PDA

View Full Version : Writers?

magicalbookworm
04-04-2011, 08:01 PM
I started making maps to go along with the novels I write. I was wondering if anyone here is also working on some novels.

Ryan K
04-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Guilty as charged.

Not putting pen to paper until I got maps, excel spreadsheets, terminologies, plot arcs, sub-plots and all that other gumption worked out. I want to have enough to fill five trilogies. I don't do small. Totally setting myself up for dissapointment, but what is life without lofty goals?

eViLe_eAgLe
04-04-2011, 08:39 PM
I plan on making lore and a long huge backround surrounding the world im making maybe 90 pages of lore and backround or something told through a story teller.

jtougas
04-04-2011, 08:49 PM
My Kingdom of Shendenflar is a long running project of mine. It started as a a campaign setting (and still is) that sort of grew a life of it's own in my head. There was so much stuff going on I HAD to write some of it down so that I could sleep. :)

magicalbookworm
04-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I love world building, but the more novels I write and more worlds I end up creating. I find I only use a forth of what I end up making. I have a 6 book series that i've been working on here and there. I did so much world building for this set of novels and I've barely touched most of it. The maps were the most important thing I needed.

There was a cool comment on io9 about GRR Martin and that he only builds what he needs in his world. I like that idea.

magicalbookworm
04-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Guilty as charged.

Not putting pen to paper until I got maps, excel spreadsheets, terminologies, plot arcs, sub-plots and all that other gumption worked out. I want to have enough to fill five trilogies. I don't do small. Totally setting myself up for dissapointment, but what is life without lofty goals?

Wow, five trilogies. Good luck. Have you started on any of this yet?

Ryan K
04-04-2011, 09:58 PM
I have made a few attempts, but each time I keep finding other stories I want to tell which predate it, so any works done thus far have been archived for future reference.

The long and short of it is a boy who joins a Roman Legion-esque style army called the Emissars to help support his family going through some difficult times, and the several trilogies follow him throughout his life as he takes on various roles and their challenges. He becomes an Emissar, then a marauder (which is sort of like a forward-scout), then leaves combat to become an administrative assistant for a provincial governor, then a mercenary, then works as a master-of-arms for the capital city's reformed constabulary, then gets involved with an underground movement. All on the backdrop of this particular country's civil strife and the growing threat of (and eventual war with) a large western aggressor. After all that, I might have a sixth-saga in me which involves a natural catastrophe that reshapes the world forever.

I am trying to make it a very individual experience, basically a guy who is just trying to help his family survive as best he can while dealing with his immediate problems. Just an ordinary guy who finds himself in some situations which demand extraordinary measures, whether good or bad. There is no magic in my world (beyond perceptions of it), but there are elves, dwarves and other bits and bobs.

tilt
04-05-2011, 01:15 AM
I've just started on a novel of my own, and am also working on a collaborative writing project with some good friends :)

Ryan K
04-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Collaboration can be awesome :)

magicalbookworm
04-05-2011, 01:48 AM
wow, Ryan sounds like a great idea! Don't get caught up in the build of the world or the novel. Get the first series outlined and go for it. It's always easier to edit something to your liking after you get the words down. (Though I shouldn't be the one to mention editing, I have a dozen novels that need editing and i'm horrible at it.) Do you belong to any writing groups? I would have never finished my first novel if i hadn't found fmwriters.com and the people that popluate the chat room there.

My large 6 book series is based around five friends who are all heading into a differnet part of their live, each taking a differnet path, some staying in the city they were born in and some leaving to find what their world has to offer. (i really need a better blurb!) I have books 1 - 4 written. Five and six are outlined. Only a few chapters of book 1 are edited.

