PDA

View Full Version : May 2011 Challenge Entry: The Island Nation of Amosi

Greel
05-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Found this site a few weeks ago and have quickly become enamored with making maps. This challenge looked simple enough for me to do, seeing as I lack all artistic ability.

I'm gong for more of a satellite view rather than a stylized/hand drawn/"old school" stye.

(not quite sure how to get it to show up as a thumbnail)

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
05-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Our forum software is wonky so the thumbs don't always show up properly. The way to fix it is to resave the image and then reupload it...as many times as it takes for the thumb to show up (usually 2 or 3 times). Or you can just not worry about it as the link will pop-up the image just fine. Either way. :) Looks like a good start, diggin' those waves.

Tigon
05-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Not a bad first post to have Greel. Be nice to see how the map gets populated. Any idea of scale?

Steel General
05-06-2011, 07:32 AM
It looks like a good start...

Oh, and Welcome Aboard! Good to see a "Applicant" jump right into a challenge.

Greel
05-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Added a bunch of textures to the map, as well as started laying out and naming populated areas/areas of interest.

### Latest WIP ###

arsheesh
05-07-2011, 03:49 AM
Hey welcome to the Guild Greel. Way to jump right into the things. That's a nice looking map you're working on. I like the Sat-Style coloring you've done.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

jtougas
05-07-2011, 04:20 PM
That is really looking great. :)

Troedel
05-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Looking good. But I think the River Police will show up eventually. One river flows down and up again and there is that lake on top of the mountain in the north.
Those waves are great!

LonewandererD
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Yeah, besides the river violations it looks real nice so far. Two more river violations that you should probably address though, to the southeast of Adyno City you have a river that splits into two, this only natural happens at deltas and wouldn'y happen that far inland. Also to the northwest of Adyno City you have a lake with no outlet, almost all lakes have an outlet to the sea with the exception of those few "inland seas" like the caspian sea, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Other than that, keep it up.

-D-

bartmoss
05-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Make way, make way! River police arriving! Numerous river violations have been detected on your map! There's really a lot of them, Lonewanderer already summed some up. I also don't buy your vast lakes that sit right on the peaks of mountain chains. That said, it's a beautiful map - looking forward to the next WIP.

rdanhenry
05-10-2011, 02:58 PM
This looks like an advanced civilization, so maybe they're canal-obsessed (but not straight-line obsessed), which would excuse most of the river-splitting, (and all those lakes suggest damming) but that long lake atop the mountain range is just unbelievable. Only canals run sea-to-sea, rivers never. Lakes have one outlet (exceptions are possible only temporarily - as a short-term phenomenon even by human terms - quickly reduced to one) barring magical or technological interference.

Greel
05-10-2011, 10:31 PM
I (hopefully) fixed most of the rivers. I removed some, and added a few others. I liked the concept of the giant lake on top of the mountain, but agree that it just didn't look right. I also changed the three big lakes in the middle to one giant sea as well as doubled the scale, so a few areas seem more believable.

### Latest WIP ###

Lalaithion
05-18-2011, 01:22 AM
i really like the giant sea in the middle. favorite part of the map.