PDA

View Full Version : 1PDC 2011 Entry

Djekspek
03-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Heya, almost forgot to enter, but pulled an all-nighter to get something done :D cheers! DJ

Steel General
03-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Very nice Djekspek...but I expected no less from you :)

ravells
03-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Just beautiful!!!! Lovely work as always, DJ. I just love seeing your stuff.

Ramah
03-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Beautiful work again, DJ. :)

ravells
03-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Tee hee....forgot to mention the funnies really made me laugh!

Ascension
03-30-2011, 08:02 PM
In Lost City you're missing the word "to". Otherwise, sweet, man.

Sapiento
03-31-2011, 03:14 AM
Looks great!

Djekspek
03-31-2011, 10:19 AM
thanks guys, glad you like the funnies Ravs (those can be corny, but I hope they turned out well). And also thanks for noting the typos Ascension (typos are really the bane of my mapmaking, not sure I can still send in an update ). Well, now just hoping I can grabble a bit in this big bag of goodies for prizes if the judges like it. Anyway, good luck to all entrants as well of course! cheers! DJ

Map Vandal
03-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Your maps always inspire me to start a new project. Absolutely beautiful once again.

Wannabehero
03-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Gorgeous, just gorgeous. I love Isometric maps, and this one is so excellent. Goodluck to you and all the other entrants in the contest!

RecklessEnthusiasm
03-31-2011, 03:39 PM
An obvious winner! I love your ISO style, djekspek!

tilt
03-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Great map djespek as usual... love all the little details and notes .. and please let it be a gold mine ;)

Jaxilon
03-31-2011, 07:22 PM
Oh please let it be a Gold mine!! Awesome!

TheRedEpic
04-02-2011, 04:05 AM
Bella Bella, I LOVE this style and type of map:) Bravo!

RjBeals
04-27-2011, 11:52 AM
everything looks so clear and vivid. I would love to see your psd. Do you use black outer glow set to overlay? to make it pop ya know?

Do you have a separate black outline layer that is basically your sketch? If so, do you duplicate that layer to make the outlines bolder and sharper? If not, do you just use 1 layer like many artists?

As others said, your work is truly inspiring.

Djekspek
04-28-2011, 06:24 AM
thanks! @RJ: not much special in layers here. Going from top to bottom, the layers are:

- 1 saturation and 1 brightness adjustment layer
- some texture layer in overlay to give some atmosphere
- lines (when all lines are done, I draw an extra fat outline line to indicate depth, same as the optrion in sketch-up, but then handdrawn). For lines I use a square brush.
- grid in overlay with a clipping mask to show only on floors
- clipped on mask (below) hi-lite and shade layer set to overlay with black and white to accentuate and add extra shade for depth. This gives the real depth feel in combination with the line-work
- clipped on mask (below) the mask I have a value layer with grey-scale values
- mask of complete dungeon with an outer dark glow
- background parchment

cheers, DJ

RjBeals
04-28-2011, 04:19 PM
how come my maps have like 200 layers.

Thanks DJ. That fat outline is awesome. I didn't notice until you mentioned it, but it does add a bit of depth. you draw everything with square brush? or just that outline?

one last thing, how big and what res did you create the original? I know I've asked you that before, but I really love your style!

Djekspek
04-28-2011, 09:17 PM
hehe, I had some more layers on this one but i skipped the fonts, borders, etc. in my list. My atlas-style maps have many more layers as well. As for my brush, I used to draw with rounded brush, but switched to square. Basically all linework I do with a square brush now (usually 3-6pt at 100% opcity/flow with pressure set to size). For values I use a rounded brush (and sometime the color mixer brush from CS5) at different values and opacity. For document size, I usually just make it the size I want it (like letter or A4) at 300dpi. But sometimes I create the map at 2-3x the "final-size", if I want to have some more control over details... cheers, DJ