I've taken a break from that set of books to work on another fantasy novel. Hopefully the break won't do me harm when i head back to the large serise.

magicalbookworm
04-05-2011, 01:50 AM
I've just started on a novel of my own, and am also working on a collaborative writing project with some good friends :)

I've been working on a novel round robin with some friends and it's been so much fun. Other then that project all my other collaborative efforts have fallen flat. Good luck with your own!

tilt
04-05-2011, 02:27 AM
@magicbookworm - hmmm... I'll check that site out, sounds interesting. I also have a bunch of podcasts called "writing excuses" by Brandon Sanderson and... others ;)

I think one of the problems you face by writing with others is finding a common style, but that is negligable in regards to having several minds working on the plot and more hands/heads to write stuff. We of course face the extra problem of not being native english, so we need more editing in the end :)

Sergei Zybin
04-05-2011, 02:49 AM
Well, Im started map making to support my DnD settings (DM duty). So this is rather relative to writing.

Yandor
04-05-2011, 02:55 AM
podcasts called "writing excuses" by Brandon Sanderson

I love his books, and just to think he lives what 10 minutes from my house, sad part is I still haven't gone to a book signing...

Ryan K
04-05-2011, 03:44 AM
wow, Ryan sounds like a great idea! Don't get caught up in the build of the world or the novel. Get the first series outlined and go for it. It's always easier to edit something to your liking after you get the words down. (Though I shouldn't be the one to mention editing, I have a dozen novels that need editing and i'm horrible at it.)

I'm actually finding the worldbuilding immensely fulfilling, especially in terms of getting down to character bios and things like that. It stops me before leaping in to ask questions about how the streets smell, what does the cooper down the road look like (or his daughters for that matter), who lives with, near and around the protagonist, who are his friends and what do they do... yes, in terms of writing the story, the world-building is certainly getting in the way of that. But some of the best ideas and aspects for the stories are popping up while I am moving mountains in Fractal Terrains, or conditional formatting in Excel.

For instance, when I stopped and asked myself "what are their units of measurement?" I began researching the 'Roman Mile', and after doing up some nifty distance calculation/conversion formulas in Excel, I found out that an Emissar is expected to be able to march xx amount of miles in a day, and this distance predetermined the definition of a 'league' by their reckoning. Yes, details, details, who cares for such details? Me, and I am finding it immensely fulfilling.

Do you belong to any writing groups? I would have never finished my first novel if i hadn't found fmwriters.com and the people that popluate the chat room there.

Ehh.. way back when myspace was more popular than Facebook, I joined a writer's group there, and it was dominated by a few unhelpful condescending 'authors' and a slightly larger body of pandering nit-pickers. It has largely deterred me from those sort of faceless interfaces. I prefer friends and family who have given the brief on 'what happens in the study stays in the study'. I have also swapped notes with a few honest co-writers, who aren't afraid to call a spade a spade, and continue to do so when I am actually committing finger to keyboard.

My large 6 book series is based around five friends who are all heading into a differnet part of their live, each taking a differnet path, some staying in the city they were born in and some leaving to find what their world has to offer. (i really need a better blurb!) I have books 1 - 4 written. Five and six are outlined. Only a few chapters of book 1 are edited.

That's a good blurb. I have a strong fascination with fantasy stories where the protagonist isn't always an adventurer, but a common man (or woman) with real problems. Give me a potter trying to survive the local criminal elements beating protection money out of people any day over the adventures of the brave, young farm boy seeking adventures on the back of dragons or on the belly of elvish women. I think that is where the drama is. I think your story sounds like it will pay it's due to the common folk.

I've taken a break from that set of books to work on another fantasy novel. Hopefully the break won't do me harm when i head back to the large serise.

It might just be what you need. A bit of fresh air in another world can keen your mind when you return to the old one.

Ryan K
04-05-2011, 03:52 AM
I think one of the problems you face by writing with others is finding a common style, but that is negligable in regards to having several minds working on the plot and more hands/heads to write stuff.

