PDA

View Full Version : Nothing Special - Any Corrections?

Mannfred
04-24-2011, 02:42 AM
Hello Everyone,
This is Mannfred from India. I am working on a map for my Epic Fantasy novel. And so far, I have this. Any suggestions to improve it? I am satisfied with it as I made it in just two days. :) If you find any glaring mistakes or mis matched landscapes, let me know so that I can correct it. I took a photo with my mobile and selected the outline with the marquee tool, copy pasted it in a new layer and then filled it with a solid black to get my continent's outline. Also, the rivers, I'm not sure if they are going the way they should. I did what I can to remember the past I found in tutorials about the rivers while drawing them.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/1518/gemretoron.th.jpg (http://img571.imageshack.us/i/gemretoron.jpg/)

After this map, I have two more continents and several City maps to draw. :) Going to learn and stay in this forum for a while. :D

Thanks for any replies.

-
Mannfred

eViLe_eAgLe
04-24-2011, 02:51 AM
I would like to see better indications of mountains as I have a hard time seeing them.

Mannfred
04-24-2011, 03:17 AM
I would like to see better indications of mountains as I have a hard time seeing them.

I really have no idea to make my mountains look alive... I tried making them more prominent and uploaded the NEW image above. But, as you can probably see, I pixelated it a bit too much. :) I'm a noob to both Photoshop and map making. Any pointers would be welcome...

Thanks.

-
Mannfred

eViLe_eAgLe
04-24-2011, 03:23 AM
I'm not one of the best person to ask.. But, you could add a harsher texture and maybe have a slight belevel with a soft brush over? But, as I said i'm not the person to ask. There are a lot of tutorials though about it.

Steel General
04-24-2011, 09:43 AM
There are various tutorials on different styles of mountains in the tutorial forum. You might want to take a look thru those.

Mannfred
04-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks. :) I'm looking into one now...

-
Mannfred

jtougas
04-24-2011, 02:44 PM
This really looks great. I especially like your landmass textures. The rivers look good to me (although I am no expert on that subject). You might consider changing the font on your labels or making them bigger. Fancy fonts get very difficult to read when they are too small. All in all a great piece. Keep up the good work. :)

Rhotherian
04-24-2011, 03:51 PM
I really like it! :D

The mountains are a pain to see, though. It's not that big a deal - probably easy to fix. Good luck! ;)

Mannfred
04-25-2011, 12:30 AM

I'm working on the mountains right now... I read some very nice tutorials yesterday and learnt many new things. I have them in a separate layer. So, I guess editing them would be easy enough.

-
Mannfred

Mannfred
04-25-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm not sure if this is fine or not but this is what I've managed so far... I'm not able to get that perfect mountain-ish look... What am I missing here?

Can anyone point it out? I've tried a little noice and clouds for the Hills layer and a Bevel and Difference Clouds for the Mountains layer... Point me in the right direction here please...

NOTE: I'm only working and SHOWING the mountains. The segmentation and landmass layers are HIDDEN. So, they won't show up the land will be plain in many places. After I finish with the mounts, I'll include them in it...

Thanks. :)

-
Mannfred

Mannfred
04-26-2011, 07:42 AM
No replies? oO

Sharpe
04-26-2011, 10:50 AM
I think your mountains look great!

Are you going to add trees in places?

Mannfred
04-26-2011, 11:14 AM
I think your mountains look great!

Are you going to add trees in places?

Yes. I am going to add trees in place. I'm just checking with some basic atlas maps to confirm that forests may appear in places that I want them to...

-
Mannfred

Sel93
04-26-2011, 12:01 PM
I think it has potential. The mountains look very good. I also like the coloring and the water on the coast.

What about adding some kind of texture onto the land mass? Its looking too flat and ... artificial.

Your rivers are not that well placed. Most of them should start in mountains and water doesnt flow up, so they wouldn't go up a mountain like they do sometimes in your map, e.g. the two rivers in the north-east, but they would rather avoid them and change their directions.

