
What did you do over the paper background to get your sea colours - overlay? colour burn? It looks great.

The sea colour is four layers in total (and the paper texture underneath them all of course), two of which being the darker area around the landmass. Of the two layers that are the main colour though...

The first is a light blue colour and is painted reasonably roughly so that not all the area has full opaque coverage. It's then set to Darken with opacity at 50%. The second layer is more like a large stroke around the landmass which I dragged around with the smudge tool to get a less uniform shape than a gaussian blur would have given me. It's pretty much the same colour but this is set to Colour Burn and again set at 50% opacity.

That gives me the colours you see in the screeny I posted before the last one. This last image I posted I added an adjustment layer to desaturate the whole image... well.. another method, not an adjustment layer but it amounts to the same thing.

As for adding waves to the empty gulf area.. I did try adding some waves (in fact I still have them masked out at the moment) but it all look a little too busy and generally... sucky. I'll have another crack at it before I'm done I'm sure but at the moment I have a mask ready to apply which all but eliminates a lot of the waves leaving them looking more like waves seen through mist and makes them much less intrusive. Seen like this then the area doesn't really look empty. I guess I'll do some more experimenting but for now I'll try and sort out what to do with the landmass.

torstan
04-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks for that - interesting to see how other people do things. I don't use darken at all - I'll have to play with that.

Ramah
04-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Ok. Done a pass at adding a bit of life to the landmass. I may tweak the colours a little and alter the undulations in places but overall I'm pretty pleased with how this came out. :)

I think it seems to be holding its own against the sea too, which is a bonus. One I get forests and points of interest in, I don't think I will need to lower the opacity of the sea quite as much as I thought I would.

Ascension
04-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Agreed, once the forests and towns/structures are in then I think everything will turn out just fine. Love them hills.

Diamond
04-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Ramah... you are a genius. That is one gorgeous piece of maposity.

:shock:

Ramah
05-03-2011, 06:34 AM
Managed to get some time to work on this yesterday afternoon and started adding some forests in. I need to add some more and also make some changes to the ones I've already added but these are what style the forests are gonna end up like, give or take some colour changes.

I also added in a name to the map. And yes, I am aware of the irony of it being of a map of a land called "Unknowne." :) I was planning on something more elaborate with font and decoration of the title but I kinda like how it looks when left simple.

Ascension
05-03-2011, 07:36 AM
They look awesome.

Djekspek
05-03-2011, 08:16 AM
man those forests are amazing!

Ramah
05-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys. I was very unsure of them as I was working on them to be honest.

Clercon
05-03-2011, 04:21 PM
This map is so beautiful...I'm amazed!

arsheesh
05-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Simply amazing work Ramah! The colors are vibrant and the overall drawing is very impressive. Great stuff!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

LonewandererD
05-04-2011, 10:22 AM
The amount of skill you have and how awesome your maps look is both inspirational and demoralising. I don't whether to tell you to keep up the good work or steal your talent and run. Bravo!

-D-

Ramah
06-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Not much of an update here from the last one as I'm really kinda struggling with this. This is actually my first non-commission map that isn't to do with the world I created for my story over many years and as such I've found it hard to get in the right mindset to think of towns, cities etc. and where they should go.
I started to draw some in a perspective style but after drawing a tower I'd sit back and stare at it for an hour and wonder where to go next. So to help alleviate that problem I whipped up some quick 2d icons and was able to place them much quicker. These red icons are only temporary, and I do intend to replace them all with perspective markers similar to the few I've done in the SW of the island. I do quite like the look of them though and I think I'll probably use this style on another map. :)

Not much else to report I guess... added an extract from a poem. Roughed in a few cliffs in one position as a test. Umm... the two labels I added are not final btw, feel free to discount them at your leisure.

Anyhoo... here's where I'm at now...

Ascension
06-04-2011, 05:21 PM
They look pretty cool I think. Reminds me of the old Risk plastic tokens for armies.

RjBeals
06-04-2011, 10:09 PM
This looks like a real piece of artwork. Love this one and love the WIP you've been posting. Like everyone else, I'm blown away by those waves.

tilt
06-05-2011, 02:16 AM
BAH-uuutiful :) ...looks fantastic, the only thing is the title - imho its to large :)

tilt
06-05-2011, 05:48 AM
hmmm... looks like I forgot to turn to page 2 *lol* ... love the 3D city icons (the 2D are fun too) - and the poem and the colored icons helps a lot on the title - it doesn't dominate as much :)

Steel General
06-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Another Ramah masterpiece!

jfrazierjr
07-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Looking forward to seeing more of this Ramah.... I love the ISOish town icons you have going on. You should consider a swamp in there somewhere, personally, I like the area below the large lake... then the castle would be..... "Swamp Castle".... heh....

Obbehobbe
07-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Stunning map!

What resolution, width and height did you start with?