PDA

View Full Version : Bailiwan in color

robb75067
03-31-2011, 11:52 PM
This is my first attempt at a color map so many thanks to all of those who posted the tutorials on this site. I would appreciate all of the criticism I can get!

Ryan K
04-01-2011, 12:59 AM
Love a big map :) Looks fantastic

Sapiento
04-01-2011, 03:35 AM
Looks fantastic!

Tigon
04-01-2011, 04:37 AM
For a first it's bloody amazing! Great work.

Ascension
04-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Good job, man. The presentation looks great.

robb75067
04-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks all. Any thoughts on how to improve it?

jtougas
04-01-2011, 06:06 PM
I'd leave it alone and call it Great!! :)

Jaxilon
04-01-2011, 06:12 PM
This is just excellent. Even more so as a first map. I really like it.

Ascension
04-02-2011, 12:07 AM
If I were to suggest anything: first I'd taper the rivers instead of them being the same width all the way to the end. Minor thing, happens all the time. Second, might throw in some other colors like rust, orange, dark brown - everything's green, light green, or tan. But those colors have to be tied to the terrain and since the terrain isn't all that defined then it's hard to place the colors correctly. This is also a minor thing and, for this style, probably useless so you can ignore it :) Third, the mountains are all the same - they look more like dunes or hills so I'd definitely get some more definition into the mountains. This is the only thing that I think that needs attention. So you can throw out the first and second things, if you want, as they are more pointers than anything but the mountains need a bit o work to bring them out more. All in all, as I said earlier, it looks really nice and easy on the eyes.

robb75067
04-02-2011, 01:00 PM
If I were to suggest anything: first I'd taper the rivers instead of them being the same width all the way to the end. Minor thing, happens all the time. Second, might throw in some other colors like rust, orange, dark brown - everything's green, light green, or tan. But those colors have to be tied to the terrain and since the terrain isn't all that defined then it's hard to place the colors correctly. This is also a minor thing and, for this style, probably useless so you can ignore it :) Third, the mountains are all the same - they look more like dunes or hills so I'd definitely get some more definition into the mountains. This is the only thing that I think that needs attention. So you can throw out the first and second things, if you want, as they are more pointers than anything but the mountains need a bit o work to bring them out more. All in all, as I said earlier, it looks really nice and easy on the eyes.

Thanks, I'll see what I can do.

robb75067
04-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Ascension- Thanks for the advice

This adds Mountain Texture and a little rust color here and there with some noise. It makes a ton of difference.

robb75067
04-03-2011, 10:30 AM
I've added some heraldry, shading on the shields, and Banners for the bad guys.
*The shading on the shields didn't show up on the low rez jpg

Ramah
04-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Lovely map, Robb. :)

I epsecially like how you've subtley.... hmm... subtly?... subtely? (I'm sure RD will be here soon to put me straight with that, hehe)... coloured the city and town markers to suit the heraldic regions. Very nice.

robb75067
04-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Lovely map, Robb. :)

I epsecially like how you've subtley.... hmm... subtly?... subtely? (I'm sure RD will be here soon to put me straight with that, hehe)... coloured the city and town markers to suit the heraldic regions. Very nice.

Thanks Ramah. BTW - your maps are awsome.

robb75067
04-07-2011, 07:20 AM
I've added a lot of heraldry to the bottom mainly becasue my two little boys (4 and 6) loved making shields with daddy. They sat with me and helped pick colors and symbols and let me know where they wanted stuff. This was a lot of fun for all of us and it even gave my wife a break to watch her trash TV. I think this map is done unless anyone has some more advice for me. Thanks again to Ascension for the mountians critique.

Tigon
04-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Cracking shields there Robb, used to be something of a hobby of mine. One point about the labelling though, and it might be just me, but the distance to the drop shadows makes it feel that the names sit very high. I'd be interested to see how it looks with the distance-to and size-of the shadows reduced. Very minor though.

Shields 1.9 and 2.5-2.8 are my favourites BTW. I'll have to see if my own 6-year-old can draw his attention away from his PSP/Sky Sports and come up with some suggestions for my own nascent game map.

cfds
04-08-2011, 03:31 AM
I like nearly all the shields, only 1.5 makes me cringe. Charges should not overlap, even if this world has other heraldic rules it just looks off.

robb75067
04-08-2011, 07:22 PM

Thanks Tigon - I played withthe shadows and ended up back where I started. I just like the look of some the lettering hovering above.

cfds - Thanks for hte heraldry catch. I tried playing by the rules that I new so I appreciate the catch. I did replace the shield as well. This was the only change from v5 to v6

I'll leave this up for a few more days incase any other the other guildies catch anything. I appreciate everyone who has looked and/or responded. this is a great community.