Why is there a red outline at the coastlines?

Other than that, its looking good already.

Mannfred
04-26-2011, 12:09 PM
What about adding some kind of texture onto the land mass? Its looking too flat and ... artificial.

I told you already. :) I've hidden the landmass layer and the texture layer in the PSD to continue working on the mountains till I'm satisfied with them.

Your rivers are not that well placed. Most of them should start in mountains and water doesnt flow up, so they wouldn't go up a mountain like they do sometimes in your map, e.g. the two rivers in the north-east, but they would rather avoid them and change their directions.

Thanks for pointing out, I'll change 'em. :) I drew the rivers first and then changed the mountain layer so much that I forgot to make the changes in the rivers... I'm looking for a good different style to draw them as they look like sketch lines to me in that image...

Why is there a red outline at the coastlines?

Damn! Those are unintended pixelation marks over there... Must have happened when I was adding that noise for the Hills layer. Thanks. I'll remove them.

-
Mannfred

Mannfred
04-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Here is a little revision of my map again. It has the all new landmass layer revealed and the landmass has been modified to include the sand dunes from the desert and the wind and clouds over the other regions of the land.

There is an indication of a dark and (hopefully) ominous looking cloud over the land of Morganol as it is the city where the gate to the Warren of Chaos is present.

Flame me if you don't like it! :D I'll change it. I'm having so much fun learning Photoshop and learning it in a way that does not bore me out of my wits... :)

-
Mannfred

jtougas
04-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Looks good. The "cloud" effect is nice as well. You might try a bump map on your basic land texture to give it a little life. All in all very good work . :)

Mannfred
04-26-2011, 10:43 PM
You might try a bump map on your basic land texture to give it a little life.

Umm, sorry for being a noob. But, what is a bump map?

-
Mannfred

jtougas
04-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Umm, sorry for being a noob. But, what is a bump map?

-
Mannfred

Don't apologize that was my mistake. :) A bump map is a filter that applies varying amounts of shading to an area to make it look less "flat" (I'm sure there is a much more technical explanation of it but that will do for our purposes. I'm not 100% sure in Photoshop but you should have the option to use a bump map filter in your layer styles. :)

Mannfred
04-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks. I'll begin working on it tonight after I finish my final semester exam... :)

I am trying to create a trees layer as of now. This bump map layer will be below that layer I guess. Will post the work soon enough. Thanks for explaining.

-
Mannfred

jtougas
04-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Yes you'll want your bump map under your trees. :)

Mannfred
04-29-2011, 12:55 AM
I've done a satisfactory tree layer with GIMP now. Was wondering if I could do the same with Photoshop anew. Trying my best to find similar options to that of GIMP. Till now, its halfway done.

-
Mannfred

Mannfred
03-09-2014, 01:48 PM
So, after several months of moving, finding a job and basically scraping the bottom of life, I've saved up enough to purchase a new PC. :)

Back to drawing. I'm starting where I left off two years ago. I've re-created my mountain layer and also added two new layers for forests and hills & rivers. The rivers are not touched yet. I'll be very happy if you guys could give me some comments to keep me going with this project. I really want to get my book out this year.

-
Mannfred

Mannfred
03-10-2014, 08:51 AM
No reply? oO;

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Bogie
03-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Welcome back Mannfred. My constructive criticism is that some coastlines look natural and some look like they were done quick with an eraser tool. It would look better if they all were similar.

Veldehar
03-10-2014, 11:25 AM
What is the scale here? What is driving the mountain creation? The mountain placement looks a bit on the random side... which is just fine... but from a more realistic stand point, what forces caused these the way they are? There is something there that doesn't quite feel real. Some of how real this looks would depend on scale and what forces are at work, of course, and real doesn't necessarily matter, LOL, but as an Epic Fantasy guy, I like maps that feel real.