I am pretty impossible to get along with in collaborations. I was collaborating with two friends from America, and they were fabulous to get along with, but when I get an idea in my head I can be pretty argumentative. I backed away for their sake, and with no hard feelings from anyone, but again this is a classic example of different methodologies and different styles. They wanted a simple Lord of the Rings sort of fantasy, where I was looking for something a little more HBO-ish. That, and I hate magic actually existing, and the theory that elves came from monkeys too. I could only use mythology as someone in the story's view on how the world and the peoples came into being, not as how it actually happened.

Eh, sorry for the rants. I'm just glad to be back on the wagon again.

magicalbookworm
04-05-2011, 04:45 AM
I love his books, and just to think he lives what 10 minutes from my house, sad part is I still haven't gone to a book signing...

Your in utah too huh? I missed meeting him at a local writing club last year.

magicalbookworm
04-05-2011, 04:49 AM
Ehh.. way back when myspace was more popular than Facebook, I joined a writer's group there, and it was dominated by a few unhelpful condescending 'authors' and a slightly larger body of pandering nit-pickers. It has largely deterred me from those sort of faceless interfaces. I prefer friends and family who have given the brief on 'what happens in the study stays in the study'. I have also swapped notes with a few honest co-writers, who aren't afraid to call a spade a spade, and continue to do so when I am actually committing finger to keyboard.

oh i've joined groups like that left and right. ugh annoying. all they do is talk about writing but never do nothing. that's what i've stuck with fmwriters.com over the years. They write. they talk about writing. you can go into the chat room and ask a writing question and a dozen people can give you an answer.

That's a good blurb. I have a strong fascination with fantasy stories where the protagonist isn't always an adventurer, but a common man (or woman) with real problems. Give me a potter trying to survive the local criminal elements beating protection money out of people any day over the adventures of the brave, young farm boy seeking adventures on the back of dragons or on the belly of elvish women. I think that is where the drama is. I think your story sounds like it will pay it's due to the common folk.

I really didn't want the characters for the series to be a prince or a farmer that had a great destiny waiting for them. yes the characters get a bit of luck with what happens in their life, but they aren't going to suddenly find out there a king! ;)

It might just be what you need. A bit of fresh air in another world can keen your mind when you return to the old one.

It's been nice playing in another world. Though i had to stop and start on a city. i had no idea where any of the characters were going!

Vandy
04-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi, All.

Quite some time ago, I created a map for use in SimCity 4 named Carthage - Region of the Stones (http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/17415-nhp-presents-carthage-region-of-the-stones/).

For some time, I've been writing a "back story" that I intended to use to create a City Journal on Simtropolis. Well, that never happened. So...

I decided to turn it into a short story and use graphics from the map as part of the story.

If interested, I'd be glad to tell you more.

Regards,

Vadny

Diamond
04-05-2011, 12:00 PM
...or on the belly of elvish women.

Hey, I'd read that.

:D

Yandor
04-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Your in utah too huh? I missed meeting him at a local writing club last year.

haha yeah, you'd be surprised on how many of us are here =D

magicalbookworm
04-09-2011, 01:56 AM
haha yeah, you'd be surprised on how many of us are here =D

Very cool!

LS-Jebus
04-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Over the last decade I have written a lot, but the only stories I have ever completed were short stories that aren't related to fantasy/sci-fi worlds. I only started with serious world building and detailed maps over the last two years, and my efforts have been delayed and forgotton due to college.

Well, college is over, and I am going to start a regular working life. So maybe, for the first time, I will get somewhere. I have narrowed down my possibilities to three worlds, and only one keeps coming back to me. I might start with serious writing to accompany my serious world building for the first time. Though I am still stuck with my lack of confidence in my ability to write something more than several pages long.

But I suppose a novel is only a series of short stories in the same setting, ordered chronologically and tied together with a common plot element. If I treat different chapters with the same characters as sequels, I might just get somewhere. Slowly... but somewhere is better than nowhere.

Becoming an author and musician are two life goals of mine... I never expect to live off of it, but simply having people enjoy something I create is a good feeling.

