PDA

View Full Version : April/May 2011 Lite Challenge Entry - Palace of Lareth

Yandor
04-24-2011, 03:39 AM
Well I'll try my hand again at this lite challange. The last few have been ones I wanted to start doing (seeing as I'm trying to make a multilevel map, world->continent->region->city->Buildings... Ambitious? sure, crazy? yes, will it get done? Heck if I know...) Anyways so this is just a rough outline so far of the castle, still going to do a bunch to it, let me know what you think so far...

I shrunk it by 50% so the actual image is a bit larger...

### Latest WIP ###

jtougas
04-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Good Start. I look forward to watching this. :)

Yandor
04-24-2011, 04:00 PM
And we push onward! So this is the basic feel of what the map will turn out to be, I think I'll only be doing 1 level... all depends I guess... well maybe I'll do what I've seen others do, make small sections off to the side of other floors... hmm I like it! haha well here is the latest

### Latest WIP ###

Ares96
04-24-2011, 05:07 PM
And we push onward! So this is the basic feel of what the map will turn out to be, I think I'll only be doing 1 level... all depends I guess... well maybe I'll do what I've seen others do, make small sections off to the side of other floors... hmm I like it! haha well here is the latest

### Latest WIP ###

Dear God, I'm outmatched.

eViLe_eAgLe
04-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Agreed... I was gonna enter the competition to.. O_O

Yandor
04-24-2011, 05:46 PM
eViLe_eAgLe - please join, I thought for awhile I was going to be the only one... but still its great to see how people bring forth their ideas

Ares96 - outmatched?! baha right, you've got a good start on yours, and it could easily out do mine! I'm near done though thats the thing, I spend several hours (probably a good 6-8 ) on it last night and this morning (between the outline post and the latest update) So yeah...

Ares96
04-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Ares96 - outmatched?! baha right, you've got a good start on yours, and it could easily out do mine! I'm near done though thats the thing, I spend several hours (probably a good 6-8 ) on it last night and this morning (between the outline post and the latest update) So yeah...

Thank you. I don't have much else to do on mine aside from just adding more things. It's really more blueprint than map, and much simpler in style than this.

Ascension
04-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Eye candy isn't always what it's cracked up to be and people's tastes vary so much and on a whim. I enter almost every month yet I've very few wins. Plus, look at that join date...Yandor joined before me so he has a lot of knowledge. Never compare yourself to another...you'll always find yourself lacking. Do your best and strive to outdo everyone and even if you don't get a single vote you know you did your best and maybe next time will be better. Sometimes I even hold off on voting until the end so I can give my vote to the low guy. :)

Yandor
04-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I couldn't of said it any better, but 2 of those years I never touched this site, or did anything with photoshop, so I donno Ascension, join dates could mean nothing :)

Ares96
04-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Eye candy isn't always what it's cracked up to be and people's tastes vary so much and on a whim. I enter almost every month yet I've very few wins. Plus, look at that join date...Yandor joined before me so he has a lot of knowledge. Never compare yourself to another...you'll always find yourself lacking. Do your best and strive to outdo everyone and even if you don't get a single vote you know you did your best and maybe next time will be better. Sometimes I even hold off on voting until the end so I can give my vote to the low guy. :)

Very true. Anyway, good job Yandor and may the best man win! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to continue my actual mapmaking efforts!

Yandor
04-25-2011, 01:32 AM
haha best of luck to you too Ares96.

Anyways a little bit more progress, still donno how I want to work the layout of the keep... However I added steps, finished the hallways, and added flooring to the houses, besides that there isn't much change...

Well long week of finals and tons of reservations for graduation at my restaurant, so probably not a lot of progress on this until the weekend!

### Latest WIP ###

Wannabehero
04-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Lookin good Yandor, and GL on the finals!

Yandor
05-01-2011, 08:46 PM
well had a little bit of time to get a little more done, I think I'm going to follow me thy of little by little get more detailed as you go from bottom to top of the image, so I'm going to stick in a throne and other actual items as it gets to the main keep, but yeah still plugging away little by little.

So I think I went a little column happy... haha we'll see if I can fix that

Thanks for the encouragement I did pretty good (or so it felt still waiting for most of the grades to be put in...) but yeah heres the update.

Ares96
05-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Looking very good. Good luck!

Yandor
05-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Alright pushing a bit farther, still debating on how much detail I want to put into the rooms of the keep portion of the castle... Anyways this will be close to the final layout of the entire image...

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
05-05-2011, 07:44 AM
For me the grid is a bit heavy, you might consider lowering the opacity a bit (or possibly changing the color).

jtougas
05-13-2011, 02:33 PM
It's a very good layout. I like the collapsible wall idea. (may have to "borrow" that). Nice work :)

Ares96
05-13-2011, 03:46 PM
You might try to make it a bit smaller in the final version. I'm running quite a fast computer, and it still takes a very long time to load.

Ascension
05-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Less than 3 seconds for me, it's more likely not the size but your connection, Ares - unless 3 seconds = very long time.

Ares96
05-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Less than 3 seconds for me, it's more likely not the size but your connection, Ares - unless 3 seconds = very long time.

I guess so. Takes almost a full minute for me.

Seraphine_Harmonium
05-15-2011, 10:47 AM
My only problem is the diagonal wall. It looks like it was designed to be laid out on a grid, not designed to be practical. Is there an actual purpose to the wall being designed like that? Or is it just to avoid only-partially-filled squares?

Looks pretty otherwise. I like the textures and the trees in the garden.