PDA

View Full Version : *** May 2011 Challenge ***

Ascension
05-02-2011, 08:08 PM
This month's main challenge is pretty simple - make a map of a nation. Any style, any genre, island nation, part of a continent, road map, sat-style, ISO, whatever. The main things we'll be looking for are legibility of labels, clearly defined border (if part of a continent), and polished look. 1 entry per person. You have about 3 and 1/2 weeks. Good luck. :)

PS - don't forget to label your entry like "May 2011 Challenge Entry - My Map" and don't forget your wip tag like this ### Latest WIP ### or else the scraper will omit you (make the wip tag the last thing you type before uploading).

morikahn
05-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Good luck. I may be new to this site and competition, but not to making art and maps. Going to give you guys a run for your money!

I kinda thought they competition was going to be this: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?14481-Draw-a-map-by-hand, but being that I'm inclined towards digital art, I'm quite happy with 'nation building'

eViLe_eAgLe
05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
=) This is nice. Very simple yet open for Idea's.

Rythal
05-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Simplicity is bliss.

looking forward to the competition.

RjBeals
05-02-2011, 11:39 PM
DJ... care to give this a go? I want to see if I can beat you!

torstan
05-03-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm in :) Looking forward to it.

LonewandererD
05-03-2011, 04:31 AM
Cool, something I was thinking of doing anyway. Bring it on!

-D-

Steel General
05-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Hmmm... I might even give this one a go, see if the creative juices are flowing again.

LonewandererD
05-03-2011, 09:17 AM
You know, when I first read this map I thought "great, this is something I have a lot of experience with". Now I'm thinking "crap, this is something they've got a lot of experience with". I'd be surprise if this month's comp doesn't comes down to be a close race, I have no chance but it should be interesting to watch.

-D-

jtougas
05-03-2011, 01:28 PM
You know, when I first read this map I thought "great, this is something I have a lot of experience with". Now I'm thinking "crap, this is something they've got a lot of experience with". I'd be surprise if this month's comp doesn't comes down to be a close race, I have no chance but it should be interesting to watch.

-D-

Nonsense. You'll do great. Hmm.. I might even get in on this one... :)

torstan
05-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Absolutely. Your last entry was fantastic!

Gamerprinter
05-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Ah, a challenge I can safely bow out of, since I still am busier than I really ought to be, and since designing nations/continents/worlds are not my favorite kind of map. I prefer regional maps down to encounter scale, not the other way around. Good luck everyone, I'll keep track of activity, but I definitely won't be participating. (No guilt for missing another challenge!)

GP

Ascension
05-03-2011, 05:37 PM
The ISO style might not win this month as it's a style that doesn't lend itself easily to the parameters. Something more atlasy or antiquey might take the cake so give 'er a go.

bartmoss
05-04-2011, 02:36 AM
I'll try to join this one too. Just need to decide on what nation to map - I got so many that could use some mapping love.

Djekspek
05-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Ideas start spinning in my head and I want to enter as well. It's never the ideas but always the time to work them out properly that kills me (I'll only enter if I'm 100% sure I can finish in time, too many half-finished entries by me lately :P) ... and RJB, I think you already beat me in the big apple challenge, so no need to worry about that ;) cheers! DJ

gaaran
05-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Quick question, what are the rules on using brushes/icons created by other users that are marked as "free to use for whatever." I know that's normally totally fine, I was just curious if that was frowned upon for a competition or what have you. Thanks guys, and good luck to the entrants!

Ascension
05-05-2011, 12:49 AM
Technically it's ok. (name omitted) recently won a challenge and got a feature on the front page with Star Raven's brushes. Other folks make really pretty maps that get lots of "oohs" and "ahhs" with Vhailor's brush conversions of Ramah's work. In the past some folks have won challenges just by following one of the many tuts we have here (don't use any of my tuts - you won't win, heh heh). Personally, I almost never vote for maps where someone uses someone else's brushes (ya really gotta have something more to wow me) but most folks just go for the prettiest eye candy so it seems a good strategy.

Master TMO
05-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Since I was already at this stage with my latest WIP, just putting it off for other projects, I may just move this back onto the To-Do list and see how I fare.

bartmoss
05-09-2011, 05:47 PM
No WIP page for May?

Ascension
05-09-2011, 05:54 PM
We're trying to get some things fixed on the server so everything else is tied up for a while. Redrobes could provide the technical information but it's over my head unless it can be fixed with a large hammer and some watermelons.

Jaxilon
05-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, there I was on the Beach with my toes in the sand waffling about what to do with my sketch pad when I thought about this month's challenge. So I doodled out a Continent and thought, "it's not terrible so maybe I'll go ahead and scan it in for the monthly when I get home and then work on it some more". Then I get home and see about 20 or so entries that are totally smokin' awesome and I'm thinking I don't have enough time this month to polish mine up that nicely.

This is shaping up to be one of the best looking challenges I have seen since joining!

I still hope to join in just because I like to be involved and I need lots of practice with labeling but looking at the wall of entries I have to say, (even for me who has been in a lot of challenges and knows better), it's almost intimidating.

Master TMO
05-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Technically it's ok. (name omitted) recently won a challenge and got a feature on the front page with Star Raven's brushes. Other folks make really pretty maps that get lots of "oohs" and "ahhs" with Vhailor's brush conversions of Ramah's work. In the past some folks have won challenges just by following one of the many tuts we have here (don't use any of my tuts - you won't win, heh heh). Personally, I almost never vote for maps where someone uses someone else's brushes (ya really gotta have something more to wow me) but most folks just go for the prettiest eye candy so it seems a good strategy.

I'm not sure where FTPro lies in the eye candy department, but it's the tool I use, so it's what I'm entering. ;) I don't really expect I have much of a chance of winning, since I'm still fairly newb-ish at the whole mapping thing, even without any possible bias against the style (if there is any to speak of). If it helps console anyone, the FTPro map is only the baseline of the map - there's a good chunk of art and personal work layered on top of it.

RjBeals
05-17-2011, 11:55 PM
do we have a firm end date for this challenge? Last day of May?

I'm going to struggle to finish mine - new job and 3 kids in school with end of year activities and vacations and stuff. you all know - real life stuff. If I have a deadline, it helps me focus.

Master TMO
05-18-2011, 12:06 AM
4 or 5 days before the end of the month. I'd set your deadline for a week though, just to give yourself some slip time.

RobA
05-18-2011, 02:26 AM
Thumbnails are working again.... http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?2066-Current-Challenge-Entry-Thumbnails

Nice group of entries this month!

-Rob A>

RobA
05-18-2011, 02:26 AM
Thumbnails are working again.... http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?2066-Current-Challenge-Entry-Thumbnails

Nice group of entries this month!

-Rob A>

Seraphine_Harmonium
05-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Ah, there's more time left than I thought! I might just be able to give this a shot after all . . .

Master TMO
05-26-2011, 12:14 PM
So when does this get locked down?

Ascension
05-26-2011, 05:31 PM
I like to give folks as much time as needed and weekends are good for getting everything done. I, myself, have little time during the week so I do most of my work on weekends. So I'm thinking some time Sunday night.