Malken
04-18-2011, 08:31 AM
I've been developing the setting for my novels for about 7 years, on and off, while working full time and juggling a bunch of other RL responsabilities. About two years ago, my computer crapped out on me, leaving no salvageable data behind and pretty much bringing me back to square one (you know how it is, you always intend to make backups but never get around to it, and the few boxes of hardcopies I had were sadly outdated). I finally got back in the game about 3 months ago, after a yearlong string of personal tragedies that kept me away from the keyboard, and I'm loving every second of it!

I can definitely relate to you Ryan K, because I can't think small either!:lol: Whenever I work on one series, I always end up getting ideas for other series that I need to write down immediately so I can flesh them out later. I've come up with 5 or 6 sister series since I started over from scratch, all set in the same world, but with their own individual styles and locations.

Thanks for the tip about fmwriters.com magicalbookworm! I'd never heard of that site before and from what I've seen so far, it looks very interesting! :)

Malken
04-18-2011, 08:40 AM
My large 6 book series is based around five friends who are all heading into a differnet part of their live, each taking a differnet path, some staying in the city they were born in and some leaving to find what their world has to offer.

I love that idea! I actually had something slightly similar in mind for one of my series, but no worries, it's only the fourth one on my list of possible series, so you're extremely likely to get yours published a good five years ahead of me...at the least! ;)

Ryan K
04-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks Malken :)

My reasoning for the scale is that I have been working on the protagonist for so long, I felt the need to write about who he is, where he came from and the people who shaped him to be who he is, and of course, what path his life takes and the repercussions of his choices; all on the back-drop of his country going through tough times. When I tried to break it down into neat plot arcs, I came up with 5 trilogies :S As I think I said before, it's a good project to keep me out of my partner's hair :)

I get what you mean with losing data. Whenever that happens to me, I feel like I could die.

magicalbookworm
04-18-2011, 09:34 PM
I love that idea! I actually had something slightly similar in mind for one of my series, but no worries, it's only the fourth one on my list of possible series, so you're extremely likely to get yours published a good five years ahead of me...at the least! ;)
lol with the way i edit - you'd never know. Even with four of the six wrote it could take me for ever to edit those four :\ ugh. Really should just do nothing but edit.
I'm glad you've found fmwriters.com It's a wonderful site :D

Kiarelle Alaisdair
04-23-2011, 04:02 PM
I love writing :) And world building. I do both pretty often; what prompted me to join this site was actually working on some maps for a source book I'm making for the world of my novels. The main focus for writing right now is mostly on a trilogy (that started out as one book and just..exploded) titled The Sacred and examining five main characters through curses, leading a rebellion to regain the throne of the Holy Land and sorts of other things. Its been very fun. After I wrote the majority of the rough for the first of the series --80k -- I decided I wanted to get the world fleshed out more to enrich it. So I started doing that, and working here and there on the second one which is about 45k right now. So I edit the first, write on the second, world build, research, ponder. A good world takes so many things! Some I would have never thought about before.

Murcu
04-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Well. I just recently started pointing something down on paper that had been in my head for about 4 years. I decided to start with an outline that would give a brief history of the things involved. Well, ten thousand words later (and 25 footnotes demanding further explanation) I managed to start an outline for the plot of the actual story. I just finished act 1 not too long ago, so I think I'll begin the actual writing phase.

magicalbookworm
04-25-2011, 01:27 AM
I love writing :) And world building. I do both pretty often; what prompted me to join this site was actually working on some maps for a source book I'm making for the world of my novels. The main focus for writing right now is mostly on a trilogy (that started out as one book and just..exploded) titled The Sacred and examining five main characters through curses, leading a rebellion to regain the throne of the Holy Land and sorts of other things. Its been very fun. After I wrote the majority of the rough for the first of the series --80k -- I decided I wanted to get the world fleshed out more to enrich it. So I started doing that, and working here and there on the second one which is about 45k right now. So I edit the first, write on the second, world build, research, ponder. A good world takes so many things! Some I would have never thought about before.
Good luck on the editing and working on the second. It is hard to decide what you'll use when worldbuilding and what you don't end up using!

