PDA

View Full Version : Gergia - Lancelot Schaubert's World

lanceschaubert
04-07-2011, 12:34 PM
This site's awesome.

Here's the map of my world broken down into three types (1) regular (2) the cultures of the world overlay (3) an inverted/gradient one for nighttime.

Basically I worked on this for six years. Since I'm no true artist, and had no pad (only a broken lazer mouse that wouldn't stay still), I had to zoom in until my scree = 40px or so, and used a 1px brush on most of it. Tedious. Grueling. Painful work for someone whose first language is not the brush or the pencil, but the pen. The initial outline was inked, scanned in, then traced over. Mostly photoshop. The book's the funner, easier part for me - it comes naturally.

The map wasn't an option. It just had to be done:

enjoy.

sensawunda
04-07-2011, 02:57 PM
I love the incredible amount of detail. Just thinking up all of the feature names must have taken forever.

Ascension
04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
I can totally sympathize with the pixel editing with a crappy mouse - that's how I used to work because I was afraid of my tablet (it called me names and stole my lunch money). But I think that what you have here is a real winner; very nice. My vote would have been for the delta so I went with my second, the forests. Mtns aren't too shabby either.

jtougas
04-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Incredible. Excellent work :)

Ryan K
04-07-2011, 06:17 PM
I voted for the mountains, but only for the lack of being able to vote for the font :)

lanceschaubert
04-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I love the incredible amount of detail. Just thinking up all of the feature names must have taken forever.

Thanks!

Yeah, it's still taking time. There are places on the map mentioned in stories, or alternate names based on culture. It's absurd. What helped is that I'm taking a bit of a collective-mythology stance, so "the blazing world" for instance was an old 1666 piece about an archipelago extending up from scotland between greenland and norway. I modified the names of the islands, but the concept's pretty similar.

But yeah. I'm glad to have it done for detail sake. I'm no detail guy, so you can guess the grind.

lanceschaubert
04-08-2011, 11:42 AM
I can totally sympathize with the pixel editing with a crappy mouse - that's how I used to work because I was afraid of my tablet (it called me names and stole my lunch money). But I think that what you have here is a real winner; very nice. My vote would have been for the delta so I went with my second, the forests. Mtns aren't too shabby either.

Haha. Thanks. I really appreciate that. Yeah, I like the delta too. I was just talking to a guy about that, about the science behind deltas and what a delta that wide with that many islands would say about the age of the river and such. Growing up an hour from the mississippi, crossing it so often in my life obviously plays into the concept.

lanceschaubert
04-08-2011, 11:43 AM

Haha. Thanks. I really appreciate that. Yeah, I like the delta too. I was just talking to a guy about that, about the science behind deltas and what a delta that wide with that many islands would say about the age of the river and such. Growing up an hour from the mississippi, crossing it so often in my life obviously plays into the concept.

lanceschaubert
04-08-2011, 11:44 AM
well, I'll change it so you can do just that...

lanceschaubert
04-08-2011, 11:46 AM
guess I can't change the poll post-creation. regardless, I appreciate all of the support and encouragement! you guys rock!

Sergei Zybin
04-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Great job, man. And respect for will to complete so huge task with so little resourses. This is like destory battleship with single crowbar!

Ascension
04-08-2011, 04:31 PM
We Missouri guys know our rivers :)

lanceschaubert
04-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Great job, man. And respect for will to complete so huge task with so little resourses. This is like destory battleship with single crowbar!

You guys are too much. This is the most encouraging part of my process so far. Thank you for your kindness.

lanceschaubert
04-08-2011, 04:43 PM
We Missouri guys know our rivers :)

Where you from in Missouri?

Ascension
04-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Right here.

<-------

:)

lanceschaubert
04-08-2011, 04:47 PM
ah, right. Sweet.

Well, they don't call southern Illinois "little egypt" for nothing, either.

Ascension
04-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Yeah, if I remember right, they found a whole bunch of Egyptian artifacts there way back when (it was hypothesized that the Mississipian culture had some sort of trade with the Egyptians but others think that to be all a hoax; me I don't really know) and they still pull some out of the ground every once in a while.

Wannabehero
04-08-2011, 05:13 PM
A labor of love if ever there was. Props for carrying through.

I had to go with the names, those can just as-if-not-more important than every other detail, and your names are awesome.

lanceschaubert
04-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Yeah, if I remember right, they found a whole bunch of Egyptian artifacts there way back when (it was hypothesized that the Mississipian culture had some sort of trade with the Egyptians but others think that to be all a hoax; me I don't really know) and they still pull some out of the ground every once in a while.

hahaha. that's really funny. Yeah, way back when there was a famine in the midwest, the land between the rivers fed the whole area. The comparison was stark enough that it earned the name.

lanceschaubert
04-11-2011, 12:14 PM
A labor of love if ever there was. Props for carrying through.

I had to go with the names, those can just as-if-not-more important than every other detail, and your names are awesome.

Thanks, wbh. Yeah, it took forever to decide which ones needed to be made from scratch and which ones needed to tweak an old myth. The "antis" underwater places obviously come from atlantis, for instance, but it can also mean "is belonging to..." so Othil-Antis is really "the one belonging to Othil", Edd'l & Yaele.

Then I'd write up a story about three brothers who knew how to blend earth with water in such a way that air might cling to it...

lanceschaubert
04-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I forgot to point out that the ice desert up top has a hot-springs oasis. I had never heard of this before, and this week I just started reading ASOIAF. As it turns out, Martin beat me to it (in some ways) by filling the castle walls of Winterfell with hot water.

blast the luck

torstan
04-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Great map - thanks a lot for posting it! As someone who's just finished a big line art map with a tablet, I can only imagine how painstaking this would be with a mouse. The line work on the rivers is gorgeous.

lanceschaubert
04-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Great map - thanks a lot for posting it! As someone who's just finished a big line art map with a tablet, I can only imagine how painstaking this would be with a mouse. The line work on the rivers is gorgeous.

Thanks so much! Yeah, it was rough.

Since this is my first one, I'm unfamiliar with the nomenclature & jargon - what's "line work?"

Gamerprinter
04-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Inked with pen = linework.

CharlesRobinson
04-23-2011, 10:15 PM
I voted for the names - but actually was voting for the font used.

Thanks

lanceschaubert
04-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Inked with pen = linework.

sweet, thanks!

lanceschaubert
04-27-2011, 02:58 PM
I voted for the names - but actually was voting for the font used.

Yeah, I love that font. There were some other uncial-style fonts, but I landed with a more gaelic look.

BTW I'm getting to run a D & D campaign using this world and the magic system I created. I'm STOKED.

CharlesRobinson
04-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Congrats! :-)

lanceschaubert
04-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Congrats! :-)

Thanks, Charles! It was a crrrazy ride. Still remember the freshman class I zoned out in, starting to draw the map on an 8.5/11 piece of paper, outlining the coast and the river. I carried that thing in the front of that binder all year long like some preschooler with a note pinned to his shirt.

Now that I'm a man, I put behind those childish things... kind of.