PDA

View Full Version : *** April Challenge Voting - Aquatic Civilization ***

Immolate
04-28-2011, 10:51 PM
*** April Challenge Voting - Aquatic Civilization ***

The April 2011 Challenge has ended. The challenge was to create map of an an underwater realm. Participation remains pretty light and we'd like to encourage anyone interested to start getting involved. The level of competition was high, however, and whoever wins this one will have truly earned the gold compass.

The thumbnail machine is broken so I'm going to temporarily link the individual maps:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35165&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1303119105
RecklessEnthusiasm - the Underwater Citadel

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35311&d=1303588260&thumb=1
Gamerprinter - Sea River

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35139&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1302955287
Djekspek - Legendary City of Emria

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35287&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1303487061
LonewandererD - Beacon Station Awaterra 6

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35195&d=1302781145&thumb=1
Thurlor - Triqua Under-Ocean

This month we have 5 entries, so please vote for your one favorite entry. Remember to rep any map that you vote for, as well as any others that you feel deserve it.

This poll will close in 4 days time (the 2nd of May).

RecklessEnthusiasm
04-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Despite being unfinished, I voted for Legendary City of Emria by Djekspek. I lovee the grand scale and concept!

LonewandererD
04-29-2011, 01:59 AM
It was a toss up but I choose Gamerprinter's Sea River, it has more of a shallow/tropical water feel and I really like the greens which are lacking in the other maps.

-D-

morikahn
04-29-2011, 06:37 AM
I would have loved to have voted for the whale city, but I think it would be unfair to vote on something that is so unfinished. The sea river map looks good, but it didn't feel like something underwater. LonewandererD's Beacon station feels closest to the contest guidelines. It got my vote.

Djekspek
04-29-2011, 08:05 AM
ouch, completely forgot that the deadline was already due (I sometime lose track of dates :P ). Another thing to put on my huge "to-be-finished-later"-list... Anyway, great entries again:
RE: Most creative entry in my opinion, and really finished/complete with all the details
GP: The most 'mappy' and ready-to-use entry in my opinion
LonewanderD: Great underwater look!
Thurlor: Not finished but I like the concept very much

cheers, DJ

krasimir
04-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Voted for the Beacon station for the amazing detail. I do like the others as well, especially Emria.

jtougas
04-29-2011, 05:39 PM
My vote went to LonewandererD's - Beacon Station Awaterra 6 for the overall underwater "feel" of it. I really liked RE's as well GP's sea river was awesome but didn't quite feel underwater(y) Emria was such a great concept I almost voted for it just for that. Thulor's looked like a good idea too bad you didn't get to finish it (and I know how that goes.) :) All in all another great month of entries rep to you all. :)

Thurlor
04-30-2011, 09:18 AM
As I expected I didn't even come close to finishing, but I had fun and learnt something new. Anyways, my vote goes to Djekspek's 'Legendary City of Emria' for the awesome concept.

One thing that this challenge has taught me is not to try and learn a new program (Inkscape) to complete something in time for a deadline.

I'm going to continue working on the map I started and I may just post it up for some cc and general advice.

Katto
05-01-2011, 06:15 PM
LwD got my vote because of the details. RE's and Gameprinters's maps are fantastic, too.

Hey Imm, how do you manage your life with 11 months in your calendar? :)

Immolate
05-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I assure you I don't know what you're talking about ;)

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Always the bridesmade and never the bride... Good job, LonewandererD!

Ascension
05-02-2011, 01:28 AM
We CLs have to hibernate for a month every year in order to recoup our mojo. :)

bartmoss
05-02-2011, 05:40 AM
Picked the Legwendary City, I know it's unfinished but I like the execution and the concept.

Sadly the Underocean was just too unfinished to vote for.

The Citadel is nice too, but doesn't feel like a map, really. The Sea River simpyl isn't aquatic enough, though it's an awesome design. The beacon station looks awesome too - this would have been my main choice but I decied to pick the whale city because, well, damnit it's a city on the back of a giant whale!

Bonesworth
05-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Though, conceptually, I wanted to go with Djekspek's "Legendary City of Emria", I had to choose LonewandererD's "Beacon Station Awaterra 6". The Legendary City had the best original scheme but was unfinished while Beacon Station, lacking in originality, gave us a beautiful, finished rendering of an underwater utopia.

Gamerprinter
05-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Had to vote for LoneWandererD's map simply because it has a distinctive Sci-Fi look to the map and the CG is woefully lacking in Sci-Fi map designs. Djekspek's work is always remarkable, but then the entry wasn't finished, and I have higher expectations from him.

I do find it curious that several have commented that my entry doesn't look 'underwatery', yet I've gone Scuba diving in a dry suit in Puget Sound (among other places) and my entry looks exactly as it does in about 50 feet of water in the sea. Because of my experience having actually seen it in person, I am unable to create an underwater scene that might be better excepted by member votes (and not look like it really does.) I've seen the ocean at this depth and this is what it really looks like. So I'm at a loss for these kinds of comments.

But I've got more than enough wins under my belt. I wasn't seeking a challenge win, so much, as needing to make an undersea map - something I particularly enjoy doing. It looks like LoneWandererD has this challenge sewn up!

GP

Ascension
05-02-2011, 05:53 PM
All the reefs that I've been diving on in the Caribbean are usually quite dull and boring and mostly brownish. Someday I'll get to the Great Barrier Reef and see what a cool reef looks like.

Gamerprinter
05-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Actually the second largest reef in the world is off the Yucatan, mostly along Belize and part of Mexisco - so you don't have to go all the way to Australia to dive onto a large and lovely reef. Not that I'd ever see it, but photos of the Red Sea show an amazing amount of coral there. My experience of Puget Sound, even in a dry suit, was mostly - its damn cold out there! I did the dive only to witness the octopus common there, and I saw a few.

GP

Djekspek
05-02-2011, 06:32 PM
well well, we turn into a diving community :D .... I can recommend the Red Sea, been diving there a couple of times and can say it's amazing (especially the temperature of the water :) Regarding the 'underwater look' of your map GP, at about ten feet depth the red is mostly gone, so I think your map has a little too much red in it for that depth (unless someone has been using phostoshop to bring the colors back to life after taking the picture ;) cheers, DJ

torstan
05-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Had to vote for Lonewanderer's map - it's a great looking piece. And as for reefs, I can recommend the diving off Malaysia - particularly the Perhentian Islands. They have leatherback turtles and it's just magical.

torstan
05-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Congratulations to LoneWandererD for a fine win. I'm sure Immolate will be along shortly to give you your well deserved medal

Djekspek
05-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Gratz with the shiny medal LWD, well deserved! cheers, DJ

jtougas
05-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Congratulations. :)

LonewandererD
05-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Thans for the votes everyone, i never actually expected to win this. Up until the last second I was convinced some truly epic map would appear out of nowhere and win hands down.

-D-