PDA

View Full Version : March/April Lite Challenge Entry: Watery Cavern

Wannabehero
03-24-2011, 01:10 AM
I just saw what the latest Lite Challenge category was today, and I feel silly for not noticing sooner, I love dungeon tiles!

So I think I'm gonna throw my hat in and try my hand at my first competition. I started doodling while at work, trying to come up with a neat tile concept that would be fun to draw and useful to use. It got me thinking "What does every dungeon need?" The answer: lots of things, but I'm gonna go with a seeping watery hole filled with fungus. Fun!

Here is my pencil sketch first concept, with the walls inked in. I hope to start in earnest on this project very soon.

Ascension
03-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Nice sketch. Looks good.

jtougas
03-24-2011, 02:41 AM
Cool. Kind of looks like a stomach. (What is wrong with me..) :) looking forward to watching this develop. :)

tilt
03-24-2011, 06:00 AM
very nice ... and good to show that one can go with the organic look as well :)

Steel General
03-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Looks like a fine start.

Wannabehero
03-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Here's the next update.

Sketched out the walls and ledges, pillars, and pools on a tablet. Masked and filled the preliminary shadows. Inked in a portcullis.

Next up, put in some mute stone textures and some room features.

### LATEST WIP ###

Katto
03-28-2011, 04:11 PM
I like it and I'm curiuos to see how it will look like with the textures.

Wannabehero
03-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Thanks Katto, your entry is looking pretty rad too.

In update news, Here's an update.

Reworked the room contours and shadows to a more organic presentation. Still preliminary, the shadows will need to be blurred and blended later, but I like the look better for now.

Still trying to decide how to texture the floor.

### LATEST WIP ###

Ryan K
03-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Looks good :)

Wannabehero
03-30-2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks Ryan K :D

Progress update. I decided on a texture style for the cavern floor. I messed around with textures to fill in the negative space in the walls, but I wasn't sure how this would jive with the contest requirements of solid black lines for walls so I am leaving the void space in the wall regions white for now. If necessary I can fill them black also, though I personally don't like the look (way to much black).

Toyed with some shading gradients to give the room more depth perspective, but I think I will just shade this by hand sometime in the future instead of using a gradient.

Here is the latest WIP

### LATEST WIP ###

Troedel
03-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Quote "IŽll only wear black until they invent something darker..." ;)
I like your cavern. Please tell me there isnŽt something nasty in this perfect swimming pool. You could give me a hint with a tentacle or two. Keep going.

Savannah
03-31-2011, 12:46 AM
Hi, Wannabehero! *waves* (If you have no idea who I am, that means there's someone with your exact username and avatar on GitP ;))

Nice map. I think there's a lack of natural caves in dungeons (probably because they're a pain to draw). Plus I always forget to put pools in my dungeons, even if I remember the caves, so I like maps with them....

*goes back to thinking about what she wants to enter*

Wannabehero
03-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Well hello Savannah, you found me here! There is still time left, you should definitely consider making an entry into the contest as well. The more the merrier!

Savannah
03-31-2011, 08:13 PM
Yeah, but it helps to have an idea :P If I can get that, I will definitely enter.

Wannabehero
04-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Thanks Troedel, I thought about putting features in the pool, like tentacles or a clutch of eggs, but (aside from being more work) I think leaving it generic will allow maximum flexibility for users. But yeah, I definitely picture something nasty lurking in the water, something ready to spring forth in a spray of dank cave-water.

Update: Filled the wall sections with black to conform to other tiles. They fade slightly to the actual wall boundaries so they stand out more (full on black mutes the cavern walls significantly) but I tried to make sure all actual boundaries of the image are full black.

Shaded the floor to try and depict more of the elevation slope of the room. Detailed the pool water a bit.

Next up, mushrooms.

### Latest WIP ###

Troedel
04-01-2011, 05:33 AM
No caverns without mushrooms and glowing fungus!

Wannabehero
04-02-2011, 02:01 AM
Toying around with some mushroom designs. Tweaking the contours.

### Latest WIP ###

Wannabehero
04-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Currently just generally tweaking things. Toyed with adding a carcass or some old bones near the water, but my drawing skills have failed to produce anything I'm happy with. I think I'm closing in on having this little project finished.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
04-04-2011, 12:21 AM
This is lookin' good, man.

Wannabehero
04-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Thanks A, I appreciate the encouragement!

Update: After a great deal of trial and error, I added some skeletal remains. I've never drawn skeletal elements before for battlemaps, it was a fun learning experience! Filled in a whole bunch more mushrooms, why have a few when you can have a lot! I've also never had the occasion to try and draw top-down mushrooms before, so that was fun too (its kinda hard making them not look like rocks when working in grayscale). :) Darkened up the contours, wall shadows, and floor shading a bit to try for more contrast.

I'm fairly happy with how this is turning out, if I had it to do over I've got a few new ideas, but this has been fun and I've been learning tons.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
04-07-2011, 01:32 AM
I've never drawn top-down mushrooms either...snagged for future reference. :)

tilt
04-09-2011, 09:45 AM
looks even more fantastic now... great job :)

Wannabehero
04-15-2011, 12:52 AM
Thanks a bunch Tilt!

Final Update:

I kinda forgot to work any more on this, seeing mainly as I thought the challenge ended on the 10th! I wanted to add a small stream and little waterfall in, but my early experiments revealed I definitely need more practice. So I just darkened up the mushroom shadows and tweaked the pillar outer shading, and I think I will call this piece done.

### Latest WIP ###

Aegeri
04-15-2011, 02:26 AM
Absolutely wow. I love that map.