magicalbookworm
04-25-2011, 01:30 AM
Well. I just recently started pointing something down on paper that had been in my head for about 4 years. I decided to start with an outline that would give a brief history of the things involved. Well, ten thousand words later (and 25 footnotes demanding further explanation) I managed to start an outline for the plot of the actual story. I just finished act 1 not too long ago, so I think I'll begin the actual writing phase.

Outlines are wonderful! I hit 53 pages with my outline for the six book series. (give or take a few pages as things change a bit.) My other six book serise outlines hit around 45 pages.

Good luck with the writing! If you ever need any help drop by fmwriters.com and it's chat room. :D

Murcu
04-25-2011, 10:07 PM
hehe way ahead of you. i actually went to register and saw that my very rare username was already taken. so i thought to try my password. turns out id registers some time in the distant past and forgotten about it. lol

Seraphine_Harmonium
04-26-2011, 07:54 PM
I am new to the guild, and I am more of a writer than a mapper, but I tend to stick to the short form. I just always find that I want to get to the point in the stories I write.

Ascension
04-27-2011, 01:35 AM
I'm a get to the point guy myself....like some dude gets slapped so he cuts the other dude's hand off. Good story, I like it. :) Heh heh. Just needs some embellishments and plot twists. This is why I'm not a writer.

Bryden88
04-27-2011, 04:38 PM
New here. Definitely a writer, and a bad mapper, but still learning!

magicalbookworm
04-28-2011, 03:03 AM
hehe way ahead of you. i actually went to register and saw that my very rare username was already taken. so i thought to try my password. turns out id registers some time in the distant past and forgotten about it. lol

one thing about having a rare username. you know when you sign up somewhere! Hope you check out the site some now.

Seraphine_Harmonium
04-29-2011, 01:00 AM
I'm a get to the point guy myself....like some dude gets slapped so he cuts the other dude's hand off. Good story, I like it. :) Heh heh. Just needs some embellishments and plot twists. This is why I'm not a writer.
Yeah, I'm not QUITE that . . . minimalist. I do try to describe things, try to use the language to evoke the sense I am going for. Delve into the thoughts of the character, maybe have a flashback to a pertinent event, etc. I am not good at expanding my work in breadth and depth in the manner necessary to make a novel. Hence being a short-story writer. I do very much enjoy writing up evocative little blurbs for locations, people, and themes in my settings, though.

Dygash
05-12-2011, 03:28 PM
I've been developing a conworld project on and off for the past 6 years, which i'm finally finding the time to commit too and loving it. I'm also finishing off a draft of a steampunk adventure short story about a British diplomat flying a steam powered zepper from China to India that'd I think might have use of a map as well.

jbgibson
05-13-2011, 12:07 AM
I do some storytelling. Sometimes with words, sometimes with maps :-).

Apparently the trick with channeling prolific worldbuilding into writing is to not try to use all you construct. While the length and definition of your world's distance measure may matter to a story, and can be part of many plot-necessary things, it doesn't have to be detailed to the reader. Too much of that, and the writing becomes encyclopadiac instead of tightly plotted. Nothing wrong with creating the encyclopedia yourself, so you know where your characters have to go to get across the countryside, how they dress for the occasion, and just what the spy from A noticed in the courtesan from B's demeanor that made him suspect she had been born in C and her loyalties really lay with D. Now, if you're clever, you could create that chain of logic backwards, from desired result back to plausible causes, with intriguing twists along the way. But you could also let it arise going forward, letting your plot twist according to the details of your constructed world. <shrug> ... whichever floats your boat.

For me, much of the story comes straight from the geography.