PDA

View Full Version : A first map

Tomus
04-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Hello
I create this thread for my first map, I have read some tutorials to discover some techniques (particulary Atlas Style by Ascencion, how to create a Realistic Land texture by Flawedspirit and the Saderan tutorial). And I try to make my own in this first map, I don't use a particularly tutorial, just some points I remember and some experiments...
Some points I want to modify for now:
-The bevel on the border of the island
-The texture of the land (I want to remove some "cracks" if you see what I mean...)
-The top of mountains is too aggressive, too clean in the whites mountains

It is a wip, I just started this map yesterday, If you have some advices and some critics, don't hesitate ! (the original picture is two time bigger, not 1500*1500 but 3000*3000)

Murcu
04-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Very awesome man! I like the colors especially. Sorta looks like the water might lift up along the coastline, though. There also appears to be a kind of weird shadow along it.

Still, the shape is awesome. And so much texture to it!

Lunarra
04-12-2011, 12:35 PM
I really like the color of the sea. It has a "deep" feeling to it.
The coast seems a bit too high.

Tomus
04-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Thank for your comments, it's true for the coast, I will modify this bevel, it is not very natural...
If any other comments, don't hesitate ! :)
I'll post a new version soon...

Katto
04-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Really good for a first map. Use the given advices, refine the mountains, label it and you will have fine first map!

Ascension
04-12-2011, 06:06 PM
The dark corners and bright center make it visually appealing and the sapphire blue is just so nice to look at - I dig that very much. If anything I think that it is too textured - I would make the grassy parts smoother and keep the texture in the mountains.

Tomus
04-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Here a second version, I modified the texture of the land and the bevel of coasts, what do you think about ?
I'll add labels, but I want create some reefs (récifs...) and I don't really have the technique, I'll experiment a bit :)