PDA

View Full Version : Hello, lovely to meet you

Kiarelle Alaisdair
04-22-2011, 09:46 PM
This site seems to be a fountain of information and talent, I've watched it for awhile now and finally decided to join. I've drawn a few maps but never been quiet happy with them, so the main area I'll be lurking in on here at first will certainly be the tutorial section. I want to create old style maps, everything from world maps, to country ones, to cities. Any tips for a artist who draws the maps rather then using a program for them are more then welcome! There are some awesome programs out there that I've seen but...map creation is something I want to learn as a illustrator.

Anyway, done rambling :)

Ascension
04-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Taking the hand-drawn route is the more difficult route unless you have some skillz and vision - if you have those then nothing else really matters except maybe some inspirations to prod you along or prod you away from. My advice is to look at as many maps as you can and save some so that you can inspect the techniques used. There are a few tuts for drawing maps (as opposed to generating maps with programs) for both software and pen/paper. So poke around and welcome.

Kiarelle Alaisdair
04-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Taking the hand-drawn route is the more difficult route unless you have some skillz and vision - if you have those then nothing else really matters except maybe some inspirations to prod you along or prod you away from. My advice is to look at as many maps as you can and save some so that you can inspect the techniques used. There are a few tuts for drawing maps (as opposed to generating maps with programs) for both software and pen/paper. So poke around and welcome.

Well I'm a illustrator so skillz and vision I do hope I have...not that I've ever done much more then outline continents and countries but...if I can learn all the other stuff school has thrown at me then I hope I can handle this. I am rambling about and have seen some amazing maps, just gorgeously done. This forum has so much talent.

Thank you for the welcome :)

NeonKnight
04-23-2011, 01:26 AM
Welcome to the Guild!

Ascension
04-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Forgot to mention, try out some of the tutorials just to learn the other techniques and become familiar with them. Something you pick up here or there might come in handy later on down the road. I know they've helped me with my experiments.

Steel General
04-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Kiarelle Alaisdair
04-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Thank you for the welcome Neon Knight and Steel General :)

Forgot to mention, try out some of the tutorials just to learn the other techniques and become familiar with them. Something you pick up here or there might come in handy later on down the road. I know they've helped me with my experiments.

I will :) Some of the map programs listed here don't seem to work with Mac's, (which is what I have) but I have Illustrator and Photoshop and Painter so I'll probably toy around in those with some of the tutorials. I tried one of the land massing ones last night and got really confused >.< Map making is so not an easy thing but I find it fascinating.

jtougas
04-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the Guild. :)

Korash
04-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Welcome to the Guild Kiarelle.

One thing that you should know is that quite a few of the Artists here are using a tablet to do quite a bit of work on these maps. Some of the techniques they use should translate pretty well to the Pen and Paper mapping. It might be a bit more problematic when they go into textures and filters and other stuff like that. I would still suggest looking through the tuts as they are as mush about work flow and thought process as much as the techniques used.

Kiarelle Alaisdair
04-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Thank you for the welcome jtougas ^^

Welcome to the Guild Kiarelle.

One thing that you should know is that quite a few of the Artists here are using a tablet to do quite a bit of work on these maps. Some of the techniques they use should translate pretty well to the Pen and Paper mapping. It might be a bit more problematic when they go into textures and filters and other stuff like that. I would still suggest looking through the tuts as they are as mush about work flow and thought process as much as the techniques used.

I think everyone on this site is an artist really, there is some amazing work done on here! But I have noticed that looking around a bit. I should have clarified though, I would be using my tablet and Photoshop probably for the maps (I don't think it would work well in Painter and Illustrator confuses the hell out of me). The tutorials on here are pretty amazing ^^. Thanks for the advice.