PDA

View Full Version : Athun (WIP)

illustranaut
04-22-2011, 10:11 AM
After a 20 year break I decided to revisit the maps I started sketching out when I was 11 for a novel I will (hopefully) finish, this is a work in progress, I love Tear's version of the Seven Kingdoms (a song of fire and ice) and was an influenced in parts for this... Still a fair bit to do, with adding some forests and labelling the map but just though i'd throw it out there for a WIP critique :)

P.S. is there any way to actually change my user name without losing my uploads etc?

RobA
04-22-2011, 12:34 PM
P.S. is there any way to actually change my user name without losing my uploads etc?

Sure - just let me know in a PM and I'll change it.

-Rob A>

P.S. Nice map!

arsheesh
04-22-2011, 02:33 PM
I really like the shape of the land masses in your map. The color scheme and the ocean bumps are very nice as well. A couple of suggestions thought. First, the mountains seem a bit too smooth and bubbly. I'm a GIMP user and not all that familiar with PS, but perhaps if you added some noise (or whatever the PS equivalent of noise is) to the mt ranges before bump-mapping (lighting effects? Emboss?) then, this would give them a bit more of a rugged look. Second, the map title in the right-hand corner seems a bit small. Other than that, you're off to a wonderful start.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

illustranaut
04-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi arsheesh, thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated :) i've got a masked layer with a rock texture that I'll be using to 'rockyfy' the mountains (I couldnt quite get it to look right), I've not put much thought into the typography yet but chances are that I'll create a panel for the title which I haven't really decided on, the name i originally had seemed a bit childish so this is a stopgap and will most likely change when I give it some thought.

Cheers.

:)

Hungry Donner
04-22-2011, 04:18 PM
You have a large flat area above the central gulf, what sort of environment does it have? With mountains to the East and West and no central river system I'd expect a desert but the coloration doesn't reflect that. There are some very arid grasslands out there (Patagonia immediately comes to mind), but with such an impressive basin I'd expect some river activity if it isn't a true sandy/rocky desert.

An interesting option if you want something dry but not entirely barren would be a seasonal rainy season (with seasonal rivers) similar to what we see in Australia and some parts of Africa.

I love the overall layout and I must admit I'm a sucker for sunken coastlines - the gap between your continent and the southern landmass is quite eyecatching.

illustranaut
04-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Ah ha, you are correct, i was planning this area to be like the russian steppes but if there was going to be vast grassland then there would have to be some water, I may need to rethink this area :)

Hungry Donner
04-22-2011, 05:26 PM
The Russian steppes have a ton of rivers actually, so you can still preserve your initial plans if you want, you just need to consider a river or two. If they are flowing north you may also want to consider a large frigid delta at the end - if you're looking for real world inspiration I'd suggest looking the Ob River, the Lena River, and the (Canadian) MacKenzie River.

An arctic and near-arctic delta also mean you can include pingos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingo)! :D

illustranaut
04-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Hi, thanks :) I like the idea of pingos, never heard of them before, if I have some river systems flowing north then that would work as the land would be frozen all year round.

Hungry Donner
04-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Your welcome, I'm glad I could help. Biomes are enjoyable things to play with.

Steel General
04-23-2011, 09:41 AM
It's a great start, looking forward to seeing where you take it.

illustranaut
04-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Cheers SG :)

I've added a texture layer to the mountains and it now looks a little less 'plastic' not 100% happy with it but with some more experimentation I think I might get there, moving onto the forested areas now, which i'm finding the most difficult to get right, anyway I've attached the WIP so far, crits welcome as usual, and looking over my shoulder for the River police, just incase I've violated any rules :)

Hungry Donner
04-23-2011, 09:11 PM
The river police formally approves this map :D

The mountains look great too!

mearrin69
04-23-2011, 09:22 PM
That's purdy! Love the mountains.

You know, we need a seal, like the WH40k "Chapter Approved" for the River Police. ;)
M

jtougas
04-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Looks Great. :)

Ascension
04-24-2011, 12:39 AM
The River Police want to know the scale before citing some rivers. Might be deltas or might not be - depends on the scale. By me just referencing the mountains I'd say there are many super deltas that might want to get tweaked. As for a seal; all we have is our badges. Otherwise, it looks great.

arsheesh
04-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Looking good! The mountains look much more natural. Look forward to watching this progress.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Ryan K
04-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Beautiful work :)

Hungry Donner
05-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Woops, I didn't realize there was an actual group called the River Police on here, I figured it was some friendly chiding directed at my comments :D

bartmoss
05-04-2011, 06:34 PM
*nods at fellow officers* It seems we have an eager young recruit here.

As for the map, it looks awesome, I am very impressed.

RobA
05-05-2011, 12:41 AM
I tend to deputize anyone who "does good" by the name ;) Keep it up and you might find yourself a nice shiny icon...

