PDA

View Full Version : Single Continent Map

Samp
03-30-2011, 07:51 AM
I do not post here a lot, but have been reading quite a bit, so I've decided to move from pencil and paper to digital format for once, and here's what I came up with so far with Paint.net. (I'm only working on that one continent, so I haven't refined and outlined the others. They are just random lumps of colours at the moment) I don't really know how I can go on working on this, so you can say I'm stuck here :| The water doesn't look much satisfactory to me, and I'm having some problems with placing the text in better locations. Help, anyone? :?

*EDIT*
Yes, I know the rivers are off D= I'll draw the lines in once I can get the mountains looking more realistic.

Here's a prtscreen of it.
Ps. Pardon me if this is in the wrong section.

Sergei Zybin
03-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Samp, your map have GREAT potential! Colors are nice, mountains cool and coastline in just perfect in case of real geography. So all you problems can be solved I think. Its better to wait advice from some real masters, who dwell here... But here my humble suggestions in graphic form. About sea and place names.

jtougas
03-30-2011, 02:22 PM
The landmasses look great. I would stroke the other islands as well for a more unified look. I also agree with Sergei on the placement of labels. A change in ocean texture would really finish this off nicely. All in all great work :)

Ascension
03-30-2011, 03:13 PM
My suggestion, for now, would be to make the ocean lighter but take the current color and use that as the stroke instead of the black - gives it more of an atlas look. If you were going for satellite-style then I'd just darken everything and remove the stroke. As Sergei said, lots of potential...you already have a good grasp on what you want and a real good idea of how to do it. Everything from this point on is just style issues since this seems perfectly fine to me. Nice job, man.

Samp
03-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Hmm, thanks for the replies. I shall get down to work once I find the time!