PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Hohenfriedberg (WIP)

timallen
05-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Hey all.

Its been some time since I worked on a boardgame map. I have been mostly working on other graphics for Victory Point Games (cards, charts, and such). But when I was searching around on the BoardGameGeek website I found a kool looking little wargame on the Battle of Hohenfriedberg. It is a so-called postcard game, as all the important bits can be fitted onto a postcard- the counters, rules and map! I downloaded it and decided to blow it up in size and punch up the graphics a bit. Here is the original.

timallen
05-05-2011, 05:40 PM
And here after much tweaking, is my version of the same map.

I am also working up some new counters to go with it. I just need some time to sit down and get this completed.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@1022.LS0gc7sQiau.3@.1dcfc422/9049!enclosure=.1dd549f2

My apologies for not using the regular attachments manager, but for some reason its not working for me right now. Instead this image was pasted in here off a wargamers website I frequent.

Steel General
05-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Looking good so far...

timallen
05-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks. Last night I changed the coloured markers that show where to set up your units to long rectangles, that hopefully look something like a pre-20th century map of a battlefield. Oh and just to be clear; this was originally a game I found on the BoardGameGeek website and it was a free downloadable, print-and-play game. The original came on two pages, with the first page having all the rules, the map and the counters, and the next page a bit of history on the battle. I was thinking of upsizing the map and putting it and all the rest (except the history) onto an 11x17 page, but now I am thinking of putting the map, counters and rules onto three seperate letter sized pages.

Doh! looks like I missed resizing one of the town names.

timallen
05-06-2011, 11:28 AM
I have also started working a bit on the counters. I have been gathering images off the "Junior General" website of top-down views of appropriate soldiers, cavalry, and cannons. Here is what I have so far...not bad, but much of the detail on the soldiers gets lost when shrinking them down to board-wargame counter size. I may have to see if something better can be done. Although these still look pretty good.

Greenhorn
05-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Hallo, Tim, very fine map indeed :)
But for me the whole work is a little bit flawed because there's a little typo in the name of the battle: should be "Hohenfriedberg" (without the 3rd "e"). Now you may call me a nitpicker but imagine a game with f.e. "Gettisburg" prominently in the title ;)
Note that the left side is the north side. So you may add a little compass or something like that.
And for Günthersdorf I proudly present you an umlaut: ü
If you want to add some placenames: The sole woods hex in the center is the Fuchs-Berg. The swamps are called (The) Gule and contained many small ponds which you may add.

Here is a very fine map of this battle: http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af171/Rollmann82/Hohenfriedberg/Hohenfriedberg.jpg

For the graphix issue I would be more carefull with the shadows behind the little houses. The now look like individual 2D graphics.

rdanhenry
05-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Greenhorn, the map you link to includes the "e" that you say doesn't belong... what's the deal?

timallen
05-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks Greenhorn! That's all good info. I must confess that this is not a battle I know much about, so this all helps.

Here is the latest map, with your corrections, and other changes (most notably, with a white hex grid instead of the dark gray one).

Opinions?

Greenhorn
05-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Yes, this looks much better. Now it's one of those gamemaps which may seem to cry loud "Play me!!" ;)

One small typo still left: it's the Fuchs-Berg ("Fox-Mountain") without "Forest".

The original gamemap has also some higher level. Was it your intention to leave this out?

Ascension
05-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Greenhorn - We have quite a few Polish members (other than myself) so that sort of info is cared about. It would be wise to think before you type...we're not all a bunch of 14 year olds here.

timallen
05-12-2011, 12:20 AM
I was inspired by finding a very kool font someone else here used. I think the map is almost done. Now I just have to re-do the counters.

Greenhorn
05-13-2011, 10:00 AM
While the font looks fine you may adjust it a bit.
The year is very hard to read, also the "9th". Maybe you can use a different, better readable font for the numbers?
The "The" is far too near to "Battle" because of the large "curve" of the "B".
The Fuchs-Berg still misses it's s ;-) (The "F" should also be nearer to the "u". I don't know the English word for "Spationierung" which means the spacing between two letters.)
For the trees: you may try to place them ABOVE the streams. Note that parts of some trees are also cut off at the southern fringe.

Sorry, I'm German. So I may sometimes not use the correct English words for what I mean ;-) But I hope you can see what I mean.

Ascension
05-13-2011, 04:11 PM
He's talking about kerning - the space between letters. That's the main problem with free fonts - they're not kerned properly, and most not at all, so you have to do it manually. That part takes me a good deal of time usually.

timallen
05-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Agreed that the font isnt the best. I love the overall look it gives, but I am experimenting with other fonts to find one that is easier to read but still gives a hand written feel. I have also continued to work on the counters. Here are a few examples of what I have so far. I probably have to add in some colour to distiguish the counters a bit more. Or maybe a flag in the background, or in a corner. We'll see.

Greenhorn
05-13-2011, 05:48 PM
He's talking about kerning - the space between letters.
Vielen, vielen Dank :-)

Tim, the nations of the counters are almost impossible to distinguish ... expecially if there's poor light above the gamemap. I recommend to go with the good old background colors.

timallen
05-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Is this better?

Greenhorn
05-14-2011, 05:58 AM
Decide by yourself ;-) :
http://pics44.de/img/i/l/4/cn3l56j1.jpg

For my thaste the flags are a little bit too much and also unneccessary.

timallen
05-14-2011, 10:35 AM
But I like flags! :-)

Ascension
05-14-2011, 01:50 PM
I like the flags as well. You know what you're doing Tim - you're the best board game designer here.

timallen
05-16-2011, 09:42 PM
I think I have pretty much finished off the counters and map for this game now. Opinions?

rdanhenry
05-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Under "Turn Sequence": "calalry" should probably be "cavalry", "a players turn" s/b "a player's turn", looks like you have an extra space between "all" and "of his flipped".

Under "Movement": "You many move" s/b "You may move", missed capitalizing "flipped" at start of sentence.

Under "Attack": "is equal or greater than" s/b "is equal to or greater than","the the target" s/b "the target" or maybe "then the target", remove period before "(choice of defender)", "The" in "If The target unit" should not be capitalized.

Under "Special rules": capitalize "rules" in section title for consistency, "Only" should not be capitalized.

Standardize to spelling either "defense" or "defence".

timallen
05-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Doh! OK, thanks for pointing those out. Obviously I was in too much of a rush.

timallen
05-19-2011, 01:58 PM
I (hopefully) have now corrected all the typos. I also re-sized the map so that it can be easily printed out onto standard letter sized paper. The map had to be shrunk down a bit to fit, so I shrank the counters down a tad also. Now there is an additional page just for the rules. I am declaring this one Done!

arsheesh
05-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Gotta say Tim, this is turning out really nice!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

timallen
05-25-2011, 11:32 AM
I uploaded those files to BoardGameGeek.com and someone has already built a copy of the game! Looks like the colours worked out fine (sometimes the printers dont print the colours I see on the screen, but in this case what I see is what you get).

I gotta get my own copy made up now...

dchadwick
03-04-2012, 01:39 PM
I really like the overall look, feel and structure of this wargame.....it has the simplicity of what some are calling a 'pocket wargame'...but also reflects the attributes of this conflict. Really nice job on the graphics Tim - very professional work.