PDA

View Full Version : My first regional map

Sel93
04-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Hey!

Heres another map, this time its a regional one. Its just the outline yet. Im not sure about the coloring though, is there too much color in it? And what else could I improve?

Quabbe
04-03-2011, 12:46 PM
The water looks really nice! The yellow is very strong, I would lower down the saturation a bit.

Ascension
04-03-2011, 12:57 PM
I like the yellow/blue contrast. If you change one you might have to change the other. Essentially it's a matter of choice and you'll get folks who say change both, change one, and me who says leave it alone.

bartmoss
04-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah I like this too, nice and crisp.

Sel93
04-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Ok thanks so far. I tried to make it a bit less yellow, but only a small bit. And some other things like rivers, mountains, and trees. What do you and what don't you like?

Sel93
04-04-2011, 02:04 PM
New forest, some labels, some minor changes ...

Ryan K
04-04-2011, 05:24 PM
It's looking fantastic, Sel :) My only suggestion would be to address the disparity between the crisp, hardness of the trees in contrast to the more softer mountains.

Sel93
04-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks, youre right thats a problem ... any ideas how to make the trees look softer?

Ascension
04-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Hit the tree outlines with a blur, something small at first and repeat a few times if you want more.

Sel93
04-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Work in progress, I played around a bit. What do and dont you like?

I have to think on how to implement forests well. I hided them for now because they don't really "fit" to the map.

Ryan K
04-13-2011, 07:55 PM
The filter you've used is beautifully applied.

cfds
04-15-2011, 02:52 AM
I have one little nitpick: On German maps leading articles are usually omitted ("Weites Flachland" instead of "Das weite Flachland").

Sapiento
04-15-2011, 08:15 AM
I have one little nitpick: On German maps leading articles are usually omitted ("Weites Flachland" instead of "Das weite Flachland").

Usually, yes. But if the place has a special meaning the article could be used to emphasize this. Other labels on the map don't use an article.

Tomus
04-15-2011, 03:50 PM
great map I really like :)

Sel93
05-26-2011, 10:34 AM
I didnt work on the map that much in the last weeks because I concentrated on other aspects on the world. Now I've come back to it and I tried to change the style of the map, because I wasnt 100% satisfied with what it looked like. I wanted the land mass to look more like parchment or something like that.

This is what I came up with after playing around a bit. Whats your opinion? What do and don't you like?

Furthermore, Im not really satisfied with the cities. Somehow it doesnt look professional. I need a way to create cities that fit to the style of the map more. What ideas do you have?

Lastly, I searched for a way to implement forests but nothing was really satisfying. Im still not sure if I should implement forests at all...

And for the river in the downer left ... I saw the mistake, I already edited it. :blush:

keithrgordon
05-26-2011, 12:37 PM
The parchment look is cool, but perhaps it gives too "dry" a feeling to whole world? Especially without trees, the vibe is one of a desert/arid world. Also, the parchment doesn't seem to extend into the water, which may or may not be the look your going for!

As for the cities, I think they look fine, but they look a little bit crisp and perfect for a hand-drawn map... maybe more of a pen-stroke symbol for the cities would blend better with the motif?

[edit: saw that you correct the river in the corner! :) ]

But aside from those little points, the map is looking really great :)

Ascension
05-26-2011, 04:28 PM
For cities, you have the quasi-3d dot similar to what Google uses. Try something very simple - a big brown square in the color of the mountains. A circle works as well, or a Maltese Cross, something like that...a simple geometric shape. I would reduce the texture in the ocean to make it more subtle but the color is good. The parchment color is good but maybe just a tad over-textured...a slight reduction there maybe. The compass doesn't fit the rest of it but you can change that later. Nonetheless, looks pretty good.

Troedel
05-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Perhaps the labels could be integrated with some kind of bleeding ( ink into parchment ) or a very slight shadow. Thy are a bit "plain" for my taste. But it is taste after all. Gute Karte.

Sel93
05-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Thank you for your replies.
Do you like this style more? It looks less "dirty" and not less like parchment than the other one.

I made some very simple city points also. Is this okay or is it too simple? (I would of course vary in form, e.g. stars for capitals, squares for big cities, circles for small ones and so on...)

Ascension
05-27-2011, 04:25 PM
This version looks good but I think that the texturing here is more prominent on land than the last one and overall still too heavy, just my opinion, if you dig it then keep it.

keithrgordon
05-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Definite improvement. Perhaps more of a bleed on the labels, though? They look computer-generated instead of hand-written. But the mountains look great! Are they hand-drawn?

Sel93
06-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the two replies Ascension and keithrgordon. I tried to improve your points.
@keith: Im not the one to honor for the mountains, these are photoshop brushes from Ramah and vhailor27. You can find them here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?7573-Mountain-brushes-from-Ramah-s-Aronbor-map).

New version with less texture on the ground and smaller city marks. Also I changed the font of the cities. Just to see if it looks better and less computer-generated.

edit: I just tried to make it look a bit darker and I think I like it better than the light version. What do you say?

Ascension
06-02-2011, 04:16 PM
I like the darker one, more dynamic.

Sel93
06-03-2011, 02:29 PM
I think the map is now close to what it should look like in the end.

arsheesh
06-03-2011, 07:51 PM
And it looks very nice indeed! Great job on this one.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Sel93
07-14-2011, 03:40 PM
What I did now was playing around a bit. I liked my map so far, but I had the problem that I couldn't find a way to implement forest. I tried in this one. I need to know if it fits to the style, if the size of the icons is too big or too small, if there is too much forest, and other suggestions.

Especially focused on north and east for now. There are some things in the wrong position since its very WIP now and I played around a bit.

Thanks in advance.

Ascension
07-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Looks like they fit pretty well to me. I think I see a slight green color to them, might want to bump that up a little more but not too much.

cantab
07-14-2011, 04:29 PM
This is really great, both stylistically and topographically. The bends in the southernmost river, however, do look a little odd.

nolgroth
07-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Very nice map. I likes it.

Sel93
07-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Not that much change on style today, I just added some things and tweaked it a bit. I like the new style and I think I will keep it for that map, although everything is a bit "tight" together, but thats just because the map is generally not that big, because I didn't use the southern space at all.
In regard to this, I still have to find a way to cut it out a bit. Id like to reduce it to this:

http://s7.directupload.net/images/110715/temp/u5yc7mku.png (http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/2586/u5yc7mku_png.htm)

How can I achieve this without uniting all layers?

Aenigma
07-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Nice map. Well done! The names on the map are especially good, because we can read them (good font) and they don't sound like boring gibberisch.

Ascension
07-15-2011, 07:50 PM
If you're in Photoshop, grab the Rectangular Marquee tool. In the top left corner click and hold then drag to the bottom right and let go of the button when you get to the place you want. It doesn't matter what layer you are on at this point (not really). While the selection is still active, click on Image - Crop, then deselect (ctrl-d). This crops the whole image to the selection. If you want more precise control, then drag out some guides before using the rectangular marquee tool (that's what I do). Normally this process works on the layer that you are on, deleting everything outside of the selection...which is good. So if you had a lot of layers then you would have to do this on every layer. However, if you flatten the image then you only have to do it once.