PDA

View Full Version : April/May 2011 Lite Challenge Entry - Lagrangian Fort

Ares96
04-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Alright, this is the first time I enter into a contest on this site, so try not to be too rough on me at the start :oops:

The general idea is that of a realistic space installation at one of the Earth/Moon Lagrangian points, hence the name. This is not for any scenario in particular (although initially I was planning a cavorite-punk thing for "The Binding Past", one of my favourite timelines on AH.com), other than that several human powers (some hostile, some friendly) move out into the Solar System and build defensive installations such as this to protect themselves.

So far I've only done the mainframe of the fort, though there will be quite an extensive structure around it.

###LATEST WIP###

jtougas
04-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Looks cool. I'm looking forward to watching this develop. :)

Ascension
04-24-2011, 02:02 PM
They gotta lotta nice girls... Sorry, ZZ Top goin thru my head. :) So far so good.

Ares96
04-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Added two "work pods": one with mechanical arms and one with small guns (they're pointed upward here to show that there are two on each turret). Also added a docking port (moveable to let the pods move around more freely), as well as the fort's secondary armament; four three-gun turrets of retrofitted battleship design that move along straight beams outside of the main frame, and that are controlled from a firing central (still not on the map).

###LATEST WIP###

Ascension
04-24-2011, 05:05 PM
If all the guns fire at once will the thing start rotating?

Ares96
04-24-2011, 06:22 PM
If all the guns fire at once will the thing start rotating?

They very rarely do, and if they do they would probably all fire in the same direction, like a traditional broadside. The guns are placed on turntables that move along the railings on the trusswork, so they can rotate freely (as can the work pods).

Ares96
04-24-2011, 08:25 PM
I added a high-gain antenna dish on the central observation module, a tunnel from said module to the main structure, and three modules that are part of the pressurised section of the fort: the habitation module, the main connecting module and the transfer module between the main pressurised station and the work pods. This structure borrows from the "Freedom" station planned by NASA in the 80s, that eventually (with Russian cooperation) became the much larger International Space Station.

###LATEST WIP###

eViLe_eAgLe
04-25-2011, 06:20 PM
*stalks competition*

Ares96
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM
*stalks competition*

This means?

Ares96
04-26-2011, 12:57 PM
This is, I believe, the final WIP of this. I added internal drawings of the pressurised sections.

###LATEST WIP###

osloging
04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Are we talking about this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point)? Or is Lagrangian some sci-fi-world reference I don't get? As in "Oh, no! It's the Lagrangians! They have snouts! And speak French!"?

Ares96
04-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Are we talking about this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point)? Or is Lagrangian some sci-fi-world reference I don't get? As in "Oh, no! It's the Lagrangians! They have snouts! And speak French!"?

Indeed, what we are takling about is a Lagrangian point. I thought I made that clear in the first post.

Ares96
04-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Well, I'm happy to say that my contribution to this contest is now finished!

osloging
04-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Indeed, what we are takling about is a Lagrangian point. I thought I made that clear in the first post.

Oops. Indeed you did. Somehow I missed the one sentence refering to Moon and Earth. Too busy looking at the pictures, I guess ;)

jtougas
04-26-2011, 05:54 PM
This is really very good. Very crisp and neat. Nice Job. :)

Ares96
04-26-2011, 06:08 PM
This is really very good. Very crisp and neat. Nice Job. :)

Thank you very much.

Diamond
04-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Nice work; me likes.

Ares96
04-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Nice work; me likes.

Thank you; coming from you that is great praise indeed.

Troedel
05-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Looking at the thumbnail the distribution of free space looks odd to me. The actual graphic looks good but the arrangement could be better. For an instance there is much space below the station while the title feels compressed. I donīt know how to describe it exactly but perhaps you can play around with the layout a bit. There is time left and you can always return to actual.

Ares96
05-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Looking at the thumbnail the distribution of free space looks odd to me. The actual graphic looks good but the arrangement could be better. For an instance there is much space below the station while the title feels compressed. I donīt know how to describe it exactly but perhaps you can play around with the layout a bit. There is time left and you can always return to actual.

Well, I too think that there should be less white space at the bottom, but it has to be that big for the key to fit. And if I moved the title there would just be more white space!

jtougas
05-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Maybe if you made the station itself a bit bigger. (Thats if on it's own layer) That would fill up a bit of the empty space. :)

Ares96
05-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Maybe if you made the station itself a bit bigger. (Thats if on it's own layer) That would fill up a bit of the empty space. :)

I'm using PDN and the thing isn't antialiased. Enlarging it would make for a VERY big eyesore.