PDA

View Full Version : Modern Rural Town

cjs0216
04-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Messing around with Google maps, I've stitched together a small, rural city for use in a novel I'm writing. I'd like to trace the map and sort of make it my own. I've made some fantasy maps in the past, but doing stuff a the town level in a modern style has proved rather difficult for me. I've searched for tutorials here, but pretty much came up empty handed. Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent tutorial? Style doesn't matter as long as it looks modern. Thanks in advance.

eViLe_eAgLe
04-23-2011, 02:02 AM
You probably could just mess around with the belevel and countours to get suburb houses and for skyscrapers you could just paint a large square in a gray and then trace the outside with black to or a dark grey. Not so sure about the rest though. But the roads and houses and skyscrapers should be the easy part.

cjs0216
04-23-2011, 02:48 AM
I'm ashamed to admit this, but in all the years I've been messing around with Photoshop, I never knew how to use the pen tool...so I never used it. I figured it out in Illistrator and things are going fine. Thanks for your help, though.

eViLe_eAgLe
04-23-2011, 02:53 AM
No problem.. But, I wouldn't trust my advice to much.. I'm not a veteran.

Ascension
04-23-2011, 09:15 AM
I think style will be important in order to suggest a modern feel. Simple squares to represent buildings could be for any genre. When I think modern I think 2 things - Google style street maps and SimCity ISO. I don't know of any tuts for that here but there may be something on the web somewhere (maybe).

eViLe_eAgLe
04-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Ahh.. I remembered why I love SimCity now. The beauty of making fictional regions and naming them and basically creating them.

cjs0216
04-23-2011, 04:23 PM
I tried SimCity, but I couldn't get it to bend to my will...lol I think that I'm going to start a WIP thread for this map.