PDA

View Full Version : Map of Karpentor - suggestions?

D1060
04-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Greetings to all.

I have been a long time fan of the Cartgographers Guild, and used several tutorials from this site on more than one occasion. Never posted anything, though.

Now I am finalizing a work in progress, the map of Karpentor, and would like to ask you what do you think of it: if you have suggestions on how to improve its appearance and eye-appeal. I think most of you will instantly recognize the style, and which tutorials have been my main source of inspiration for this map - I do so love parchment maps.

If you find some of the text odd - that's because it's written in portuguese.

Thanks and Seeya.

http://www.abascanto.com.br/Karpentor2.jpg

RobA
04-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Hi D1060!

First off, kudos and rep for putting up a map in your first post!

A suggestion on your label locations. I'm guessing the larger ones (like Zerilia) are regions/countries even though they are dropped out in the water. I'd suggest having these labels over the land area they label.

Also, I find the title font a bit hard to read as some of the finer lines get lost in the background texture. Maybe making it bold would help?

The white in the scale bar really jumps out, try toning it down a bit.

Overall, nice land shape with good balance.

Thanks for sharing!

-Rob A>

Rythal
04-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Personally I find the sea texture a bit too bold, but overall I really like it. rep'd.

bartmoss
04-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Belated "welcome", then, and good job on that map. I like the texture actually, the title font and especially the white in the distance bars are the two things that I'd mention, too.

D1060
04-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Well, after some tweaking due to the latest input, here's how the map is so far:

Thanks for the feedback!

Ghostman
04-09-2011, 04:41 AM
My, what an adorable sea-serpent!

There's one part of this map that looks really bad to my eyes. It's the way the continent fades off near the northwest corner. I guess the map is supposed to show only a part of a larger landmass, and you're trying to represent the line where it's cut off by making it blurry? To me this seems a rather ugly solution, and also destroys the appearance of a hand-painted map on a sheet of parchment.

Perhaps instead of this blurring, you could simply have the colored land end at the green border, but have visible coastlines extend further northwest. Or you could have it filled with a different color and leave out all the map features from that part; just a blank field of gray or something. You could also place a label in there, to explicitly inform the viewer that the landmass is supposed to continue but is not represented in detail past that border.

Another, perhaps more creative way would be to cut the parchment itself by the border.

Larb
04-09-2011, 06:20 AM
I think it looks nice but for me, the texture is a bit too striking. Perhaps lowing the opacity (if possible) so it's a touch more subtle might work. Also, the green border lines look a little too wide and might benefit from being in a slightly different style, perhaps a dashed line or something.

That serpent is indeed cute though!

D1060
04-09-2011, 09:30 AM
For those of you who want the Sea Serpent:

[Image Removed]

Its a map element from Campaign Cartographer 3.

Midgardsormr
04-09-2011, 01:07 PM
I agree about the texture. It looks more like the map was painted on sandstone than parchment. Just reducing the opacity, or if possible, the level of bump would help.

You should remove the sea serpent icon from this thread—ProFantasy's license forbids redistribution of their artwork.

The teeny-tiny blackletter font is still hard to read. A general rule of thumb is the smaller the text, the less decorative it can be. Blackletter tends to be difficult even at normal sizes, for those who aren't used to seeing it.

RobA
04-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Sorry D1060, I removed the Sea Serpent png as distributing CC3 map elements independently is against their licencing.

-Rob A>

Gamerprinter
04-09-2011, 01:37 PM
As a general rule in graphics design, ornate fonts should be relegated to large title text only. Find a readable slightly less ornate font for most of your labeling. And as Midgard suggests if the font is very small, you should be using a simple serif font, like Century Schoolbook. Serif fonts are easier to read than sans-serif fonts like Arial. Never use ornate fonts for general labeling or small text.

D1060
04-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the hints, everybody.

Check out the latest progress:

Ascension
04-13-2011, 12:31 AM
I dig it except for the mountains - they don't seem to fit with the trees.

Ryan K
04-13-2011, 12:50 AM
Agreed, but I am such a sucker for that parchment style.

MSZ
04-13-2011, 02:44 PM
I like that old treasure map style!

In the North there are a bit too many mountains.

Ghostman
04-13-2011, 03:18 PM
When labeling the forests and mountains, try using a thin outline (stroke) on the text rather than a blurry backdrop strip.

D1060
04-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Here's the latest version

I redid the mountains. Personally, I think they are way cooler this way, though I appreciate any input.

I also worked on some outer glows, left them a little softer. I tried changing some to strokes, but that did not had as good of an effect for this map, IMO.

Regards,

D1060