PDA

View Full Version : May 2011 Challenge Entry - The Tripartite

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-03-2011, 05:26 PM
The idea here is a walled nation comprised of three races, all working together. Sure, they have their tiffs and problems, but they work it out for the good of the whole, and there is always a third vote to break ties.

I have, in the past, found myself drawn to a vaguely cartoony style, which is very different and a lot harder than my normal texture-manipulation-and-layer-effects methods. But the point of these challenges is o make yourself grow as an artist, right?!

Anyway, I have just started and am getting my footing here, so it might be pretty ugly for a while. I've made basic sketchup shapes to help me with perspective and consistency, then I am going in with a 3px brush with shape/transparency dynamics on it to sketch in the detail. This is also going to be a new experience for me, as I normally love crisp black lines which allows for easy coloring...

I think I've bitten off a lot here, and it remains to be seen if I'll be able to chew it.

Started work on the basic layout and have gone in to start sketching the first city--the human one.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
05-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Love the way you draw them buildings, man.

torstan
05-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Great start - I love the light/dark motif you're going with.

eViLe_eAgLe
05-03-2011, 07:29 PM
It reminds me of the cover or loading screen of Black And white 2.

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Everything is still very rough, but it is coming along.

### Latest WIP ###

eViLe_eAgLe
05-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Very very nice :)

LonewandererD
05-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Grr, i was thinking of doing something similiar, not only did you get to the idea first you're doing it better than I could. Good start, now I shall shake my fist at you while I move onto my backup idea.

-D-

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-04-2011, 12:25 AM
After your sweeping victory in the last challenge, someone has to throw some roadblocks on your way! :)

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-04-2011, 12:26 AM
I noticed everything was a little off-kilter. Whoops. Hopefully that is fixed.

I think the key here will be filling up the landscape. Also considering some kind of central meeting hall in the center of the map... I'm anxious to see where this goes.

### Latest WIP ###

jtougas
05-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Very Very Cool. :)

Clercon
05-05-2011, 06:47 PM
This looks very promising :-)

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Still muddling my way through, trying different effects.

### Latest WIP ###

LonewandererD
05-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Ooh, that is both so far awesome and discouraging. Liking the waves and cliffs the tree trunks sprouting down from the forests look a bit like bird legs and they sprout off in different directions, maybe changing them to simpler straighter trunks will look better, just my thought.

-D-

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks, D! I am trying to figure out techniques for getting textures onto the ground/mountains that looks like it fits. Never really hand-drew textures before, so I'll need to figure that out. I'll take your advice on the trunks!

jtougas
05-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Once again my little girl has ever so wisely decided that I should vote for this. It's cartoony and cute and overall just great. :)

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Glad my work appeals! I'll try not to let her down.

The latest iteration.

### Latest WIP ###

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-10-2011, 01:26 AM
I think I'm actually nearing completion. I have a few other small ideas for changes and additions, but I think I'm going to be done with plenty of time this month.

### Latest WIP ###

eViLe_eAgLe
05-10-2011, 01:32 AM
I really really like this! Repped.. Again!

Ramah
05-10-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm liking this a lot but not your hills. They look pretty poor compared to the rest of it. Maybe it's because they are so big it really shows up the lack of detail on them. Or it might be the actual colouring of them... dunno. Anyhoos, just a thought but have you tried putting a highlight on the right-hand side of your elements to show moonglow? Have stuff, especially those on the right of the map, casting a shadow on the other side too, albeit somewhat lighter? Two light sources would give two shadows.

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Very good advice, Ramah. Thanks.

Yes, the hills are ugly and need some work. I also need some sort of hills or texture on the right side of the map so it doesn't look empty, and fix a couple little wonky shadow problems.

I am also concerned that my fuzzy shadows make everything look a little blurry, so I might tone the blurriness down a little. I will give some light moon-shadows a shot and see how they look.

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Fiddled with the details/coloring on the hills. Hopefully they are a little more appealing. I suppose I might go back in and make them smaller, but I kind of like the wacky disregard for scale that I've got going...

Added some more hills to fill out the terrain and the Tripartite's flagship. I think I'll probably label and name it.. any suggestions?

### Latest WIP ###

LonewandererD
05-12-2011, 05:21 AM
While I love the map I don't whether its the font or the colour but the label for Seaguard is a bit hard to make, looks a bit too bright and "squiggly" if that makes sense.

-D-

rdanhenry
05-12-2011, 06:08 AM
All the town names are a bit hard to read. Given the size of those scrolls, couldn't you at least spread the letters out a little so there's space between them? Not terribly fond of those letters anyway, but I think they'd be a lot better if they weren't right on top of each other.

The hills I'm okay with. As noted, the whole thing is obviously not to scale anyway.

A name for the ship? Triceratops, after the heraldic emblem of the Tripartite?

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Sounds like good advice! Triceratops it is, unless anyone can think of something better!

Is this font an improvement?

### Latest WIP ###

rdanhenry
05-12-2011, 06:35 PM
That's a lot more readable, IMO.

Djekspek
05-13-2011, 06:33 PM
those castles look awesome! As for the fonts I'm not sure, i think the capital T of this font looks odd, and you have some labels starting with a T... Also they look a little too 'bold' to me. Maybe a little more handdrawn/script font will fit better with this style... but hey, I suck at labelling, so maybe this is poor advise ;) cheers, DJ

jtougas
05-13-2011, 06:59 PM
This is so great. (Although the little girl would have voted for "The Ava Grace" as the name of the ship.. :) )

ravells
05-13-2011, 08:03 PM
I *really* love this map. It has originality written all over it. Bit more working on the style and it will be pure gold.

eViLe_eAgLe
05-15-2011, 02:45 AM
I hope you don't mind if I try and imitate this?

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Emulate away, evile. And thanks for the advice, guys. I don't really have any more time to work on this this month, so I'll post my final version, mostly the same as the last with the slightly harder lines reinstated. Hopefully I'll get a chance to revisit this style in the future!

### Latest WIP ###