PDA

View Full Version : My home as a subway

Clercon
04-28-2011, 05:01 PM
I have a son that really loves trains in all ways, and especially underground ones. Whenever we go up north to see my parents the subway is one of the highlights. At home he likes to play that he goes by train/subway between all the rooms (his little sister also likes to join in). So I decided to make a subway map of my house, so the playing would be a bit more fun for them ( and a bit more understandable for the little sister). Every room is a station and there are different lines. Some of them are outside in the garden but they only work in nice weather though, a bit like the real trains here in Sweden :-).

Ryan K
04-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Hehe nice one, Clercon :)

jtougas
04-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Awesome. I love the idea. :) and so does my little one (although neither of us understands the language.) :)

ravells
04-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Wow how many rooms do you have in your house??? :)

Clercon
04-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Wow how many rooms do you have in your house??? :)

Well a few....I'm living in a house that was built in 1903 so there are a lot of small rooms and hallways that can't be used for anything really (except being great subway stops). And the yellow and black lines are outdoor in the garden. You can say that my house is quite the opposite of modern architecture with open design, you know kitchen, living room and dining room etc as one big room. In my house there is a small room for every need instead and the 30 cm interior brick walls makes that impossible to change :-)

Katto
05-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Nice one Clercon! Please translate the yellow line. I just understand cellar stairs and stone stairs (hope I am right) and the other ones?

Clercon
05-02-2011, 08:00 AM
OK katto here we go :-) From left to right:
Climbing tree - Car parking - Stone stairs -Gravel path - Strawberry field - Child swing - cellar stairs.

If I have the time I try to put the map up in english.

Katto
05-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks Clercon. The nordic languages have many similarites to german and it was fun to guess what is what. Now I know what "Klätterträdet" and "Jordgubbslandet" means. I had no ideas and thought they are rooms in the house :)

bartmoss
05-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Nice idea... I should do this too, just for kicks!

bartmoss
05-05-2011, 01:56 AM
So I went ahead and did this too, this was fun! It should be a mini challenge. ;-)

Anyway since my apartement isn't very big I used features rather than rooms as my stations. I didn't have many good ideas for station names though.

Clercon
05-05-2011, 05:42 PM
So I went ahead and did this too, this was fun! It should be a mini challenge. ;-)

Anyway since my apartement isn't very big I used features rather than rooms as my stations. I didn't have many good ideas for station names though.

That's really great bartmoss. I agree on the mini challenge, that would be fun to see what people came up with.

ravells
05-07-2011, 03:33 PM
This is really intriguing me! Bartmoss, how did you decide what to theme the lines on? I can see the red line is your sitting room and the light blue line your kitchen, yellow looks like your bedroom and the dark blue the corridor...maybe? what about the green line?

I'm going to do one, but in a slightly different way.

Clercon
05-07-2011, 04:25 PM
This is really intriguing me! Bartmoss, how did you decide what to theme the lines on? I can see the red line is your sitting room and the light blue line your kitchen, yellow looks like your bedroom and the dark blue the corridor...maybe? what about the green line?

I'm looking forward to see it :-)

ravells
05-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Have to rethink....I was going to do a lifeline thing, with different 'lines' being different themes of my life, interests, girlfriends, jobs, places I'd lived etc....but it then occurred to me that it would be a bit too much of an identity thief's dream to post on the internet....ah well.

Talroth
05-07-2011, 10:15 PM
... and the 30 cm interior brick walls makes that impossible to change :-)

I have some structural steel and a hammer that would beg to differ on the impossible bit. :P

But cool little map. Only question is why the two parallel blue lines that go to the same two stations before branching off? (The closest I've been to a subway is one that makes tasty sandwiches.)

bartmoss
05-08-2011, 05:30 AM

My apartment is fairly simple. It's got a sort of L-shaped corridor, with the long bit running on the front door to bathroom axis, and the shorter bit running bedroom to living room.

I figured if this was a "town", you'd want one big express line that goes through the entire thing - the front door would be the "main station", where people access the city. The "fire escape", since it's the balcony, would perhaps be the airport. So one long connection between makes sense.

I picked a ring for the kitchen because if you do anything there, it's locally contained. In retrospective, the kitchen should be connected to the rest by a trainline, after all, you do not want to carry your dinner from Doorway to Kitchen Access, wait for another train, then change on a third train (red line) before you can finally eat at Food Corner station.

I think i thought too much in terms of geography and not enough in terms of traffic flow. Hmmmm...

bartmoss
05-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Version 2 - this one probably reflects traffic flow much better, though I feel it also looks much less elegant.

Clercon
05-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Have to rethink....I was going to do a lifeline thing, with different 'lines' being different themes of my life, interests, girlfriends, jobs, places I'd lived etc....but it then occurred to me that it would be a bit too much of an identity thief's dream to post on the internet....ah well.

I promise I wont tell anyone :-)

Clercon
05-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Only question is why the two parallel blue lines that go to the same two stations before branching off? (The closest I've been to a subway is one that makes tasty sandwiches.)
Well sometimes (at least in Stockholm) two different lines share the track for a part of the trip. So at one station you can get on trains from two lines at the same platform. Makes it easier (and more confusing for tourists) to travel and cheaper to build.

bartmoss
05-09-2011, 05:16 AM
Well sometimes (at least in Stockholm) two different lines share the track for a part of the trip. So at one station you can get on trains from two lines at the same platform. Makes it easier (and more confusing for tourists) to travel and cheaper to build.

I think that is very common in many cities.