PDA

View Full Version : Boo!

Ken_Scades
04-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Hey there, I'm the new guy!

I just wanted to itroduce me.
I'm 19 years old, german and joined the cartographers guild because I desperately need to find a way to create a professional map of a world i am stomping out of nothingness.
When I say professional, than i mean something that looks beatiful. And here in your Forum I have found TONS and TONS of beatiful maps and then some!
But... you know... right know I'm kinda confused, due to there beeing so many tutorials that i can't seem to be able to decide which kind of map i finally WANT to draw!
And then there was THIS really really terrific map i found on deviantart! (Here's the link:http://thevalcian.deviantart.com/art/Valcia-Regional-Fantasy-Map-117923496 )
And here's my question: Is it possible to produce anything in any time with gimp and inksape that looks in any kind alike? I really am unexperienced with both gimp and photoshop, thus I don't know the differences...

jtougas
04-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Welcome to the Guild. As for your question it looks like that map was hand drawn and then probably colored in a graphics program. It is certainly possible to emulate that type of map in either GIMP or Photoshop. It just depends on how much time and effort you are willing to put into it. I would certainly like to see the results of your efforts. I say go for it. :)

Ascension
04-21-2011, 04:05 PM
That was done in Photoshop, if I remember right. You can do something similar in Gimp if you choose. There is no tutorial for how he made it so I would suggest trying out some of the others to get yourself familiar with the tools of the trade and then once you understand things then adapt the techniques to suit what you want. It may take some time and you may go down some dead end roads, but I think that is half of the fun.

Ken_Scades
04-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I've been trying the different programms out for quite some time now, actual more than a week, and up til now i have learned that its far more effectiv - and in my eyes realistic - if you draw up a sketch and then import it in gimp and inkspace. In addition it is far more fun! :D (damn i'm getting addicted to cartographing :) )

thanks for the answeres, I'll definitly try it out and I wont rest until my map is completed!!! 8)

Steel General
04-22-2011, 07:15 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Ken_Scades
04-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Hey, I tried to write a PM but it seems my account is not fully activated yet. Is there something I have to do? Or do I simply hve to wait until an admin has found the time to activate me? :)

torstan
04-25-2011, 09:56 AM
You need to have 5 posts before the pm functionality is unlocked. Welcome to the guild!

Ken_Scades
04-25-2011, 11:44 AM
ahhhhh thx^^

Ryan K
04-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Welcome to the board, Ken!

NeonKnight
04-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Welcome to the Guild!