PDA

View Full Version : Silverstaff Redux

Piscivorous
03-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Finally have decided how I am going to go about building my campaign world. It'll be a hodge-podge of different styles and tutorials from CG with some ideas of my own. I'll be working in Photoshop CS4, Fractal Mapper 8 and, most likely, GIMP. The oceans and land masses have been done in Fractal Mapper 8. This image shows the entire campaign area:

There will be 60 sections to do in detail. This will be a long work in progress!

Fractal Mapper is the base. This will be where I figure out mountain ranges, long rivers, the main lakes [other than the inland sea] and large tracts of forested land so I can draw a rough sketch on the overall map, so when I split each section off I can get a contiguous/continuous flow to my work.
Photoshop CS 4 will be where I work on the terrain in detail. I will be borrowing ideas from Zaramis' Relatively Realistic Mountains (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?4870-RRM-Relatively-Realistic-Mountains-using-Photoshop) and Pasis' Rising up the mountains in Photoshop (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?4405-Award-Winner-Rising-up-the-mountains-in-Photoshop/page10) tutorials.
Once each section's terrain is done, it will be uploaded back into Fractal Mapper 8 for finishing touches: Cities, towns, keeps, political boundaries, text, etc.

That is the plan. I'm sure I'll get sidetracked trying to figure out problems I cannot even imagine at this stage. But that's the fun right?

Finally, I won't post the individual sections in this post. They will have their own WIP/Map post with their own map, labeled "Name [Silverstaff]". I will link each to this thread however. Feel free to drop C&Cs on me.

jtougas
03-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Thats a very ambitious project. I look forward to watching it develop :)

Piscivorous
11-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Have 8 of 60 sections done at least in roughdraft. The great thing about this project is that I can really get in to do some detail work. The first file is the overall map with the second file showing the eight map section I have finished zoomed in a bit.

As always, I'll take advice and comments.