-Rob A> (aka "The RP Chief")

Tigon
05-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Great start the fella. The currents and tides through the Panama-like bit would be fearsome! Look forward to seeing how it develops.

illustranaut
05-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Woops, I didn't realize there was an actual group called the River Police on here, I figured it was some friendly chiding directed at my comments :D

Ha ha I was going to say you should apply for a recruitment application form as it looks like you know you're stuff, seems like you've already been noticed tho... :)

illustranaut
05-07-2011, 06:37 AM
Cheers Tigon :) it add to the defensive positions of a couple of fortresses situated amongst the isles... Just got back onto this and should hopefully have another upload this weekend after the long easter/ bank holiday breaks :)

illustranaut
05-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Hi all, I've added some greenery and started populating the map with towns, roads etc, still a lot to do, any feedback would be great, still not 100% sure about the forested areas and need to rectify some brush 'glitches' in the mountains of the southern landmass...

arsheesh
05-08-2011, 07:29 PM
The forests look fine to me, but to be honest the shade of red you've selected for roads/passage ways and icons seems to clash with the other colors of the map. I would suggest going with a dark maroon or burgundy. Otherwise, it's coming together really nicely.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Ascension
05-08-2011, 08:21 PM
I think it looks superb except you've got a lot of river splits.

illustranaut
05-10-2011, 05:28 PM
The forests look fine to me, but to be honest the shade of red you've selected for roads/passage ways and icons seems to clash with the other colors of the map. I would suggest going with a dark maroon or burgundy. Otherwise, it's coming together really nicely.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Deffo agree with you on that, although when I change the colour space to CMYK that should tone it down, but I'm thinking brown or burgundy would look better :)

I think it looks superb except you've got a lot of river splits.

Haha, you are right, I'll be correcting that, me thinks ;)

jbgibson
05-11-2011, 12:04 AM
To be specific about the dividing rivers issue, places like the flat bit east of Deeping Helt could be plausible deltas, as could Ascalan's environs, particularly if your few depicted branches are just representative simplification of a maze of bayous and backwaters. But the topography you've placed in some, like the rise amidst the forks west of Rimengaerd, or the three splits on the SE coast, way east of Ascalan, seem to show a river seriously branching on its way seaward. And they don't.

Water follows the path of least resistance, always in the lowest direction from a given point. There won't be *two* directions honestly lowest. Iinches would be enough difference to cause draining one way over another. And if there ever is a temporary case of equal-height outlets from a point, the action of the flowing water would wear one lower than the other. Then soon, you'd be back to the expected one-way-flow, and the alternative path would be dry (or ox-bow lake, etc). Sure, maybe in flood, it would get flow too - there's some cool situations like that in the real world as examples. The lower Mississippi and its interactions with the Red River and the Atchafalaya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchafalaya_River) are about as big as you get, with real distributaries, and the land thereabouts is seriously flat. So you more often get modest islands - that between the American and Canadian falls at Niagara, or Grand Isle just upstream - a few hundred yards and couple of miles long, respectively. Some large islands you can't count - Manhattan at eight or ten miles long is really surrounded by sea-level river, right? But bigger than that? Those three splits look to be what - dozens to a hundred miles long? With hills in between? Which does bring up the possibility of steering toward realism by broadening some of those rivers at and downstream from splits into ocean inlets. Then you don't have illicit branching; you'd have outright islands.

If you come up with as awesome a name for a distributary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributary) as the Atchafalaya River, we'll consider giving you one free get-out-of-jail card :-).

The river thing is a technicality, a realism issue. The map overall is going great. I want the lighthouse monopoly among that archipelago east of Na'Daur Kaloth :-).

Btw, have you decided on a scale? The biomes make me think equator-ish at the south, to seventy or eighty degrees north, at the top. Is that close?

illustranaut
05-11-2011, 04:36 AM
Haha, I definately need to brush up on the river thing, got a bit carried away with those splits! I changed them last night, there are now only two deltas now, the one at Ascalan and the other if the one running through the permafrost on the northern coast of the main landmass.

If you come up with as awesome a name for a distributary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributary) as the Atchafalaya River, we'll consider giving you one free get-out-of-jail card :-).

I still have some rivers to put a name to before I label the map, I think I may need the 'Get-out-of-jail Card' :)

The river thing is a technicality, a realism issue. The map overall is going great. I want the lighthouse monopoly among that archipelago east of Na'Daur Kaloth :-).

:) You may have to change that to 'Beacon' Monopoly i'm still looking into the possibility of removing some islands, need to look into whether there are any real world equivalents of this kind of area... and how permanent the Island could be with such fierce tides rolling in and out of the channels. :)

Btw, have you decided on a scale? The biomes make me think equator-ish at the south, to seventy or eighty degrees north, at the top. Is that close?

Not quite worked out the scale yet, although I had the delta at Ascalan somewhere between 30 and 40 miles wide, you are very close with the equator , it runs roughly through the islands at the bottom left, the map is orientated a bit to the Northwest.

Ramah
05-11-2011, 05:21 PM
You also have a lake on the SE island with two exit rivers.

Love your landmass shapes btw, very nice indeed. Personally I preferred your mountains on the previous version but that's just me. I'm not a big fan of these style of mountains but I will admit that you've done them very well, much better than most in fact. :)

illustranaut
05-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Hey Thanks Ramah :) I'd noticed this yesterday and I've already corrected it.