PDA

View Full Version : The Etrakien world revisited

Clercon
04-05-2011, 08:44 AM
So I decided to revisit the Etrakien world. You may wonder why, I mean the first map won me a cartographerís choice award and I am still very pleased with the map itself. But after having written and build up some more flesh around my skeleton of a world I realized that things didnít work out as I wanted in the old map. So Iíve decided to do some changes. Some changes that will make the history of the world, and the future stories, to make more sense. I probably could have made it work in the old map as well, but what is the fun in thatÖno new reason for a map :-)

Iíve decided to do the map in a completely new style to me, a style that will be a bit quicker to work with then the last one. I also want a bit darker look and feel of the map. The map is 25000 km from east to west.

I hope you like it and I any suggestions or criticism are welcome.

If you are interested you can read some more about my world on my blog (http://etrakien.blogspot.com/) , itís in swedish though.

Ascension
04-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Has a nice feel to it. Indeed, something that can be done fast but still look nice.

Clercon
04-10-2011, 06:27 PM
I've added some details to the map. Filled in the mountains, added some desert and given the forests a bit more shape. I hope you like it.
And thanks for the comment Ascension.

Nathan
04-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Looks nice.

But what about the linear borders in the north ?

Clercon
04-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the comment Rigil.

The whole map will be surrounded by a hopefully nice border, that will be just on top of the linear border in the north. But it's not done yet :-)

Clercon
04-13-2011, 07:14 PM
I tried to add a border to the map tonight. Some names are added as well. So does the border fit the map? How about the font? What do you think?

Clercon
04-16-2011, 05:13 AM
Another update. I've added in countries and some details. A compass in the upper right corner (I might change this one don't know if it fits, suggestions?) and a scalebar in the lower left. The scale doesn't give you any miles or km (the map is about 2500 km from left to right if you have to know) instead it show you the distance you can travel by foot or by boat. The upper scale is for a larger vessel on the open sea, the lower on is by foot. So if you use a horse you will go a bit further every day then the scale shows you.

The map is closing in on being finished so now I just have to decide if I'm going to add in some more details. Do you miss anything? Something you think I should add?

Murcu
04-16-2011, 07:00 AM
It's... so.... beautiful....

Ascension
04-16-2011, 03:48 PM
I really like your color palette here. Good stuff.

Clercon
04-16-2011, 04:11 PM
It's... so.... beautiful....

I really like your color palette here. Good stuff.
Thanks, I must admit that I'm quite satisfied myself with how it turned out. So that means it's more or less finished. Just some small things to add.

eViLe_eAgLe
04-16-2011, 04:27 PM
I really really like this map.. I have to say this is one of my favorite maps now.

Clercon
04-17-2011, 04:19 AM
I really really like this map.. I have to say this is one of my favorite maps now.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Abramelin the Mage
12-18-2011, 12:50 PM
How do you make that folded paper effect?
Thanks.

Clercon
12-18-2011, 06:18 PM
How do you make that folded paper effect?
Thanks.
There are some different ways of doing this. In this particular map I started with the paper background. I then draw everything on top of that. The continents I made by drawing them on a new layer. Then select them so I had all the land mass selected. Created a new layer and used curves to darken the selection. In that way I created darker areas on the background paper that had the form of my continents. After that I continued to add stuff to the map by hand. The only thing that is made with a pattern in the map is the forest.

I hope this helps a bit :-)